Warbled receive audio.

cleanrf

Warbled receive audio.

Postby cleanrf » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:08 am

Warbled receive audio occasionally. I recently installed Thetis and now I occasionally have the receive audio issue where it sounds like the person transmitting is under water but it comes and goes. Transmit is fine. This is using a laptop plugged into the router and the Anan 10-e also plugged into router. Thanks for any help.
w-u-2-o

Re: Warbled receive audio.

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:42 am

Are you using VAC or are you plugging headphones/speakers into the 10e?

Are you running P1 or P2 firmware?
AG5CK

Postby AG5CK » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:26 pm

cleanrf wrote:Warbled receive audio occasionally. I recently installed Thetis and now I occasionally have the receive audio issue where it sounds like the person transmitting is under water but it comes and goes. Transmit is fine. This is using a laptop plugged into the router and the Anan 10-e also plugged into router. Thanks for any help.

Your transmit audio did this on one transmission the last time we talked. It only happened once and I wasn't sure if it was you or something on my end.
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:06 am

Do you have Noise Reduction on? NR?
Ruben
NB4R
Apache-Labs Anan 7000DLE MKII Black -- Thetis 2.10.3.6 dev_2 -- Windows 11
cleanrf

Postby cleanrf » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:54 am

w-u-2-o wrote:Are you using VAC or are you plugging headphones/speakers into the 10e?

Hello Scott. I am using VAC with a Behringer umc202mc interface. It never did this before upgrading to Thetis. I am not sure which firmware I am using. Any help determining this and if need be, updating is greatly appreciated.
cleanrf

Postby cleanrf » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:55 am

AG5CK wrote:
cleanrf wrote:Warbled receive audio occasionally. I recently installed Thetis and now I occasionally have the receive audio issue where it sounds like the person transmitting is under water but it comes and goes. Transmit is fine. This is using a laptop plugged into the router and the Anan 10-e also plugged into router. Thanks for any help.

Your transmit audio did this on one transmission the last time we talked. It only happened once and I wasn't sure if it was you or something on my end.

Not sure. Its usually very solid.
cleanrf

Postby cleanrf » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:57 am

rbduck wrote:Do you have Noise Reduction on? NR?

No.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:11 pm

cleanrf wrote:
w-u-2-o wrote:Are you using VAC or are you plugging headphones/speakers into the 10e?

Hello Scott. I am using VAC with a Behringer umc202mc interface. It never did this before upgrading to Thetis. I am not sure which firmware I am using. Any help determining this and if need be, updating is greatly appreciated.
Since you are using VAC for audio, I suspect that what you are experiencing is an occasional problem with the resampler. Try this: go to Setup > Audio > VAC1 and in the VAC1 Monitor section at the lower left corner of that window, turn on both "Force" checkboxes. This should disable the resampler.

Resampler problems like this are typically caused by a slight mis-adjustment of VAC parameters (buffer size, RingBuffer, PortAudio). Please post a screen shot of your current VAC1 settings, and also of your Behringer control panel so we can see the Behringer driver settings.

Finally, if you don't know what firmware you are running it is probably P1 (protocol 1). If you go to Setup > General > H/W Select and look in the lower right corner, what does is say for "Ver:"?
cleanrf

Postby cleanrf » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:13 pm

It reads firmware version Ver: 0.0
Attachments
delete behringer status.PNG
delete behringer status.PNG (10.33 KiB) Viewed 8152 times
delete behringer buffer settings.PNG
delete behringer buffer settings.PNG (16.52 KiB) Viewed 8152 times
delete anan snip.PNG
delete anan snip.PNG (51.62 KiB) Viewed 8152 times
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:54 pm

Have you tried setting the ""Force" checkboxes?

With ASIO I recommend setting both PortAudio buffers to 0ms.

Why not run in manual for both RingBuffer settings?
cleanrf

Postby cleanrf » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:34 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:Have you tried setting the ""Force" checkboxes?

With ASIO I recommend setting both PortAudio buffers to 0ms.

Why not run in manual for both RingBuffer settings?

I will check the force boxes tonight.
Good to know on the port audio.
I am not sure why the Ring Buffer settings are like that unless it was included in one the available profiles I tried.

Is there a way to update the firmware in my rig?
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:53 am

One thing at a time. Worry about the firmware later.

Remember that VAC settings are saved in each transmit profile. If you want to ensure your VAC settings remain stable and predictable, save a transmit profile when you have everything just the way you want it. Also, on the Transmit setup tab, disable the two automatic transmit profile save options.
cleanrf

Postby cleanrf » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:54 am

I seemed to have solved the receive audio issue but for the last few days I have been getting complaints that my transmit audio starts to echo or get very unrecognizable and it starts splattering badly. Its like it is breaking into oscillation. Sometimes unkeying and rekeying is enough to fix it for a while. I am assuming this may be an RFI issue.
cleanrf

Re: Thetis 2.8.11 Released!

Postby cleanrf » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:38 am

Joe N9VX was having a similar issue with echo and distortion. This is what I posted here. The warbled audio was a receive only issue. He is my last post on that warbled audio.

"I seemed to have solved the receive audio issue but for the last few days I have been getting complaints that my transmit audio starts to echo or get very unrecognizable and it starts splattering badly. Its like it is breaking into oscillation. Sometimes unkeying and rekeying is enough to fix it for a while. I am assuming this may be an RFI issue."

It is not a RFI issue.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:34 am

Did you disable the resampler as previously discussed?

Now that Thetis supports both Protocol 1 and 2 firmware, I recommend you switch back to P1 to see if you can isolate your problem to P2 firmware performance on your serial number 10E.
Cosmo1stgen

Postby Cosmo1stgen » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:13 pm

I cannot comment on the warbled audio but I did get complaints of the echo. I also have asio and the same beringer. It turned out to be rf in the shack. I have a lot of clip on chokes on the cables now. Though I didn’t do it scientifically when I put them on so I am not sure which one actually fixed it.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:57 pm

Thanks for reminding us that echo = RFI, Cosmo. That is almost always the case with our radios. It's a flare-lit tip-off for RFI because, depending on the exact settings in use, there is typically 100 to 200ms mic to RF delay (latency) in our radios and that is why RFI sounds like an echo.

Before I moved my antennas away from the house I experienced this and it was easily fixed using a couple of snap-on ferrites on the microphone cable where it plugged into my Behringer interface.
cleanrf

Postby cleanrf » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:16 pm

Thanks guys. I am operating remotely out of town for next few days. I will test when I get back. I am pretty sure I disabled the resampler. I will check on changing protocol when I get home.
kc2rgw

Postby kc2rgw » Sun May 16, 2021 12:10 pm

Yup the echo is RF on the audio. I struggled for months with it on just 40m. Put ferrite torroid cores all over and did some antenna work, now it’s gone. I had the echo not only on the Anan but on a SunSDR2 DX as well. I did find that in my case it would get in over the USB sound card using VAC and it went away when I used the “analog” wired mic path where I had isolation transformers, but finally got it cleaned up and I’m back on VAC again.

Return to “Thetis”