Typical network bandwidth

iw7dmh

Typical network bandwidth

Postby iw7dmh » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:41 pm

Hello,

I would like to know the typical network bandwidth usage of a 7000DLE and which are the Thetis parameters to be set for increasing or decreasing it.
One should be the samplerate but maybe there are some others. I am thinking about something like the panadapter width and/or the waterfall speed.

Thank you and 73'
Enzo, iw7dmh
NC3Z

Re: Typical network bandwidth

Postby NC3Z » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:55 pm

Do you have a 7000DEL now? It's easy to play with this using Task Manager and looking at Ethernet Performance.

Sample rate by far is the biggest item that changes it, this is what I see:

1 RX 192KHz 10.6Mbps
2 RX 192KHz 20.4Mbps

1 RX 1536KHz 77.1Mbps
1 RX 1536KHz 155Mbps
Gary NC3Z
iw7dmh

Postby iw7dmh » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:13 pm

Hi Gary, still don't but I will.
I am collecting infos from some time now because, unfortunately in my region nobody own an Anan rig.
Anyway 10.6 Mbps for 1 RX is too much for my remote shack (through private VPN). Maybe I can set the samplerate at 39-KHz - I have to read in depth in the Thetis manual.

Thank you very much for your help
73' Enzo, iw7dmh
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:37 pm

Thetis (and PowerSDR before it), along with the firmware used to run the ANAN hardware, comprises a so-called "thick client" architecture. In this architecture radio functionality is split between the hardware unit and the supporting computer, with bulk of the data processing performed by the client software on the computer, in this case Thetis. The advantage of this approach is simplicity for the software developers. The downside is a requirement for a large amount of network bandwidth so the data can be moved and the necessity for a relatively powerful client computer.

The opposite of this is a "thin client" architecture, such as that used by Flex Radio. In this architecture the bulk of the data processing is performed by a computer running radio server software inside the radio hardware unit. Then only the necessary audio, video and command data is sent over the network to a simplified client software application. The advantages of this approach are low network bandwidth requirements and small processing power requirements. The disadvantage is a much higher level of complexity for the software developers.

It is generally not possible to run Thetis over a WAN connection, not even at very low IF data rates like 48KHz. Even if you have the bandwidth, the variability in network latency causes severe problems.

The solution to this is to set up your own client/server configuration, where a PC is in the remote operating location running Thetis, and you connect to it using one of the common remote operating protocols like RDP, VNC or the like. Unfortunately setting something like that up by yourself is not simple, but it can be done.

There are some discussions here about how to do this: viewforum.php?f=24
iw7dmh

Postby iw7dmh » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:17 pm

Hello Scott,

thank you for the clarification. I had just seen the minimum samplerate I can set up in Thetis (48KHz).
I am sorry for having asked the question in the wrong section of the Community.
Maybe you can move the whole discussion in the right place.

Best 73'
Enzo, iw7dmh

Return to “Thetis”