Fixed mode

ww1ssradio

Fixed mode

Postby ww1ssradio » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:14 pm

Is there any way in Thetis to have the pan adapter in fixed mode so when I tune the pan adapter stays in the same place instead of it being in center mode
Traveling in the RV
Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . .
kc2rgw

Re: Fixed mode

Postby kc2rgw » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:58 am

Click the CTUN button?
laurencebarker

Postby laurencebarker » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:12 pm

Something I find annoying, and which might be what you are wanting to avoid, is that the waterfall become out of date once you tune. You see an SSB signal 20KHz away, and by eye you may be able to get with a few KHz of it; but it always stops transmitting before you get there. If the waterfall scrolled sideways as you tuned, you'd be able to be on frequency for when it transmit again. pihpsdr can do that - I've never looked at how complex it would be to achieve. Essentially you would have to estimate how many pixels you have tuned by, and scroll the display accordingly.

(Someone may know a way to achieve this already, but I don't!)
Laurence Barker G8NJJ
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:40 pm

Richie looked at doing this. It didn't seem difficult to do.

FWIW, personally I always prefer operating in CTUN mode. To me this provides the best situational awareness. And since Thetis, when configured with a 768KHz IF sampling rate, can show the entirety of any band except 6 and 10M, it is easy to simply put the entire band or sub-band of interest up on the display, then never move it from there. It's much easier to remember that "this signal is here and that one over there" then remember specific frequencies to put at the center of the display (as you have to do with CTUN off). And even in those instances where you want to zoom in on the spectral display, for example on a big pile-up running split, IMHO is is still much easier to run this in CTUN mode.

Finally, Richie made some significant improvements in how CTUN worked. It takes some fooling with the options (I'm not in front of the radio PC right now so can't remember precisely), but if you are one of those folks who likes to be zoomed in but still use CTUN you can set it to either "jump" to the next band segment when you hit an edge or "scroll" when you hit an edge. It's even possible to pan/zoom off of where your actual passband is if you want.
ww1ssradio

Postby ww1ssradio » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:46 pm

Thank you all very much . . . That is what I was looking for WOO . . . HOO
Traveling in the RV
Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . .

Return to “Thetis”