Difference between PowerSDR mRX and Thetis?

WU6R

Difference between PowerSDR mRX and Thetis?

Postby WU6R » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:42 pm

What is the difference between PowerSDR mRX and Thetis? They look identical on my ANAN-10E.

Also, what is the difference between Protocol 1 and Protocol 2? It can't be just the gigabit Internet and compatibility with SDRConsole v3 in P2.

Is it worthwhile to update from P1 to P2 on the ANAN-10E or would I be pushing my luck due to the age and technical limitations of the ANAN-10E hardware?

Thank you.

Vr, Mark WU6R
Mark WU6R
w-u-2-o

Re: Difference between PowerSDR mRX and Thetis?

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:31 pm

Thetis has some major functional differences:

- First and foremost, it supports Protocol 2 firmware. Protocol 2 firmware supports 768KHz and 1.536MHz IF sample rates, and the use of those sample rates is unrestricted i.e. PureSignal can be used with them and Diversity as well.

- However, Thetis also supports Protocol 1 firmware, so all other features are available with either P1 or P2 firmware.

- Most notably, it can use DirectX to draw the spectral display. This lowers CPU requirements and makes refresh (frame) rates independent of window size, and overall much smoother.

- Features that allow you to find the fastest spectral display refresh rate your PC is capable of without getting audio glitches.

- Wideband display that can show 0-60MHz.

- Spotting in the spectral display.

- Substantially improved downward expander and VOX functionality.

- For those with 200D and newer hardware, full QSK is possible.

- User interface improvements are too numerous to list, but some of the highlights include: CTUN behavior improvements and options, right click on controls to reach relevant settings pages, new displays and controls on the lower status bar including antenna selection and ID timer, Andromeda display support, improvements to band stacking registers, and at least two dozen things I'm forgetting about.

The only reason you might NOT want to use Thetis and stay with PowerSDR mRX is if you want to run Protocol 1 and want IF bandwidths in excess of 192KHz. Thetis does not support 384KHz or stitched receivers with Protocol 1 firmware.
WU6R

Postby WU6R » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:31 pm

Thank you.
Mark WU6R
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:42 pm

One other issue: further development on PowerSDR mRX may have come to an end with the advent of Protocol 1 support in Thetis.

Return to “Thetis”