Deprecating GDI+ in Thetis

W4WMT

Deprecating GDI+ in Thetis

Postby W4WMT » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:09 pm

Personally, I see no reason to oppose "pulling the plug" on GDI+ video for future builds of Thetis - especially if it means easing the workload of our developers (e.g. Richie) in their efforts to modernize our outdated user interface. The underpinnings of Thetis (the WDSP and ChannelMaster libraries) offer second-to-none features, sophistication and performance in the ham radio SDR world and deserve a front end to match.

I think it would be a good idea to first check with our development leadership, Doug and Warren, to make sure they don't see any reason to stick with GDI+ going forward.

Thoughts?

w-u-2-o

Re: Deprecating GDI+ in Thetis

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:33 pm

I've posted on this previously. I say leave it in the codebase but disable it in the next beta and see who screams, if anyone. If it survives a few betas and an actual release that way, pull the plug. If somebody does scream it's got to be more than just a few wags who are still running Windows XP. If it does turn out to be a problem then simple enable it and continue to maintain the codebase that way.

But turning it off at least temporarily, i.e. forcing the issue, is the only way to be sure (Ripley's Rule) ;)

Return to “Thetis”