Newbie questions re: Thetis RX1, RX2, Multi, scale

Taiga

Newbie questions re: Thetis RX1, RX2, Multi, scale

Postby Taiga » Sun May 24, 2020 8:35 pm

Hi,
Am a new user re: Thetis 2.70. Could you kindly help with these questions:

1. Is it possible to Zoom the vertical scale on the panadapter? I understand one can drag it up and down, but this doesn't zoom the scale. Would like to change it from e.g. -60 to -120 to -80 to -120.

2. On 20 meters, would like to simultaneously listen to FT8 -> VAC1 and CW -> VAC2, How would I go about this? Have tried:

a. Activating MultiRx for RX1 - this seems to only allow me to have 2 DIGU windows in RX1 (or 2 CW windows), When MulitRx is activated, can one use two different modes at the same time, e.g. DIGU and CW, or only one mode?

b. Tried using RX1 on 20 meters for FT8, then activating RX2 on 20 meters for CW. Challenges :

i) RX2 shows a noise floor of -145 with no radio signals - doesn't look like it's connected to an antenna.
Is it possible to assign RX2 to the same antenna as RX1? If so, how does one go about this?

In summary, when I try using MultiRX with VFO A, it seems that I am stuck using the same mode e.g. DIGU for the VFO and subVFO. When I try to get around this by using Rx2, to allow the use of a different mode on the same band, I can't figure out how to connect RX2 to the same antenna as RX1.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mont.
w-u-2-o

Re: Newbie questions re: Thetis RX1, RX2, Multi, scale

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun May 24, 2020 9:08 pm

Taiga wrote:1. Is it possible to Zoom the vertical scale on the panadapter? I understand one can drag it up and down, but this doesn't zoom the scale. Would like to change it from e.g. -60 to -120 to -80 to -120.

You can do this, but you can't do it from the main console. You have to go into Setup > Display > RX1 (or RX2, as appropriate) and change the "Spectrum Grid" min and max. You have to do this separately for each band. Once the min and max are set that vertical span will be maintained.

2. On 20 meters, would like to simultaneously listen to FT8 -> VAC1 and CW -> VAC2, How would I go about this?

VAC1 only carries RX1 audio (including MultiRX). VAC2 only carries RX2 audio. Therefore you will have to tune the FT8 portion of the band on RX1 and the CW portion on RX2. Note that while both VAC interfaces can produce receive audio, only VAC1 can accept and transmit audio.

RX2 shows a noise floor of -145 with no radio signals - doesn't look like it's connected to an antenna. Is it possible to assign RX2 to the same antenna as RX1? If so, how does one go about this?

Yes, the default ADC assignment settings for radios with dual ADCs have RX2 assigned to the second ADC. That ADC input is assigned to a dedicated connector on the back of radio. It goes by different names depending on what radio you have, e.g. "RX2", "ADC2", etc.

To get RX2 to use the primary ADC, go to Settings > General > ADC. You will see a couple of DDCs assigned to ADC1 (the second ADC, the first and primary being ADC0). Which one needs to change depends on the model hardware you are using. Enable RX2 and change them one at a time until you get what you want.
Taiga

Postby Taiga » Sun May 24, 2020 9:23 pm

Thank you very much for your help!

Mont.
Joe-W4WT

Postby Joe-W4WT » Mon May 25, 2020 4:36 pm

Actually, you can expand the panadapter scale without going into Setup. Just right click on it, hold, and move the mouse up or down. I do it all the time.

Joe W4WT
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon May 25, 2020 8:34 pm

Thank you, Joe! I did not know it did that! Fantastic!

Has it always worked this way, or is this one of Richie's innovations?
Joe-W4WT

Postby Joe-W4WT » Mon May 25, 2020 10:13 pm

Scott, it has always worked that way, to my knowledge. Seems like I've been using that function for quite a while but I'm old and who knows?

Enjoy!

Joe W4WT
FM5GB

Postby FM5GB » Wed May 27, 2020 10:27 pm

Hi Joe,

did'nt know that either: great tip ! (using 2.6.9)

73s.

Phil

Return to “Thetis”