Thetis v2.8.11 - UPDATES and current issues

ramdor

Re: Thetis v2.8.11 - UPDATES and current issues

Postby ramdor » Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:24 pm

So that time went fast. Hope you all had a good Christmas/Holiday.

Hoping to get 21k8 wrapped up and out sometime on Friday (currently Wed). Here is a quick look vid : https://youtu.be/6s0JUs4IzM4

There are a couple of things I need to tidy before releasing it, but I should be able to sort that before Friday.

Cheers, Richie.
Joe

Postby Joe » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:32 pm

Richie,
Thanks so much for your work with Thetis. I really look forward to the new updates and source code availability. Everything you have implemented is great! I know you have so much time invested in this work and looking forward to a bit of time off. Hope you had a great Christmas and wish you a great New Year!

Thanks,
Joe
WD5Y
Joerg

Postby Joerg » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:19 pm

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for your great work.
Thetis has made a big step forward with you, it is a great program, I am looking forward to the further developments.
Dear Richie, I wish you and your loved ones a good start into the new year, stay healthy and always in good spirits.

With best wishes!

Joerg, DD8JM
Taiga

Postby Taiga » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:53 pm

Hi Richie,
Hope you had a great Xmas. Wishing you & your family health, happiness & prosperity for 2022, and would like to thank you for all of the superb work you've done for our SDR community, especially for those of us with Anan radios!

Taiga
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:44 pm

Hello Scott and Richie,

Thank you both and everyone else for all the help and advice in 2021. This is a great bunch of folks. May 2022 be a better year.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Ruben
NB4R
Apache-Labs Anan 7000DLE MKII Black -- Thetis 2.10.3.6 dev_2 -- Windows 11
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:39 pm

UPDATE 21k8

Hey all,

Post 1 has been updated with 21k8. VS2019 is still being used on a Windows11 machine.

Please note there have been some extensive changes to vfo display position code to fix issues with the various split options not showing the zero line/filter in the correct place. These issues have existed for quite some time, the version released in 2020 and previous versions. There are probably issues in this version related to those changes, but hopefully we can isolate them and fix them in the short term.

There have also been some changes to the PureSignal 'client side' processing. PS now runs in its own dedicated thread. In my testing I have not noticed any change but your mileage may vary.

If you are having issues with this version please report the issues here and downgrade to what you were using before.

I am planning on releasing another version perhaps 21l sometime in January to fix issues found in this version. At that point the code will go off to Doug and hopefully he will release an official distribution.

Download count for 21k7 : 552

Happy New Year !!

Richie.

21k8
fix: dragging passband filter edges updates VAR1 with current low or high before the switch. Prevents recall of other side of filter
fix: dragging whole filter (shift) does not highlight edges when approaching them
fix: CTUN issues when not using Panafall/Waterfall/Panascope/Panadapter resolved. Also fixes issues with phase display and changing frequency when in CTUN
fix: DUP now works when using Panascope for RX1
fix: RX signal history now shown in meter when TX meter is Fwd SWR
fix: re-work of duplex/non duplex/ctun/non ctun to handle split. Filters/zeroline should now be in the correct place in the spectrum when in split.
fix: DUP off dBm gain issue for rx2 resolved
fix: thread safe notch deletion
change: dragging agc gain slider, clicking G-/F-, changing gain via midi/cat/memory/andromeda slider window will cause 'auto agc' to turn off
change: dither + random are enabled on fresh install
change: -G/F becomes -Ga/-Fa if 'auto agc' is enabled
change: all tx profile settings are checked for change
change: live CFC compression view now uses peak-decay algorithm from Warren
change: PS loop(s) are now in own thread instead of a UI timer(s)
change: enable keyboard shortcuts option moved to keyboard tab
change: using shortcut ctrl-f/alt-f will select var1 filter
change: increased step size for ctrl-F/alt-F from 10hz to 50hz
change: K/L keyboard shortcuts moved to ctrl-J/alt-J as they could conflict with a user keyboard definition
change: ctrl-J/alt-J keyboard shortcuts now select var1 filter
change: qsk using rx1hangthreshold. ToDo - rx2 hang threshold should be used if rx2 split tx?
change: speed of noise floor acquisition improved
change: peak blob and active peak display are temporarily hidden under certain conditions
add: ptt keyboard short cut code added. Use same key for pttRX+pttTX if you want ptt toggle
Last edited by ramdor on Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ea3aqr

Postby ea3aqr » Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:50 pm

Thanks a lot Richie!

Just one suggestion for the next release:

Please, can you also dissable auto agc compensation when using the mouse wheel to adjust it?

Have a happy new year!
Last edited by ea3aqr on Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New call sign EA3CL
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:51 pm

ea3aqr wrote:Thanks a lot Richie!

Just one suggestion for the next release:

Can you please also dissable auto agc compensation when using the mouse wheel to adjust it?

Have a happy new year!

yep

R.
Adam

Postby Adam » Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:13 pm

Hi Ritchie

Thank you for all the work and progress you've achieved in updating Thetis to a truly wonderful program.

I wish you, and yours a very Happy New Year.

73 Adam - G0AUR
Joe

Postby Joe » Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:41 pm

Richie,
Thanks, your work is very much appreciated. Hope you have a great New Year!

73’s
Joe
WD5Y
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:01 pm

Hi Richie,

When I roll through the bandstack registers, NR2 keeps on being turned off. It seems to happen when you hit a register that does not have NR2 enabled. After passing that in the rotation, NR2 is disabled in all registers for that band.

Cheers & HNY!

Scott
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:29 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:Hi Richie,

When I roll through the bandstack registers, NR2 keeps on being turned off. It seems to happen when you hit a register that does not have NR2 enabled. After passing that in the rotation, NR2 is disabled in all registers for that band.

Cheers & HNY!

Scott

NR2 et al state is not stored in the bandstack data and subsequently not restored. Perhaps you are cycling through the stack to an entry which changes to a mode that has NR2 disabled such as DIGL/U ?

edit: and yep, the store of nr/nr2/etc has been requested for bandstack info

R.
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:42 pm

Happy new year 2022 to all of you!

21k8 runs flawless here :-) Thanks Richie for your effort!

73 Ernst
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:56 pm

Happy New Year!

I've been trying to break 21k8 since yesterday. No issues at this point. Thank you very much for the update!
Ruben
NB4R
Apache-Labs Anan 7000DLE MKII Black -- Thetis 2.10.3.6 dev_2 -- Windows 11
gi4nkb

Postby gi4nkb » Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:39 pm

Hi Richie!
Happy new year and many thanks for all your hard work it is greatly appreciated. Would it be possible to lose the multirx zero line in some future update? Also I have noticed that when setup -> general -> options-1 -> miscellaneous -> always on top is selected it is impossible to right click on a multi tracking notch to delete it. I believe this may be because of the way the multi tracking notch is implemented.

73, Frank GI4NKB
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:39 pm

Happy New Year Richie and thank you for all the work you did with 2.8.11 -21k8. After watching your video I am amazed at all the "untangling" of code that you dealt with under the hood in Thetis. I have been running it hard for hours and it has been completely flawless here with my 200D running protocol 2. Looks like a great release!

Thank you also to Warren for the work on the CFC display!

73, Rob W1AEX
"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:22 pm

gi4nkb wrote:Hi Richie!
Happy new year and many thanks for all your hard work it is greatly appreciated. Would it be possible to lose the multirx zero line in some future update? Also I have noticed that when setup -> general -> options-1 -> miscellaneous -> always on top is selected it is impossible to right click on a multi tracking notch to delete it. I believe this may be because of the way the multi tracking notch is implemented.

73, Frank GI4NKB

Hi Frank, thanks for this. A fix is in place for the the next release.

In the mean time, to remove the notches you can shift-middle mouse button click on them, or use setup->dsp->mnf to delete.

Richie.
dl5tt

Postby dl5tt » Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:57 pm

Hi Richie,

1st: I wish you a happy new year and
2nd: Thanks for your great job and time your are investing here.
And now my concern:
For me the diversity function is very important, due to a lot of local QRM.
I am not sure, if you had the time for all my wishes / proposals concerning the diversity function.
My issues were placed in my replies from 29. June and 3. 13. and 18. of July.

I saw, that one bug (aborting when typing numbers in the locked box) is fixed.
Had you the time for my other wishes / proposals regarding the diversity functions?

And please forgive me, when I didn't recognize a fix of my issues. I didn't install all of your releases, because I have to go back every time until diversity is running or until I can download your source code (for own modifications) from github.
In the last version which I tested, the values were limited to 1 and I need values up to 5 (or better 10).

Thanks again for your great work.
73 de Josef
Actual system: ANAN-7000DLE MKII Protocol 2, external PC Ryzen 5600G, direct ethernet connection.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:46 pm

@dl5tt Josef, most (if not all) of your diversity concerns (and zero beat issue) were addressed in 21b, 21d and 21f, all released sometime in July 2021, including the ability to change the max gain beyond 1.

Richie.
Joerg

Postby Joerg » Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:26 am

Hi Richie,

on the video https://youtu.be/c-7youfWnaA I show the CTUN function turned on and its behavior when you click to position it on the outer set band limits. No matter if you select a frequency at 3,600 Khz or at 3,800 Khz, the display jumps, the set range is not fixed. This behavior is already known from PowerSDR and is not a problem of Thetis. The lack of this feature has already been pointed out in the Apache forum, unfortunately this issue has not been addressed.

Here is another request about the topic from Sigi DH1KLM:

Hi Richie,
first of all I want to thank you for your great work on Thetis.
I would like to ask if it is possible to reintroduce the "CTUN Scroll" checkbox like in PowerSDR mrx.
I really liked this option as it prevents you from moving beyond the edges of the display, especially when zooming a whole band from edge to edge.
I know that CTUN Scroll also works in Thetis, but without the option to prevent scrolling beyond the edge of the spectral display.
Maybe it is possible to add a feature that allows a "fixed display"?

Especially for protocol 2 this makes sense, here you can display the whole range of a band at 384Kb sample rate.

Dear Richie, I'm sure there are many OM's who would be happy about this feature, maybe you can still put this request on your TO/DO list.

Many greetings and many thanks for the many and great work you do.

Jörg, DD8JM
dl5tt

Postby dl5tt » Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:22 pm

ramdor wrote:@dl5tt Josef, most (if not all) of your diversity concerns (and zero beat issue) were addressed in 21b, 21d and 21f, all released sometime in July 2021, including the ability to change the max gain beyond 1.

Richie.

Hi Richie,

tnx for your quick reply.
I downloaded your latest version and testet the diversity-functions.
Because I have to use diversity nearly all the time, an easy and quick handling is very important for me.
So I have some additional wishes / proposals in the screenshot below. May be they are universally valid for other users of diversity.

Thanks in advance for your patience with me.
73 de Josef
Attachments
2022-01-02 13_15_20-Window.png
2022-01-02 13_15_20-Window.png (162.1 KiB) Viewed 10075 times
Actual system: ANAN-7000DLE MKII Protocol 2, external PC Ryzen 5600G, direct ethernet connection.
gi4nkb

Postby gi4nkb » Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:24 pm

ramdor wrote:
gi4nkb wrote:Hi Richie!

73, Frank GI4NKB

Hi Frank, thanks for this. A fix is in place for the the next release.

In the mean time, to remove the notches you can shift-middle mouse button click on them, or use setup->dsp->mnf to delete.

Richie.

Hi Richie, that was quick! :) Cheers and thanks.

73, Frank
radiomon1

Postby radiomon1 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:06 pm

Richie
Thank you for the latest update to an already fantastic piece of software. I have noticed an issue though. When I set the TUNE level, it seems to take the initial value, but I cannot vary this level. This appears to have a differing effect from HF that seems to stay at the same level, and VHF through the transverter, that immediately sets to the lowest value when the CTUN is dragged.

Kindest Regads
Merry Christmas and Happy New year to you and the family
sv1jso

Postby sv1jso » Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:13 pm

Hello,

Happy new year to everyone and thanks Richie for your efforts.
I see a small bug but I am not sure if is the latest version or something in my database.
I use diversity a lot and the second receiver filters are not following the main receiver. I use the VFO Sync all the time for this. The only way to do that now is to enable RX2 and then disable it. Then the second receiver's BPF is following the frequency of the second receiver.

Regards

Mike SV1JSO
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:56 pm

radiomon1 wrote:Richie
Thank you for the latest update to an already fantastic piece of software. I have noticed an issue though. When I set the TUNE level, it seems to take the initial value, but I cannot vary this level. This appears to have a differing effect from HF that seems to stay at the same level, and VHF through the transverter, that immediately sets to the lowest value when the CTUN is dragged.

Kindest Regads
Merry Christmas and Happy New year to you and the family

If you have TUNE set to 'Use Drive Power' then tune will use whatever the drive power is for the specific band you are on. Each band 'remembers' the drive power that has been set.

If 'Use Drive Power' is unchecked then it will use the value set in Setup. You can move the drive power slider when tuning, but the value is not stored against the TUNE setting in Setup.

I could not replicate any strange behaviour using HF/transverter. You may have to make a video.

R.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:10 pm

sv1jso wrote:Hello,

Happy new year to everyone and thanks Richie for your efforts.
I see a small bug but I am not sure if is the latest version or something in my database.
I use diversity a lot and the second receiver filters are not following the main receiver. I use the VFO Sync all the time for this. The only way to do that now is to enable RX2 and then disable it. Then the second receiver's BPF is following the frequency of the second receiver.

Regards

Mike SV1JSO

yes, there are some inconstancies with VFOSync and filter alignment. For example when RX2 is shown, and VFOSync is enabled :

selecting an RX1 filter will not also select the same RX2 filter
adjusting the size of RX1 filter will not adjust size of RX2 filter
adjusting shift of RX1 filter will not adjust RX2
most adjustments to RX2 filter when VFOSync is on are caused by VFOA frequency change

edit: also, rx2 has a subset of filters compared to rx1 for some unknown reason, so it will not always be possible to align them. So either I have to rework RX2 filter grid, or switch to an RX2 var1. Also, filters for RX1 may have different settings to filters for RX2, so what do we do? use rx1 filters on rx2 when in vfosync mode, or copy over the settings and change what was previously set in rx2? All a hotchpotch tbh.

I will look into some fixes around that area.

Richie.
sv1jso

Postby sv1jso » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:21 pm

Thanks Richie for the reply,

I was talking about the band pass filters of the second receiver: Setup/General/ANT/Filters/BPF2.

Regards
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:25 pm

sv1jso wrote:Thanks Richie for the reply,

I was talking about the band pass filters of the second receiver: Setup/General/ANT/Filters/BPF2.

Regards

ah ok. Radio? Protocol?

edit: when RX2 is off, and you turn VFOSYnc ON, does VFOB update with VFOA freq?

R.
Last edited by ramdor on Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sv1jso

Postby sv1jso » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:27 pm

Radio is 7000 blue face and protocol 2.

Yes frequency is updated.

Thanks
Mike SV1JSO
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:41 pm

sv1jso wrote:Yes frequency is updated.

Odd, working here fine. When VFOB changes frequency, BPF2 is adjusted if needed. Do the BPF2 ranges look correct in setup?

Perhaps send me your database.xml ? Email over on qrz against my call, MW0LGE

R.

Return to “Thetis”