Thetis v2.8.11 - UPDATES and current issues

ramdor

Re: Thetis 2_8_11 changes/ideas/wants/wishes

Postby ramdor » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:11 pm

Mike_N1JEZ wrote:Can the Xverter section be looked at? I just tried entering settings for a 2M transverter with a 28 MHz IF, but when I select VHF and 144 MHz, it sets my Hermes board to 0.00MHz.

Mike, N1JEZ

Hi Mike, try the following...

1) setup your vhf ranges in the xvtr setup window
2) select the VHF+ button (yellow) on the right hand side band selector
3) then click on the 2m button (vhf0 or whatever you named it)
4) if it jumps to 0.00 enter 145.0 in the vfoA box and press enter, this should move you to 2m band, and initialise the last visited in the stack

I know about this issue, but have not really spent any time resolving it.

Scot, please move this to issues thread if you have a mo.

Cheers, Richie.
w-u-2-o

Re: Thetis v2.8.11 - current issues

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:59 pm

It looks like Setup > Options > Options-1 > Wheel Tunes Outside Spectral might be broken.

With CTUN ON, and the abovementioned option also on, and the zoom set so that the DDC extents are well outside of the spectral display bandwidth, when I spin the VFO past the edge of the spectral display the display will scroll to keep the passband visible.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:53 pm

With 'wheel tunes outside spectral area' unchecked, mouse wheel VFO tunes will only occur in the yellow areas. With it checked you can use mouse wheel anywhere to tune VFOA.

I must have been brain-dead when I wrote that post, Richie. I totally forgot what this setting was all about! Sorry!

73!

Scott
Attachments
wt.jpg
wt.jpg (63.49 KiB) Viewed 8784 times
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:32 pm

Rich,

When starting a new Thetis session, Fwd SWR mode still won't persist in the TX Multimeter window after TUN is pressed and released. TUN causes the TX Meter in the main window to change to Fwd Pwr (my Tune TX Meter is also set to Fwd SWR in the Transmit tab, if that does matter any).

I posted earlier that the TX Multimeter does correctly open in Fwd SWR mode on Thetis startup, but It still gets jacked as soon as TUN is pressed and released.

Mark
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:22 pm

K1LSB wrote:Rich,

When starting a new Thetis session, Fwd SWR mode still won't persist in the TX Multimeter window after TUN is pressed and released. TUN causes the TX Meter in the main window to change to Fwd Pwr (my Tune TX Meter is also set to Fwd SWR in the Transmit tab, if that does matter any).

I posted earlier that the TX Multimeter does correctly open in Fwd SWR mode on Thetis startup, but It still gets jacked as soon as TUN is pressed and released.

Mark

please send me DB again, I have been unable to get this to happen. Do you have any other software connected via cat that might be changing/setting the meter mode? Unfortunately, if I can't replicate it, I can't fix it.

R.
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:18 am

Rich,

Database sent.

There are several posts by other users this year regarding this same issue:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3677&p=13320&hilit=fwd+swr#p13320

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3793&p=14414&hilit=fwd+swr#p14414

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3793&p=14443&hilit=fwd+swr#p14443

I'll be glad to help debug in any way I can, if I can.

Thanks,
Mark
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:04 am

K1LSB wrote:Rich,

Database sent.

There are several posts by other users this year regarding this same issue:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3677&p=13320&hilit=fwd+swr#p13320

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3793&p=14414&hilit=fwd+swr#p14414

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3793&p=14443&hilit=fwd+swr#p14443

I'll be glad to help debug in any way I can, if I can.

Thanks,
Mark

Replied via email.... I can not replicate it, even with your DB. https://youtu.be/XW6Vv28pgyY

Richie.
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:27 am

Rich,

You're misunderstanding what I was describing but I'm sure that's my own fault so let me try again...

Here are the steps to replicate what I'm encountering:

1: Start the Thetis session and make sure that the TX meter in the Transmit tab is set to Fwd SWR (you do that in your video, so far so good).
2: Make sure the TX Multimeter in the main console is also set to Fwd SWR (your video has that meter preset to Fwd Pwr, not Fwd SWR).
3: Press the Power button on.
4: Engage the TUN button momentarily and then release it.

As soon as you release the TUN button you will see the TX Multimeter in the main console change to Fwd Pwr, which is the not correct behavior (recall that you had initially set it to Fwd SWR so that's what it should still be set to after releasing the TUN button).

Mark
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:33 am

nice one Mark. Issue is if you have a TX meter selected that is the same as the TUNE meter, when it comes out of tune it seems to default to Fwd Pwr. So, you can get the same thing to happen for example when you have the following set :

TX meter = Ref Pwr
and
Tun meter = Ref Pwr

I will track it down.

R.
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:37 am

Thank you sir!

Mark
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:43 am

K1LSB wrote:Thank you sir!

Mark

fixed, I wonder how long that has been there... lol

Richie.
DF2LH

Postby DF2LH » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:04 am

Hi Richie!
First of all, thank you for quickly fixing the CTUNE RX2 with XVTR error.
I still have a little something for you to check :-)
The setting for Setup/Transmit/Speech Processor/CESSB Overshoot control should be saved with the transmit profile (marked yellow in highligting). This does not work for me. After exiting and restarting Thetis, the point is always unmarked. Despite saving it 'on' in my profile.

Thank you for your tireless work

73 Thomas, DF2LH
ANAN100D (grey), P2 FW 12.1.8, Thetis on Windows 11 - only 2m with ME2HT-Pro XVTR
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:54 am

DF2LH wrote:Hi Richie!
First of all, thank you for quickly fixing the CTUNE RX2 with XVTR error.
I still have a little something for you to check :-)
The setting for Setup/Transmit/Speech Processor/CESSB Overshoot control should be saved with the transmit profile (marked yellow in highligting). This does not work for me. After exiting and restarting Thetis, the point is always unmarked. Despite saving it 'on' in my profile.

Thank you for your tireless work

73 Thomas, DF2LH

From what I can tell, it is saved and restored, however, if you are using DIGL or DIGU it will get switched off so it looks like it wasn't stored with the profile. Can you check you are not in DIGU/L. Failing that, please send me DB to my email on qrz.

However after looking at this it has uncovered another bug, where if you are in DIGIx mode, but change TXProfile while in it, all the things like TXeq, cfc etc etc get applied from the profile, and do not get turned off.

Richie - MW0LGE
DF2LH

Postby DF2LH » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:34 pm

ah, I was not aware that a distinction is made between the modes. Your assumption that I was in DIGU is correct.
Thank you for looking at it.

Thomas, DF2LH
ANAN100D (grey), P2 FW 12.1.8, Thetis on Windows 11 - only 2m with ME2HT-Pro XVTR
W9BHI

Postby W9BHI » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:24 pm

Richie,
This may be a redundant post.
When you first open Thetis and set the TX meter to FWD PWR and you press TUNE, it shows FWD PWR.
When you release TUNE it shows FWD PWR.
If you set the TX meter to FWD SWR and press TUNE, you will see FWD PWR and when you release TUNE, it will show FWD SWR.
If you set the TX meter to FWD PWR and press TUNE ,it will show FWD PWR and when you release TUNE, it will go back to showing FWD SWR.
The only wat to get it to show FWD PWR after using TUNE again, is to restart Thetis.
Thanks,
Don W9BHI
va7qi

Postby va7qi » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:01 am

Another small issue noticed: When saving the current profile, the CFC on setting does not seem to be saved. The CFC equalizer settings were saved OK as was the bandwidth setting.

Are you feeling a bit like Medusa Richie?

Seriously, thanks for your work. It is really nice to see the development of Thetis picked up again.

73 de va7qi, ....Erik.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:05 am

va7qi wrote:Another small issue noticed: When saving the current profile, the CFC on setting does not seem to be saved. The CFC equalizer settings were saved OK as was the bandwidth setting.

Are you feeling a bit like Medusa Richie?

Seriously, thanks for your work. It is really nice to see the development of Thetis picked up again.

73 de va7qi, ....Erik.

Hi Erik, it seems to be saved here fine with the profile. However, if you are using DIGU/L it will look like it is switched off as DIGU/L turns off a whole bunch of stuff. Switch into USB or some such and as long as the profile stored the CFC on setting it should now be enabled. Please let me know if this is the case, if not please send me your DB.

If this is the case and it is not a bug, then to be honest we could do with scrapping this tx profile implementation and do something else. It is turning into an area which causes lots of issues/confusion.

Richie.
Mike_N1JEZ

Re: Thetis 2_8_11 changes/ideas/wants/wishes

Postby Mike_N1JEZ » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:50 am

ramdor wrote:
Mike_N1JEZ wrote:Can the Xverter section be looked at? I just tried entering settings for a 2M transverter with a 28 MHz IF, but when I select VHF and 144 MHz, it sets my Hermes board to 0.00MHz.

Mike, N1JEZ

Hi Mike, try the following...

1) setup your vhf ranges in the xvtr setup window
2) select the VHF+ button (yellow) on the right hand side band selector
3) then click on the 2m button (vhf0 or whatever you named it)
4) if it jumps to 0.00 enter 145.0 in the vfoA box and press enter, this should move you to 2m band, and initialise the last visited in the stack

I know about this issue, but have not really spent any time resolving it.

Scot, please move this to issues thread if you have a mo.

Cheers, Richie.

That works Richie, Tnx.
Mike, N1JEZ
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:56 am

ramdor wrote:If this is the case and it is not a bug, then to be honest we could do with scrapping this tx profile implementation and do something else. It is turning into an area which causes lots of issues/confusion.

I can not imagine not having transmit profiles. Moving from AM to SSB to FT8 to JS8Call to Winlink to...well you get the idea. The settings are very different for each different type of operation.

The only other solution that suggests itself is having completely separate, entire databases for each radio configuration one uses. This would also need to hold true for band stack functionality. I suppose storage and CPU are cheap, maybe that's the best way to go.

Regardless, the feature that automatically disables all RX and TX audio processing in DIGL and DIGU has probably saved a LOT of confusion over the years. Because these things are not indicated for digi mode operations. It should be turning everything off on the TX side: rotator, leveler, both EQs, CFC, COMP, and CESSB, and RX EQ as well. That feature should be maintained.

For those who wish to force the issue somehow, they can still use regular USB and LSB modes.

Scott
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:30 pm

Yeah I am not advocating we scrap the idea of a tx profile system, just perhaps the way it is implemented. We somehow need to stop all this confusion of what is happening. It got to the stage where I added that highlight thing because no one had a clue what was being saved or recalled, and with the added digi mode stuff that turns things off, and the bugs uncovered just yesterday related to changing a profile when in digi modes.

Something to note, is that although digU/L switch off a whole bunch of stuff, and return it to the state when leaving it, you can actually turn the stuff back on manually when digi. It is not like it disables anything.

R.
va7qi

Postby va7qi » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:14 am

The enabling of CFC seems to disappear when I switch from digital profile to the canned CFC-28, which I modified a little. Other modifications seem to remain in the saved profile. I have to go in and enable it every time I switch from digital mode.

I agree with Scott that the TX profiles are very useful, but there is a little confusion in the way it is implemented. At first I tried saving the profile under "Export Current Profile", but quickly found out that was not actually saving the profile for use by the main screen. However, I can see that exporting a profile for use by someone else could be very useful.

73 de va7qi, ....Erik.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:56 am

UPDATE 21j - 24/09/21

Post #1 updated with 21j, ready for the weekend. Please note, there have been changes to the OC pin outs. Also, step size is only stored against RX1 modes. There is some slight 'bodge' code around this area until RX2 gets its own step.

I have also added my extra IK3VIGspecial buttons as a direct download in post#1.

21j Update video : https://youtu.be/npsctPDI2U4

Additional warning for this update.

Please make sure you fully test and get the OC outputs you expect before hooking something up to it that might release the magic smoke.

Cheers, Richie.

21j
fix: vac advanced slew setting now updated when the setting is changed in setupform
fix: penny now told when TX VFOb, so will now pick correct VFOb band for OC pin assignments
fix: labels on VFOB box show correct mode and filter when RX1 is the only rx in use
fix: when leaving TUN the TX meter will now show the correct meter. Caused when TX meter and TUN meter were the same
fix: if in DIGU/L and a TX profile is loaded we now turn off TXeq/dexp/leveler/comp/rxeq/anf/nr/cessb/cfc/phaserot
fix: when selecting a transverter from VHF+ button, if there are no stack entries you will be taken to middle of the transverter range. Previously it would take you to 0MHz
add: additional advanced audio settings exposed
add: OC tx pinout action. Can specify when a pin will enable, based on mox, tune or 2tone state
add: hardware pin state shown on OC setup tabs. green 'leds' for rx state, red for tx state
add: xPA button appears on main console if you have any OC TX pin set as an externalPA control in OC control. This button acts as a master control for any pin assigned as an externalPA pin. When the button is off the pin will always be 0.
add: RX1 + RX2 mute button now mutes audio over VAC
add: diversity form, always on top option
add: tune step is stored against mode, and recovered when mode is changed. Also new option to enable this in Options, default off. Note, only works with RX1 at this time.
add: external PA cat command ZZUP, and midi button to enable/disable xPA button
Last edited by ramdor on Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nubbyless

Postby nubbyless » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:51 am

Do the changes effect the Open-drain PTT output for the amplifier or just the standard user controlled pins 0 thru 6

Thanks
Fred
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:00 am

nubbyless wrote:Do the changes effect the Open-drain PTT output for the amplifier or just the standard user controlled pins 0 thru 6

Thanks
Fred

just the UC oc pins 0/6. Scott did look into the possibility of control the ptt key out, but hardware/firmware issues prevent it currently.

R.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:49 am

Hey all,

Quick video on the 21j update, covers most things in it : https://youtu.be/npsctPDI2U4

Cheers, Richie.
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:41 pm

Hey,

just tested the 1db waterfall step... does not work here. See vid

https://www.oe3ide.com/wordp/wp-content/uploads/1db-waterfall-midi.mp4

73 Ernst
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:12 pm

oe3ide wrote:Hey,

73 Ernst

I didnt test it myself tbh Ernst. I will check it out over the weekend. My midi device was playing up and wasn't in the mood for sorting it out.

I will get you an update when resolved.

R.
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:25 pm

ramdor wrote:
oe3ide wrote:Hey,

73 Ernst

I didnt test it myself tbh Ernst. I will check it out over the weekend. My midi device was playing up and wasn't in the mood for sorting it out.

I will get you an update when resolved.

R.

No hurry ;-) Still testing the other fixes/changes... but atm it runs rock solid!

73s Ernst
DF2LH

Postby DF2LH » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:26 pm

Hi Richie
Great progress for Thetis!
Unfortunately I don't agree with the change 'add: RX1 + RX2 mute button now mutes audio over VAC'.
Using the MUT button to turn off the FT8 noise in the Powerspeakers while WSJT continued to run was a big advantage.
Maybe it's just me, but for me it's a step backwards to have to push the master volume slider to get rid of the annoying sounds because I don't have another volume control within reach :-) Is it possible to change this behaviour via a switch in the setup?

Have a nice weekend!
Thomas

ps: I just noticed that when I set master AF to 0, I can't hear logically anything on RX2 either. RX2 often runs on the ssb call qrg while I have FT8 running on RX1/TX.
Last edited by DF2LH on Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Postby Mike » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:36 pm

Hi Rich

"Unfortunately I don't agree with the change 'add: RX1 + RX2 mute button now mutes audio over VAC'.
Using the MUT button to turn off the FT8 noise in the Powerspeakers while WSJT continued to run was a big advantage.
Maybe it's just me, but for me it's a step backwards to have to push the master volume slider to get rid of the annoying sounds because I don't have another volume control within reach :-) Is it possible to change this behaviour via a switch in the setup?"

I agree with Thomas

Mike G8ALS

Return to “Thetis”