Changing code for features you want

N4XD

Changing code for features you want

Postby N4XD » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:29 am

Wondering how many, if any, of you have made changes to Thetis to implement changes you want and kept the code local (i.e. not published it to github)?

I ask because I am trying to make a change to Thetis to slow down the rate of change to rit. Not finished with it (I am starting from ground zero as I know nothing of Visual Studios but am getting help from one of the main developers which has been great) and have no plans to push it to github as I am not sure how to do that and present a finished product anyone could easily install.

Will be interesting to see how many others might be doing what I am: making small personal changes to Thetis.

Thanks
Ron
N4XD
w-u-2-o

Re: Changing code for features you want

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:08 pm

Ron,

No need to publish to Git if you don't want to. As you might remember from the 2.7.0 thread, and the 2.6.9 thread before it, Richie simply posted the updated .exe and .dll files to a DropBox link. It was up to those who wanted to use the code to do the necessary manual cutting and pasting in the right folders. I'd encourage you to publish that way so that others might benefit as well.

You can also submit the source code changes to Doug, W5WC, so that they might be incorporated in the next formal release.

73!

Scott
Joe

Postby Joe » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:06 pm

I have a couple of items that I’ve added to the code but wanted to be sure they would have any value to others. I have in the past sent them to Doug as he can check out any additions and correct any problems if needed. I mainly use the collapsed window and have added the values of the sliders in the pop up texts, like for the power value to be seen in the text pop up so I know exactly what power I am driving the amp with instead of just seeing a slider position, I have this added to other sliders as well. I also added a sampling reset function that allows me to use vac rate at 192,000 and buffer at 128, not sure if this only works in my setup with a motu m4 sound interface or would help others, all I know is that without this I can not run with these settings. I hope to send code to Doug if it would be helpful to others. I am mainly learning c# as my background in code is with other languages.

73’s
Joe
WD5Y
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:04 pm

Again, why not post these changes publicly, as updated exe and dll files, and let people try them out? No need for installers, or git ditro's, or anything else fancy.
N4XD

Postby N4XD » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:34 pm

Joe and Scott excellent. So far I've been unsuccessful in getting a build to complete. Always fails. Pretty sure I am missing a module in Visual Studio. The error is VCTools. I thought this was for C++ but I have that module installed.

Anyway, been an interesting learning process. I have no experience in VS so everything is new. But fun....or will be once I figure this issue out.

Ron
N4XD
W4WMT

Postby W4WMT » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:02 am

N4XD wrote:So far I've been unsuccessful in getting a build to complete. Always fails. Pretty sure I am missing a module in Visual Studio. The error is VCTools. I thought this was for C++ but I have that module installed.
Ron
N4XD

Hi Ron,

Can you get Thetis to build using a perfectly "clean" clone from GitHub (i.e. before doing your mods)?
Are you using VS 2019 Community?
IMO, our opportunity to mod the open-source software (and gateware) is the killer feature of these radios!

73, Bryan W4WMT
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:23 am

Thanks for jumping in, Bryan! I've got nothing really to offer because I'm not a coder. But Bryan is the real deal! :)
N4XD

Postby N4XD » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:27 am

Bryan no, can't even do that which is why I think I'm missing a module in VS. The VCTool... error has been a constant.

Am going to continue to see if I can find the answer on the web. Or here.

Thanks

Ron
N4XD

Postby N4XD » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:06 pm

Indeed I was missing the C++ module in visual studios. Finding this post helped: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forum ... ot-defined

It addresses the exact issue I was having. Now, success! My change made, with the mouse, rit change in 5 hz increments.

I'm still completely ignorant on how to generate a .exe file.

Also still want to explore how to make the knob I've assigned in midi to control rit change in smaller increments. Right now VERY sensitive and changing in 20hz steps.

Thanks to all the help received by everyone. Most of all Doug at Anan US service. I won't give more info than that. Don't want him to be over whelmed with requests. I imagine if he's OK with more info he'll chime in and list it.

Ron
N4XD
w3ub

Postby w3ub » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:51 pm

I would like to also see much lower steps in RIT, if you get it working well, including via MIDI it would be great to get that checked into the released code base.

Thanks for trying it.

Doug

Return to “Thetis”