Anan 100D, Thetis Protocol 1, connection to Steppir and SPE Amp.

M0mws

Anan 100D, Thetis Protocol 1, connection to Steppir and SPE Amp.

Postby M0mws » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:19 pm

Hi Folks,
I run an 8000dle and after assistance fron the forum, has been running on Protocol 1 and Thetis perfectly... no glitches on either CW or SSB with Behringer UMC202HD.
I then recommended Apache products to a friend who currently runs an IC-7851.
He then bought a pre owned 100D. Runs Thetis on Protocol 1, W10
He needs to use HRD and control his steppir controller SDA100 and also his SPE 2k amp.
We have setup VSPE but have had problems for some reason after initially connecting ok..
However, my guess is we will find the solution for that.
He has two actual comports available one of which i have connected to the Steppir controller with links paralleled to the SPE.
Can anyone tell me how to connect all this kit together please..
I notice that Thetis has three com ports under Cat+
Can I point one of those to the port that the controller/ amp sits on?
I have searched forum but cant find anything to help on these three ports, any help appreciated.
FM5GB

Re: Anan 100D, Thetis Protocol 1, connection to Steppir and SPE Amp.

Postby FM5GB » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:15 am

Hi OM,
I utilize a 200D, an SPE 1KFA power amp, and HRD. OS is W10 pro 64, vspMgr for virtual COM ports.
I don't know the 2K-FA amp but basically it shoud work as the 1K-FA

The first thing should be to check the available COM ports in W10 device manager. There should be AT LEAST one legacy COMport (with serial cable -DB9- output on your computer; if necessary install a serial port card on your computer) which is needed to communicate with the SPE amp. A custom made cable as described in the SPE manual is mandatory to control the power amp thru Thetis. Choose one of the CAT or CAT+ controls and assign the correct (legacy) COMport#. On your SPE you must choose FLEX radio as CAT control with correct speed. When plugged in this cable will switch bands and subbands and permits the SPE to control the drive from your ANAN so you don't need an ALC feedback which could degrade your signal.
The PTT cable from your 100D is necessary to key the amplifier !
A second COMport (this may probably be a virtual one thru an USB cable ) is needed to remote control the SPE from your computer (see the SPEmanual for installation on the amp USB terminal) and install the SPE remote console.
For your SteppIR you shouid read your manuals but the 2K-FA provides in/outputs for such antenna controllers.
HRD works perfectly with Thetis with a virtual COMport.
Remember : when using virtual COMports you must always assign a PAIR of ports (one at each end) of your connection (eg one in HRD the other in Thetis)

I hope this helps

73s Phil FM5GB
M0mws

Postby M0mws » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:57 am

Thanks Phil,
Will sketch out a diagram of what I need.
That's very helpful.
Much appreciated.
73 and keep safe.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:06 pm

M0mws wrote:He needs to use HRD and control his steppir controller SDA100 and also his SPE 2k amp.

Why does he need to use HRD? Logging? Digi modes?

He has two actual comports available one of which i have connected to the Steppir controller with links paralleled to the SPE.

What does "links paralleled to the SPE" mean? SPE wiring is funny. See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2575

Can anyone tell me how to connect all this kit together please..

Yes, it's quite simple. You have 4 CAT ports available in Thetis, the main one and the three under the CAT+ tab. They are all the same, none has priority over the other or any other special properties. Simply assign one to the physical COM port used with the SDA100, another to the physical COM port used with the SPE (but mind the wiring as noted above), and, if you must have HRD, you'll need a VSPE virtual port pair defined and one end of that pair assigned to a third CAT port in Thetis and the other assigned in HRD.

Return to “Thetis”