Slow Video Refresh- An Observation

rbduck

Slow Video Refresh- An Observation

Postby rbduck » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:45 am

I'm curious to know if anyone else has noticed what I'm about to describe. It's not a real problem, but a curiosity for me. I've been downloading and trying numerous Display Skins from W1AEX's site. They are great. Today I downloaded and starting using the "World Time Blue" display skin. I've been running Thetis a few weeks now and all page loads have been instantaneous. Now I noticed that when I was moving from one Thetis setup screen to the next the page loads were very slow. Each line on each page was drawing incrementally down the page until it was complete. After this I payed more attention and did notice that general screen refreshes were sluggish. Setup screen draws were very slow. I'm running an i7-9700 processor with a GTX 1080 TI video card and 16 gb of memory. Processor power is not a problem. I then went to some overclocking settings with no change in performance. Finally I went to the Appearance setup screen and put a mark in the "Disable picDis[;ay" box. All page writes including setup screens were back to normal. I removed the mark and performance slowed again.

'm on Thetis ver 2.6.9 with FW version Metis_Orion_MkII_Protocol_2_v2.0a.

For me, this is not a real problem. Has anyone ever noticed this? I haven't tried the other two World map screens to see if I get the same result.
I really like that skin. I've not had this happen on any other skin and I have tried a lot of them. I'm going to continue my observations. Thank for your attention.
Ruben
NB4R
Apache-Labs Anan 7000DLE MKII Black -- Thetis 2.10.3.6 dev_2 -- Windows 11
DH1KLM

Re: Slow Video Refresh- An Observation

Postby DH1KLM » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:24 am

I noticed this as well when Thetis is running at GDI+. Disabling picDisplay speeds up the redrawing of setupscreen.
I think that has to do with the file size of picDisplay, which is relatively large in this skin compared to the other skins.

Ever since Thetis can run at DirectX this is no issue for me anymore.
Even with the I7 3770S integrated HD Graphics 4000 GPU Thetis is running nice and smooth.
73 de Sigi / DH1KLM
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:19 am

Hi Sigi,

Thank you for the heads up on DirectX engine. I switched to that and refresh is nice and smooth even with the "World Time Blue" Display engaged.
I read a thread where it was mentioned that DirectX was coming soon, but that was pretty old. I didn't know if it was good to go or not.

Thank You Again!
Ruben
NB4R
Apache-Labs Anan 7000DLE MKII Black -- Thetis 2.10.3.6 dev_2 -- Windows 11
FM5GB

Postby FM5GB » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:58 am

Hi,
had the same problem with certain skins especially those with the worldmap.

73s

Return to “Thetis”