RX2

W8JJ

RX2

Postby W8JJ » Fri May 21, 2021 9:56 pm

I'm attempting to configure RX2 for the first time on my black 7000 DLE MK II. Seems easy enough. But, I'm getting no signal on RX2. I have a multi band antenna and I'm trying to place RX1 on 20 meters and RX2 on 40 meters. However, there is clearly no signal being received as the waterfall is dead on RX2. I've been surfing around the manual and this site doing keyword searches hoping to bump into the solution. Can RX1 and RX2 share a single antenna simultaneously? Or, must there be a second antenna connected to the ANAN ? I have a total of three antennas and they are connected to Ports 1, 2, 3 of an Elecraft KAT500. Thus, I have one cable from the ANAN to the tuner. I use the KAT500 app for antenna switching currently. Perhaps there is a better way - not sure. I hope that I'm a mouse click or two away from a solution.

73 Tim W8JJ
Attachments
RX2.PNG
RX2.PNG (1.25 MiB) Viewed 2836 times
NC3Z

Re: RX2

Postby NC3Z » Fri May 21, 2021 11:54 pm

What do you have connected to the RX2 input on the rear of your 7000?
Gary NC3Z
W8JJ

Postby W8JJ » Sat May 22, 2021 2:22 am

Honestly, I had no idea there was an RX2 port on the back of the radio until now so that's news! What I'm attempting to figure out is can both receivers share the same antenna? Before the ANAN, I used a K3 with two receivers and they shared the same antenna which was convenient. For example, I would like to listen to an SSB frequency on 20m and a CW frequency on 40m at the same time using a EFHW multi band antenna.

I am trying to sort out the best way to utilize the ports and both receivers for my antenna situation. I have three antennas: A 43' vertical, 10-80m EFHW, and a 20m vertical loop. Currently, all of the antennas are connected to my automatic antenna tuner that serves as my switching system. Also, all of the antennas require some tuning. In my case, all three antennas need to see the amplifier as I use them all for both TX and RX. Therefore, using the RX2 port does not seem practical unless I was using a receive only antenna, correct?
sv1jso

Postby sv1jso » Sat May 22, 2021 7:44 am

You can go to settings, general, ADC and assign everything to ADC0 in order to use the second receiver from the main antenna.

Mike
NC3Z

Postby NC3Z » Sat May 22, 2021 10:56 am

W8JJ wrote:Therefore, using the RX2 port does not seem practical unless I was using a receive only antenna, correct?

That is the much preferred method if you want to take advantage of the 7000 and Thetis. But as Mike noted you can move it al over to 1 ADC, but you'd throw away 1/2 the radio and have limitations.
Gary NC3Z
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat May 22, 2021 11:28 am

With all due respect, I think your statement is a little strong, Gary. Many of us have but a single antenna and thereby no good way to use the dedicated RX2 input (labeled ADC2 or ADC1 on some hardware).

Where the dedicated RX2 input really shines is when you have a dedicated receiving antenna, like a beverage array, or some other sort of antenna that you have set up for beamforming (aka diversity). But not very many people have this.

My own radio is set up to service all receivers off off ADC0. To do this go to Setup > General > ADC.

Don't forget that you also need to be mindful of the preselector settings. If you want to receive multiple bands at the same time you need to turn that off. Go to Setup > General > Ant/Filters > BPF1/LPF and check the Bypass/55 MHz BPF and BPS ByPass on TX boxes.

Also, be aware that your antenna may not provide the best response on an alternate band if you are using an antenna tuner and have, for example, tuned up on 20M for transmit but are monitoring 40M on RX2.
NC3Z

Postby NC3Z » Sat May 22, 2021 11:39 am

Guess it all depends on your perspective, I prefer to keep the BPF's on and have a fully independent second receiver for diversity, some really cool and nice features that lead me to the 7000.
Gary NC3Z

Return to “Thetis”