Thetis v2.8.11 - UPDATES and current issues

ramdor

Re: Thetis v2.8.11 - current issues

Postby ramdor » Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:05 pm

Hey folks,

Holding off on releasing 21d for a few days, so I can at least do some more testing.

However, I have just put up a vid which was meant to be a quick short one, but ended up being 30 mins :shock: . Grab a coffee and have a watch. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRPxGm09Q_c

Richie.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:06 pm

oe3ide wrote:
I have one small point for your list. It concerns the VAC RX level in DIGU mode. The last value used is saved and displayed after restarting thetis, but not applied

AFAIK the values are stored in the TX-profile. Try to save the corresponding TX-Profile.

73 Ernst

yep this is correct Ernst. They are applied per tx profile, and should recover to the last used profile when restarting so unsure why not acting as expected.

Richie.
ea3aqr

Postby ea3aqr » Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:22 pm

DL8LAQ wrote:Hi Richie,

I hate colored lines and filter overlay in the waterfall. Since one of the 21 versions I have to check/uncheck "Waterfall - Show Zero Line" and "Waterfall - Show Filter " after every start of Thetis to get rid of it. I did export database and save transmit profile, but every day I have to check/uncheck...

Thanks for your fantastic work :-)

I have the same problem... filter line in waterfall (disabled in setup), keeps reapearing after each Thetis restart
New call sign EA3CL
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:20 pm

haha, just checked my change log for 21d.. I forgot I did this..

fix:lots of start state problems with display engine for items such as filter, zero lines etc. Should now start up as expected and not show RX filter for example if unchecked in setup. If things are missing you need to find the option to turn it back on.

rofl. had my head in bandstack nightmare for so long :lol:

Richie.
DL8LAQ

Postby DL8LAQ » Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:36 pm

After a database reset filter and zero line stay away from waterfall. Took me some time between the sporadic-E on 2 m to do this.
73, Norbert - DL8LAQ - ANAN-G2 w/display - Richie's latest Thetis version and pihpsdr by N1GP&DL1YCF
DF2LH

Postby DF2LH » Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:50 pm

Hi Ernst

AFAIK the values are stored in the TX-profile. Try to save the corresponding TX-Profile.

That is correct with the TX-Profile and the value is correct restored on the screen, but the level itselve is not set as on screen shown. It seems to be 0 dB instead the shown -16. When you change the slider one step, the value is set correct. Hope you can see it in the short video.

73 Thomas
ANAN100D (grey), P2 FW 12.1.8, Thetis on Windows 11 - only 2m with ME2HT-Pro XVTR
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:48 pm

That is correct with the TX-Profile and the value is correct restored on the screen, but the level itselve is not set as on screen shown. It seems to be 0 dB instead the shown -16. When you change the slider one step, the value is set correct. Hope you can see it in the short video.

Unfortunatly the video is private.

I have tested it here (same method that Richie used in his video)
1) changed to DIGU
2) RX 0 shows ~ -20db in Audacity on the corresponding VAC
3) changed RX to 24 => ~ 0db in Audacity
4) closed Thetis
5) started Thetis, RX correct on 24 and VAC in Audacity correct on 0db

So either a corrupt database or something else is "resetting" your VAC.

73 Ernst
DF2LH

Postby DF2LH » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:19 pm

Hi Ernst

Sorry, my fault. Now video should work and I will do some more testing.
73, Thomas
ANAN100D (grey), P2 FW 12.1.8, Thetis on Windows 11 - only 2m with ME2HT-Pro XVTR
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:11 pm

DF2LH wrote:Hi Ernst

Sorry, my fault. Now video should work and I will do some more testing.
73, Thomas

Can you send me your database.xml file? It is probably something to do with the rather annoying method of state recovery. It goes something like....

1) initialise some stuff
2) get values from DB for all settings in main console and assign to specific variables
3) start up setup form, which basically loads settings for all control in a similar way to the explanation for 4)
4) for every control on the front end, go through each one, Use the state recovered in 2) to .... click it if it is a button/checkbox, if it is a text box assign text to it, if it is a up down box, assign number to it, track bars (which VAC slide is one of) assign a number to it..... etc. This will cause all sorts of events and things to happen in the code as stuff changes/gets assigned, and the only thing that controls the order in which this happens is .Sort on a big list of all the control names :x Some events happen, some do not (aborted by an IsInitalising flag). Not very scientific approach to keeping things under control. There are always chicken and the egg issues with this approach of state recovery.
6) then apply a tx profile
7) then apply some delayed stuff from setup form as things were not ready to be done

I dislike it very much, but there is so much code there it would take months to unravel and streamline into a settings system. Filters being set, frequencies being altered, all over the place in there. It is a pita ;)

Anyway, send me over the db, and I can check if it is some sort of 'out of order' problem, or something else.

Cheers, Richie.
W9BHI

Postby W9BHI » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:12 am

Richie,
I found the install files and pasted the new 21C zip files.
I am using the 64 bit version (just like the old one)
I held the cntrl button down and it said it would copy the database files.
I did the restart and the new version loads but when I press start nothing happens.
I am obviously doing something wrong here.
Help needed.
Thanks,
Don W9BHI
PD3LK

Postby PD3LK » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:55 am

Did you restart your PC?
In my case the Thetis process was still running after the database import. Had to kill the process by hand.
73, PD3LK
73 PD3LK Leon
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:19 am

W9BHI wrote:Richie,
I found the install files and pasted the new 21C zip files.
I am using the 64 bit version (just like the old one)
I held the cntrl button down and it said it would copy the database files.
I did the restart and the new version loads but when I press start nothing happens.
I am obviously doing something wrong here.
Help needed.
Thanks,
Don W9BHI

yeah it is perhaps the reason that PD3LK mentioned. A bug was introduced in 21c that prevented the display thread from closing in all cases which could result in thetis still running in the task list. Has been resolved for 21d.

Richie.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:30 pm

If anyone has 20 mins spare, can you check the following. I have gone through all EU countries, and set possible char1 and char2 of the prefix. Any errors in it or missing country/prefix ? The entries at the bottom with the x are not used.

To be used in RegEx for filter only EU.

Richie.

1st = [235789ACDEFGHIJLMOPSTXY]
2nd = [23456789ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ]
optional 2nd = [EWMJGDI] for regions in the UK, ie when 1st is either G M or 2 (E is not right for G M but shouldnt matter)

OE Austria
ON–OT Belgium
LZ Bulgaria
9A Croatia
C4 Cyprus
H2 Cyprus
P3 Cyprus
5B Cyprus
OK–OL Czechia
5P–5Q Denmark
OU–OZ Denmark
XP Denmark
ES Estonia
OF–OJ Finland
F France (and its Overseas departments/territories)
TK France (and its Overseas departments/territories) (Corsica)
DA–DR Germany
Y2–Y9 Germany
J4 Greece
SV–SZ Greece
HA Hungary
HG Hungary
EI–EJ Ireland
I Italy
YL Latvia
LY Lithuania
LX Luxembourg
9H Malta
PA–PI Netherlands
PJ Netherlands – Former Netherlands Antilles
HF Poland
SN–SR Poland
3Z Poland
CQ–CU Portugal
YO–YR Romania
OM Slovakia
S5 Slovenia
AM–AO Spain
EA–EH Spain
SA–SM Sweden
7S Sweden
8S Sweden
G United Kingdom (and its overseas territories/Crown dependencies)
M United Kingdom (and its overseas territories/Crown dependencies)
2 United Kingdom (and its overseas territories/Crown dependencies)

x VP–VQ United Kingdom (and its overseas territories/Crown dependencies)
x VS United Kingdom
x ZB–ZJ United Kingdom (and its overseas territories/Crown dependencies)
x ZN–ZO United Kingdom (and its overseas territories/Crown dependencies)
x ZQ United Kingdom (and its overseas territories/Crown dependencies)
x TM France (and its Overseas departments/territories)
x TO–TQ France (and its Overseas departments/territories)
x TV–TX France (and its Overseas departments/territories)
x HW–HY France (and its Overseas departments/territories)
x TH France (and its Overseas departments/territories)
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:49 pm

A quick check:

1A0 Sovereign Military Order of Malta
4O Montenegro
4U1ITU 4UnITU United Nations Geneva
4U1SCO UNESCO, Paris F
4U1VIC United Nations Vienna OE

I guess the best way would be to use the cty.dat file.
http://www.country-files.com/bigcty/

73 Ernst
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:12 pm

oe3ide wrote:A quick check:

1A0 Sovereign Military Order of Malta
4O Montenegro
4U1ITU 4UnITU United Nations Geneva
4U1SCO UNESCO, Paris F
4U1VIC United Nations Vienna OE

I guess the best way would be to use the cty.dat file.
http://www.country-files.com/bigcty/

73 Ernst

Someone needs to write a parser for that cty.dat, to build suitable regex string :lol: That is not happening today. :shock:

Richie.
liam

Postby liam » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:28 pm

NC3Z

Postby NC3Z » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:51 pm

Ritchie, back a few versions you added a method to infinitely adjust the split between the Pan section and the Waterfall section of Panafall for RX1. Can that feature be extended to when RX2 is enabled? Besides it not working on the second Panafall, when RX2 is enabled it reverts the RX1 Panafall back to 50/50.

I use RX2 a lot and I find a smaller waterfall (about 25%) preferred.
Gary NC3Z
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:02 pm

NC3Z wrote:Ritchie, back a few versions you added a method to infinitely adjust the split between the Pan section and the Waterfall section of Panafall for RX1. Can that feature be extended to when RX2 is enabled? Besides it not working on the second Panafall, when RX2 is enabled it reverts the RX1 Panafall back to 50/50.

I use RX2 a lot and I find a smaller waterfall (about 25%) preferred.

I decided at the time not to implement it Gary due to the work involved. It will all change over time going forward anyway when the RX's are split into their own displays so it wont be an issue. Also, one could ask why do we have panafall / panadapter and waterfall modes? If the splitter is moved right to the top, it is waterfall, if it is moved right to the bottom it becomes panadapter, somewhere in between it is panafall.

Whole thing needs a big rethink ;)

Will hold off on doing anything related to this Gary, sorry.

Richie.
NC3Z

Postby NC3Z » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:05 pm

ramdor wrote: Also, one could ask why do we have panafall / panadapter and waterfall modes? If the splitter is moved right to the top, it is waterfall, if it is moved right to the bottom it becomes panadapter, somewhere in between it is panafall.

That would be the ultimate in versatility, and be more streamlined. Will wait for that day. Thanks.
Gary NC3Z
DO2ZA Erwin

Postby DO2ZA Erwin » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:12 pm

Hallo Ritchie and All,

I am not shure if this is a bug, or my Mistake: If I start RX 2 and than give with the RX1 S-ATT say 9 db Att, the Gain-line from RX 1 goes up, but on RX 2 the Gain-Line stays but the Noise/Stations in Panadapter goes down?? Also the S-Meter RX 2 goes down.
If I use the RX 2 S-ATT, the Gain-Line, the Spectrumlevel and the S-Meter goes up.

I noticed this today with RX 1 S-ATT on 12 db, then start RX 2 and nothing to hear.

With the other ATT is it the same.

73 Erwin
Anan 7000DLE MK2 black, P.2 v2.1.18, WIN 10, 10.0.18362 (1903), i7-7700 @3.60 Ghz, 2x Monitor 24"@144 Hz and 1x 32" Monitor @120 FPS for Thetis
W9BHI

Postby W9BHI » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:20 pm

Richie,
I started with the 21a download and got that working.
Now up to 21c and it is working.
I made a shortcut to the home screen but it doesn't work.
I have run the executable from the data file.
Ideas?
Thanks,
Don W9BHI
DL8LAQ

Postby DL8LAQ » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:52 pm

DO2ZA Erwin wrote:Hallo Ritchie and All,

I am not shure if this is a bug, or my Mistake: If I start RX 2 and than give with the RX1 S-ATT say 9 db Att, the Gain-line from RX 1 goes up, but on RX 2 the Gain-Line stays but the Noise/Stations in Panadapter goes down?? Also the S-Meter RX 2 goes down.
If I use the RX 2 S-ATT, the Gain-Line, the Spectrumlevel and the S-Meter goes up.

I noticed this today with RX 1 S-ATT on 12 db, then start RX 2 and nothing to hear.

73 Erwin

I think you have assigned DDC3 (RX2) to ADC0. If you change ATT on RX1, then the ADC0 attenuator is active and DDC2 (RX1) is correcting the gain reading, but not DDC3 (RX2). RX2 does not know that the rx path is attenuated now.

That is not neccessarily a bug, but should be on Richie's list for the new Thetis design.
73, Norbert - DL8LAQ - ANAN-G2 w/display - Richie's latest Thetis version and pihpsdr by N1GP&DL1YCF
DO2ZA Erwin

Postby DO2ZA Erwin » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:59 pm

Hi Norbert,

you are right with my Setup. Okay that makes sense, but Rx 2 should be identical with RX1 for this Setup.

Erwin
Anan 7000DLE MK2 black, P.2 v2.1.18, WIN 10, 10.0.18362 (1903), i7-7700 @3.60 Ghz, 2x Monitor 24"@144 Hz and 1x 32" Monitor @120 FPS for Thetis
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:16 pm

W9BHI wrote:Richie,
I started with the 21a download and got that working.
Now up to 21c and it is working.
I made a shortcut to the home screen but it doesn't work.
I have run the executable from the data file.
Ideas?
Thanks,
Don W9BHI

1) Get the old TAPR version running again and setup. All running connecting to the radio etc. Close it down. Short cut on desktop etc.
2) Extract contents of 21c zip file into a folder. Take whole contents of that expanded zip file and put over top of the files that were installed in 1)
3) Hold CTRL as you launch Thetis. It will update the DB and shut down. Check task manager that thetis has not got stuck in there (there have been some reports)
4) Restart and should tell you the DB was imported ok.

Richie.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:48 pm

DL8LAQ wrote:
DO2ZA Erwin wrote:Hallo Ritchie and All,

73 Erwin

I think you have assigned DDC3 (RX2) to ADC0. If you change ATT on RX1, then the ADC0 attenuator is active and DDC2 (RX1) is correcting the gain reading, but not DDC3 (RX2). RX2 does not know that the rx path is attenuated now.

That is not neccessarily a bug, but should be on Richie's list for the new Thetis design.

I have confirmed this and it is definitely a bug. The proper behavior would be for RX1 and RX2 to check and see if they are both on ADC0 or ADC1. If they are, then the ATT or S-ATT setting for both RX's should be tied at the hip, because they are both using the same hardware at that point.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:50 pm

Another small bug: when changing the Var 1 or Var 2 filter settings the passband overlay on the spectral display is not updated in a live fashion. You have to click onto another filter preset and then back to see the overlay width update.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:07 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:Another small bug: when changing the Var 1 or Var 2 filter settings the passband overlay on the spectral display is not updated in a live fashion. You have to click onto another filter preset and then back to see the overlay width update.

I cant replicate this. Changing a high/low/width on filter setup form, for any selected (yellow button) filter updates them. If for example the one in use on the spectral display is Var1 and Var1 is yellow in the filter setup form, any change is instantly reflected visually, at least on mine.

What doesn't update instantly on mine is the filter name.

I am looking into the ATT issue for coupled ADCs. I know about ddc2 and 3, is this the same for all radios or do I have to make some decisions on ratio models as well?

Richie.
DL8LAQ

Postby DL8LAQ » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:22 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:Another small bug: when changing the Var 1 or Var 2 filter settings the passband overlay on the spectral display is not updated in a live fashion. You have to click onto another filter preset and then back to see the overlay width update.

If I hover with the mouse over the numbers and turn the mouse wheel the numbers do change but the passband overlay does not. I must first click on the number to move the the passband overlay.
Last edited by DL8LAQ on Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:27 pm

DL8LAQ wrote:

If I hover with the mouse over the numbers and turn the mouse wheel the numbers do change but the passband overlay does not. I must click on the number to move the the passband overlay.

your mouse wheel changes are so small. Zoom the filter to max and you will see that it updates.

EDIT: OH? on the text boxes on the main UI? I have been talking about the ones in the Filter Setup window :lol:

Richie.
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:33 pm

I tried it with the num up/down field.
If you click into "udFilterLow" and turn your mousewheel, it works.
But if the field udFilterLow does not have the focus, it does not update the waterfall overlay, but the values are still changing with the mouse-wheel.
Once you have clicked in one of the fields (udFilterLow or udFilterHigh) it works as expected.

73 Ernst

Return to “Thetis”