Thetis v2.8.11 - UPDATES and current issues

ramdor

Re: Thetis v2.8.11 - current issues

Postby ramdor » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:41 pm

W9BHI wrote:Richie,
Did you ever find a fix for the disappearing Thetis icon when minimizing?
Don W9BHI

Yeah, but i don't really understand why, although it is 'patched' in 21d.

Also, likewise I don't understand why a maximised window on my 16:10 monitor gives a top left of -8,-8 and a bottom right of 2568, 1608. The window is actually larger than the size of the screen as microsoft seem to insist that a window size now include drop shadow, which is off the screen when maximised by 8 (which is determined upon windows theme). So we save the top left as -8,-8 etc, and the size which has increased by 16, and it all goes to hell in a handbasket when we restart.

R.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:43 pm

also, if you cant see the icon on the taskbar, just alt-tab through the windows, it should be there.

R.
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:47 pm

ramdor wrote:
rbduck wrote:While we are on the subject of Waterfall. How difficult would it be to add somthing on the console where one could adjust the waterfall intensity?
I have been adjusting it on the Setup>Display>RX1 tab. The default High level is -80. During the morning it is necessary to change this to -60 or even -50 to prevent what I see in the screen capture. I realize it is not practical to add everything to the Console screen, but this is something I have to modify a good bit. Also, if this is not a problem for anyone else it is a moot point. This is a pretty strong signal.

are you running waterfall agc or spec sync min/max? If using the sync option I could add an offset I guess, but normally I just drag the spectrum down until the waterfall stops washing out. The trouble is, if we have an offset, then we have an offset per band......

R.

I normally use the waterfall agc because the spec min max gives a different visual result for me. When i use spec min max I have either a completely black screen or when I adjust to where the signals look normal the background is washed out. When i use waterfall agc I can adjust for a normal signal look without the background being washed out. Like anything else, my tastes may be different then someone elses. It was just a passing thought.

Yes, that Simon Brown thing is as close to perfect as I have seen. I adjusts level intensity of the signal in the waterfall and gradient colors with the same sliding controls. I am sure that took quite a bit of time. It does require setting of base colors in setup.
Ruben
NB4R
Apache-Labs Anan 7000DLE MKII Black -- Thetis 2.10.3.6 dev_2 -- Windows 11
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:50 pm

ramdor wrote:Let us focus on bugs and stuff... the thread has deviated into changes and all sorts ;) Perhaps create a new thread 'Thetis, if only it did...' ?

To be honest, it is my fault entirely really due to me adding stuff instead of sticking to the reason of this thread. However, I do dislike the resize method of the scale on the left, so all noted for the future. Also, where is the time scale for the waterfall? ah... 'so many activities' ;)

I am still trying to unwire/rewire the attenuation problem. Oh for fix/change that doesn't involve hours of tracking what is happening :lol:

R.

My fault. I apologize. I am eternally grateful for the work you do and the results thereof.
Ruben
NB4R
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:19 pm

Richie,

I have to concur with Ruben, I also am frequently having to adjust the intensity of the waterfall, that's why I posted the pic of Simon Brown's slider in SDR Console. By comparison, having to drill down into Setup screens anytime I want to adjust the waterfall is more hassle than it needs to be.

And thank you very much for all you do, sir!

Mark
DO2ZA Erwin

Postby DO2ZA Erwin » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:06 pm

rbduck wrote:While we are on the subject of Waterfall. How difficult would it be to add somthing on the console where one could adjust the waterfall intensity?
I have been adjusting it on the Setup>Display>RX1 tab. The default High level is -80. During the morning it is necessary to change this to -60 or even -50 to prevent what I see in the screen capture. I realize it is not practical to add everything to the Console screen, but this is something I have to modify a good bit. Also, if this is not a problem for anyone else it is a moot point. This is a pretty strong signal.

Hi, did you try to deactivate the NB? With strong Signals the Waterfall/Spectrum looks terrible when The NB are on.

73 Erwin
Anan 7000DLE MK2 black, P.2 v2.1.18, WIN 10, 10.0.18362 (1903), i7-7700 @3.60 Ghz, 2x Monitor 24"@144 Hz and 1x 32" Monitor @120 FPS for Thetis
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:22 pm

DO2ZA Erwin wrote:

Hi, did you try to deactivate the NB? With strong Signals the Waterfall/Spectrum looks terrible when The NB are on.

73 Erwin

Hmm. NB. I will give that a try tomorrow morning. I would not have thought the NB might a bearing on this.
When I get home let me start another topic on this.

Ruben
NB4R
Ruben
NB4R
W9BHI

Postby W9BHI » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:44 am

Richie,
Squelch (SQL) does not work on either RX1or RX2.
The sliders show a change but there is no squelch action on the audio.
Thanks,
Don W9BHI
DL8LAQ

Postby DL8LAQ » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:37 am

Thanks,

No problem here with the squelch in any mode on RX1 and RX2!
73, Norbert - DL8LAQ - ANAN-G2 w/display - Richie's latest Thetis version and pihpsdr by N1GP&DL1YCF
DO2ZA Erwin

Postby DO2ZA Erwin » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:45 am

DL8LAQ wrote:
Thanks,

No problem here with the squelch in any mode on RX1 and RX2!

Hi,

also no Problems with Squelch here. Edit: Running 64 Bit-Version.

73 Erwin
Last edited by DO2ZA Erwin on Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anan 7000DLE MK2 black, P.2 v2.1.18, WIN 10, 10.0.18362 (1903), i7-7700 @3.60 Ghz, 2x Monitor 24"@144 Hz and 1x 32" Monitor @120 FPS for Thetis
Yevgeni

Postby Yevgeni » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:48 am

Hi
I have SQL RX1 RX2 working fine.
Attachments
SQL.jpg
SQL.jpg (379.82 KiB) Viewed 7832 times
W1JA

Postby W1JA » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:49 am

ramdor wrote:Let us focus on bugs and stuff...

Okay, well I posted a couple pages back about what I think is a bug:
W1JA wrote:TUN button won't tx close to the band edge

The tune function errors out ("Transmit Error: Out of Band") when it would generate a signal closer to the band edge than the SSB (or AM, or DIGx) filter width. For example, if my VFO is set to 7.001 MHz and mode is CWL, I have to move to 7.003 to be able to tune, because my SSB filter width is set to 2.9 kHz.

Of course it makes no sense to use an SSB filter width when in CW mode. But it makes even less sense in any mode, because tuning transmits a continuous carrier. A continuous carrier has a bandwidth of zero, so I can legally transmit right on top of the band edges, in my U.S. case on 40m, 7.000 and 7.300 MHz.

Therefore I submit that using filter width when determining Out of Band should not be done for the TUN function. Only national band edges should be considered.

This issue has be present since I started with PowerSDR a few years ago. I find it to be quite an annoyance.
W4GM

Postby W4GM » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:08 am

Ritchie,

Welcome back and thanks for all your hard work. AMEN on fixing the bugs!!

Mike
Apache-Labs Anan 7000DLE MKII Black -- P2.2.22 Thetis 2.10.3.6 dev2 Latest Edition -- Windows 10 Pro
Yevgeni

Postby Yevgeni » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:10 am

I activate the checkbox "Extended" and the "TUN" button works at any frequency. Normal decision.
Attachments
tun_extended.jpg
tun_extended.jpg (416.58 KiB) Viewed 7802 times
G3ZQH

Postby G3ZQH » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:33 am

MNF notch filter does not work on VHF (with 28MHz transverter)

MNF works nicely on HF but on 2m and 4m (with 28MHz transverters) it is not possible to add a filter. Clicking on +MNF does not give a response.

Just another (minor) bug to add to the list.

73 Dave G3ZQH
W1JA

Postby W1JA » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:13 pm

Also, why does Thetis create a Thetis subdirectory in my Music folder? I delete it every time I notice it (it's always empty), and Thetis recreates it when it next starts up.
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:18 pm

W1JA wrote:Also, why does Thetis create a Thetis subdirectory in my Music folder? I delete it every time I notice it (it's always empty), and Thetis recreates it when it next starts up.

Recordings made by Thetis are stored there.
Ruben
NB4R
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:36 pm

W1JA wrote:Also, why does Thetis create a Thetis subdirectory in my Music folder? I delete it every time I notice it (it's always empty), and Thetis recreates it when it next starts up.

yep, it makes that to store recordings in afaik. Coded to do it blindly no doubt, making recordings or not. Still working this ADC problem.... it is something I didn''t really want to spend 2 days on at this stage >.<

Also, when VS2019 takes over 1hr to process some c files, and each debug run is taking 5 mins to start, and endless restarts of Bindows doesn't fix it...... drastic measures...

sigh.png
sigh.png (17.49 KiB) Viewed 7784 times

R.
PD3LK

Postby PD3LK » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:41 pm

Thanks,
Don W9BHI

Don, did you clicked on the SQL button to activate it first? .
73 PD3LK Leon
W9BHI

Postby W9BHI » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:39 pm

Leon,
Duh!
I forgot about that.
It is working properly (if you know what you are doing).
Thanks,
Don W9BHI
PD3LK

Postby PD3LK » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:41 pm

W9BHI wrote:Leon,
Duh!
I forgot about that.
It is working properly (if you know what you are doing).
Thanks,
Don W9BHI

Did happen others too (me...) ;)
73 PD3LK Leon
W1JA

Postby W1JA » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:06 pm

Yevgeni wrote:I activate the checkbox "Extended" and the "TUN" button works at any frequency. Normal decision.

But I would like to retain the protection against accidentally transmitting out of band limits.
W1JA

Postby W1JA » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:22 pm

rbduck wrote:

I have used the REC function from time to time, and Thetis (and I'm pretty sure PowerSDR before Thetis) doesn't put recordings in \Music\Thetis. I just made a test recording to be sure, and Thetis put the SDRQuickAudio.wav file in \Users\John\AppData\Roaming\OpenHPSDR\Thetis-x64. (I named the Thetis folder Thetis-x64 during the install.) I don't understand why my Thetis doesn't use \Music\Thetis as yours does, Ruben.

Anyway, this is a good time to mention how primitive and cumbersome this REC function behavior is, no matter where it saves the file. Ideally when each recording ends, the standard Windows dialog would appear, allowing the user to name the file (so the previous recording is not overwritten) and store it in a location of choice. So, I suppose this is not a bug report, but a feature request.
Yevgeni

Postby Yevgeni » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:34 pm

W1JA wrote:But I would like to retain the protection against accidentally transmitting out of band limits.

Button CWU and everything is fine with TUN.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:54 pm

W1JA wrote:
rbduck wrote:

I have used the REC function from time to time, and Thetis (and I'm pretty sure PowerSDR before Thetis) doesn't put recordings in \Music\Thetis. I just made a test recording to be sure, and Thetis put the SDRQuickAudio.wav file in \Users\John\AppData\Roaming\OpenHPSDR\Thetis-x64. (I named the Thetis folder Thetis-x64 during the install.) I don't understand why my Thetis doesn't use \Music\Thetis as yours does, Ruben.

Anyway, this is a good time to mention how primitive and cumbersome this REC function behavior is, no matter where it saves the file. Ideally when each recording ends, the standard Windows dialog would appear, allowing the user to name the file (so the previous recording is not overwritten) and store it in a location of choice. So, I suppose this is not a bug report, but a feature request.

Inside Memory.cs constructor

if (!Directory.Exists(wave_folder))
{
// create PowerSDR audio folder if it does not exist
Directory.CreateDirectory(wave_folder);
}

Inside Wave.cs constructor

{
}

What is wave_folder we ask ousrselves....

madness.jpg
madness.jpg (54.49 KiB) Viewed 7727 times

and what gets placed in there? This....

rec.jpg
rec.jpg (21.24 KiB) Viewed 7723 times

R.
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:27 pm

ramdor wrote:
W1JA wrote:
rbduck wrote:Recordings made by Thetis are stored there.

Inside Memory.cs constructor

{
}

Inside Wave.cs constructor

{
}

What is wave_folder we ask ousrselves....

madness.jpg

and what gets placed in there? This....

rec.jpg

R.

Now my curiosity is peaked. I did two tests. One recording from the quick recording function and one from the record button under the "wave" tab.

The recording from the record button under the wave tab went to my Music folder.
The recording "quick record" went to the Thetis folder.
Huh?? I'm sure there was a very good reason.
Ruben
NB4R
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:32 pm

rbduck wrote:
Now my curiosity is peaked. I did two tests. One recording from the quick recording function and one from the record button under the "wave" tab.

The recording from the record button under the wave tab went to my Music folder.
The recording "quick record" went to the Thetis folder.
Huh?? I'm sure there was a very good reason.

That random beat of a butterfly wings in some rainforest caused chaos theory to determine that it should be implemented with another folder, instead of just adding _QR (quick record) or some such onto the dated filename.

In other words, your guess is as good as mine :)

R.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:26 pm

G3ZQH wrote:MNF notch filter does not work on VHF (with 28MHz transverter)

MNF works nicely on HF but on 2m and 4m (with 28MHz transverters) it is not possible to add a filter. Clicking on +MNF does not give a response.

Just another (minor) bug to add to the list.

73 Dave G3ZQH

This will take a bit of work Dave.

Currently the notch will not be added. If you are trying to add it at 144.300.000 MHz for instance. It would be beyond the configured max_RXfrequency which is in setup->F/W Set in setup. However, that is not what we want to change anyway, because using an xvtr bypasses that max freq limitation anyway.

You could for now, add a notch at 28.300.000 if your 2m LO offset was 116MHz to notch something out at 144.300.000.

I will add it to the list of things to do. When adding a notch in an xverter band/range then actually place it at -ve the LO offset. I'll then need to change the display to know to use a LO offset when drawing the notch. etc etc.

Richie.
w4cm

Postby w4cm » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:26 am

W4GM wrote:Ritchie,

Welcome back and thanks for all your hard work. AMEN on fixing the bugs!!

Mike

Richie thanks for all the great improvements and clean up.
Hopefully people will let you work on your plan to finish 21d soon.

Cecil
W4CM
kc2rgw

Postby kc2rgw » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:14 pm

delete
Last edited by kc2rgw on Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Thetis”