Wave Record/Play function not working properly

rbduck

Wave Record/Play function not working properly

Postby rbduck » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:19 pm

I'm using Thetis 2.7.0 with the latest firmware. Since I'm still learning I thought I would go back through the video on setting up transmit audio settings using CFC audio tools. I've done this before with no issues. This time however I made it to the point of recording my transmitted audio and playing it back in a loop. To my surprise the Wave recording did not record anything. Quick record was no different. I could see my audio on the transmit panadapter, but nothing records. I performed a search and the word "record" had numerous hits. I went through each one finding a few similar reported issues, but no real solutions. What I have tried is to completely remove/ uninstall Thetis and then installed it again moving from the 2.6.9 Thetis install and the 2.7.0. file overlay. This did not help. I did find a way to get an audio recording. In Wave File Controls>Options I changed the "When transmitting, Record..." option from "MIC Audio" to "Transmitter Output I/Q". This did result in recorded audio.

One of my questions is this. Does this record similar audio that will give the same results using CFC Audio Tools as when using MIC Audio?
My other question is there a solution to the issue of not getting recorded audio when the "When transmitting, Record..." option is set to MIC Audio?

I'm also using VoiceMeeter Potato . I've tried routing my audio differently with no improvement. I also tried taking VM Potato completely out of the picture with no improvement. It has worked previously and I may try an earlier version of Thetis. I appreciate any help and I do realize this is a fringe problem that not many people have ever had. Thank you much.
Ruben
NB4R
Apache-Labs Anan 7000DLE MKII Black -- Thetis 2.10.3.6 dev_2 -- Windows 11
w-u-2-o

Re: Wave Record/Play function not working properly

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:34 pm

I have no difficulty making the recording. I click the Wave menu item and the Wave File Controls window opens. I click record and make a normal transmission, then click record again to stop. I then click the Add button and add the recording to the Playlist.

However, I cannot get the recording to playback into the transmitter properly.

Assuming I'm not making some mistake, until this is fixed another way to do what you want would be to use the recorder in Voicemeeter and route the playback audio from that back into VAC.
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:51 pm

Thank you Scott. Yes everything is recording well in VoiceMeeter. The issue is not really big deal for me more than a curiosity. My personal problem is that I get rather obsessive about finding a resolution. That statement may be contradictory to the previous statement. It's the challenge that keeps me looking. 8-) The only thing I've used that function for is to use CFC Audio tools. I can route the recorded audio in VoiceMeeter back into the VAC as you suggest.

I should have added in the first message that in Wave File Controls I can record audio from the bands with no problem. If I find a resolution I will post it. Thanks again for your help.
Ruben
NB4R
ea3aqr

Postby ea3aqr » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:05 pm

I think that audio recording and playback needs a new whole implementation.

It's very difficult to transmit the recorded audio using VAC.

We need an easy new option where we can just select a file and hit a button to TX the recorded audio. Of course, the radio should, automatically, stop transmiting when audio file ends.
New call sign EA3CL
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:54 pm

A complete build from the ground up would be grand. The guys that are developing this software must be great guys to do all that they do for the love of the hobby. I can wait on the record function. Let them put it on their plate and build it in their own time. The more I get into this software the better I like it. It's not easy sometimes. Like I said earlier, I love the challenge. This audio glitch is about the first thing I've come across that I have been unable to make work as I think it should. I have some other issues I need to track down. Off to that I go! :)
Ruben
NB4R
Jay_N2MGA

Postby Jay_N2MGA » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:23 am

Hmmmm, using Thetis v2.7.0 (3/1/20) MW0LGE (a3); I can report that the front panel quick record and playback works and can xmit the playback without any issues. Additionally, I can also utilize the Wave panel Record button and routine of clicking the Add button to select the newly recorded .wav file, clicking on the Wave panel Play button also works while xmit'ing.

Not using VAC here, only hurdle I came across was Windows 10 coming up with a Protected Folder Access Block which went away after adding the Thetis app access via the Win 10 Virus & Threat Protection menus. Not sure what to suggest, I do use the following settings in the Wave panel Options menu;

When Receiving, record "Receiver Output Audio"
When Transmitting, record "Mic Audio"
Sample Rate 48000 (reduces size of .wav file)
Bit Depth 32-bit IEEE Floats
Dither Not Enabled (cleared checkbox)

Have not tried this using VAC, have always run mic in / line in to the radio.

jay
n2mga
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:31 pm

Jay,

Thanks for the information. I don't think I had tried it from the Play and Record GUI buttons. I looked in the Wave options and my setup matched yours. I tried it and it would record and play back fine. It would not play back when transmitting.

When I had my microphone connected to the radio the Wave recording/playback/playback while transmitting functions worked perfectly.
I'm using VAC with VoiceMeeter Potato and since using this setup it has not worked. Reading related topics throughout the forum it seems that it's a known issue and somewhere down the road the code may get reworked so this function will work. I am patient in this respect and since I can't do this type of programming. I can wait. I appreciate these guys that can do this and will do this for the love of the hobby.

In the meantime I am running Thetis v2.7.0 (3/1/20) MW0LGE (a3) as well and the functions I use are running without issue.
Ruben
NB4R
Jay_N2MGA

Postby Jay_N2MGA » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:56 pm

Ok, found a bit of weirdness, with VAC enabled, made a quick front panel recording, tried to xmit the playback, this did not work as noted in prior posts. But, was able to xmit the playback with VAC disabled.

This method also works for recordings made via the Wave panel while VAC is enabled, xmitting the .wav file playback works after disabling VAC.

Ofcourse one has to re-enable VAC to xmit mic audio after playback etc...

So this sounds like (no pun intended) that the routing of playback's while VAC is enabled and xmitting is not functional as noted by the prior postings, but disabling VAC temporarily will allow xmitting the playback.

jay
n2mga
LarryW

Postby LarryW » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:10 pm

Did anyone ever find a fix for this problem?
I am not currently using VM and would like to hold off till I get the Berhringer 202hd up and running smoothly first.

I just tried it with VAC on and it won't work, however it does work with VAC off!

Thanks
Larry
7000 mkll Thetis v2.8.11 21k3
P2_v2.0b
Dell XPS 8930 i5-9400/Behringer 202HD/Audio-Technica BPHS2 headset, USB PTT, Behringer XR 12 (Rack in a Box)
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:26 pm

I believe a fix for this is in the works, but not sure when it will be released. There will be a VAC option check box called "Bypass VAC for recording playback".

Return to “Thetis”