ramdor

Re: 2.6.8

Postby ramdor » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:55 am

w2ner wrote:
ramdor wrote:
w2ner wrote:
typing a feq into mine works for what its worth

errr odd, you using d5? I can type one in, but if i press enter it doesn't change. The issue is a bit tricky to resolve. Exploring options atm. Text box contents is not updated until focus is lost in windows forms, and recent changes to lost focus for vfoA/B now do not directly access contents of the textbox, so it is a chicken egg issue. Time to make an omelette :)

Richie.

D5?? No D4_2, whats the link to D5?

ah there was briefly a d5, but removed the link until i fix this problem. The post just a couple up, with the changes
w2ner

Postby w2ner » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:08 am

Okay, well if you can fix that display freezing problem when panning, that would be great.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:04 am

w2ner wrote:Okay, well if you can fix that display freezing problem when panning, that would be great.

d5 updated above.

Looks like PAN/ZOOM will be a no. After looking at it quickly, everything pretty much gets set when you slide that pan/zoom and I guess that no pixel data is being returned during the changes.

Richie.

Latest Update : viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3144&start=420#p8649
ea3aqr

Postby ea3aqr » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:23 am

ramdor wrote:UPDATE

HI all,

Please try : https://www.dropbox.com/s/eh9dn1ongtd5l ... 5.zip?dl=0

Just a WIP build, that hopefully fixes some annoying issues. Includes the initial pass of SEQ logging. The 'special panafall' mode wont return until the displays are 'split' and the mid point of each can be dragged up/down.

Richie.

(10/7/19) d5
  • change: restored plot order for panadapter, grid before data, undoes d4 change
  • fix: vertical in between (minor) lines now drawn if lower major line is off left edge of spectrum
  • fix: US 60m channelised bandstack now works as intended. Changes will only be saved if on an expected slot frequency unless using ‘extended’ mode. If you click 60m when not on a channelised frequency, the closest one will be selected. This is all previous behaviour.
  • add: band stack add to 60m for regions other than US
  • fix: VFOBfreq and CTUN state now recovered, not previously read back in
  • fix: on app start and CTUN enabled rx passband will be on correct frequency and display will be in previous position
  • fix: wideband minimize and resize issues fixed
  • add: first pass of SEQ logging, access through Setup->Tests->Show SEQ log button. Just plain text at the moment. Numbers are delta from expected sequence number expected. 40 slot ring buffer per DCC0-7. When SEQ error occurs (ie not expected next in sequence) a snapshot of that buffer is taken. 20 snapshots in total, s0 being most recent.

No fixes
- nofix: state of Fwd/SWR metering mode for TUN is not being stored and had to be reset every time I start the app... This is stored per TX profile. As tx profile is applied after all settings are read in, the setting stored with the currently selected TX profile is used. This is the same issue with the store of drive level. Do we want to ignore or use the profile? We can’t really do both. May need something that tracks change that is also covered by a profile and warns user that setting will be lost unless profile saved?
- nofix: With CTUN enabled, occasionally when I switch bands display is centred on passband instead of frequency... Could not replicate
- nofix: - since I have used D1, I notice a change in the band stacking frequencies. All frequencies are fine until I turn on RX2 and add the SYNC VFO button. I then notice that some of the band stacking frequencies change by 400 Hz down. This is the same frequency that I use for CW pitch or offset on my Anan... Could not replicate, possibly fixed by rework of US bandstack

The Seq Log screen is not showing info at all...

SeqLog.jpg
SeqLog.jpg (540.79 KiB) Viewed 16480 times
New call sign EA3CL
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:30 am

Just took a look at the SEQ log after a few hours and its blank. I'm hoping this means no errors :-)
ea3aqr

Postby ea3aqr » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:12 pm

Tony EI7BMB wrote:Just took a look at the SEQ log after a few hours and its blank. I'm hoping this means no errors :-)

I hope so...
New call sign EA3CL
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:55 pm

ea3aqr wrote:
Tony EI7BMB wrote:Just took a look at the SEQ log after a few hours and its blank. I'm hoping this means no errors :-)

I hope so...

Yep 8-)
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:04 pm

Stuck in meetings today so haven't made friends with the new version yet :(

ramdor wrote:Hi Bryan, yes it will be. I am seeing loss here from time to time, which undoubtedly is the hotchpotch of switches, 10gbit, 1gbig and 100mbit links in this place :D :lol: The following when I hit two tone, with ps-a on. 100 lost :o

Richie: two tools which you may be familiar with: iPerf and Tamosoft. Both are excellent tools for benchmarking your network performance in terms of UDP dropped packets. However, since neither can run directly on the ANAN hardware it is difficult to know for certain what the true performance is including the network driver in the firmware.

That said, 1% packet loss rate on UDP is not unusual. It is, after all, not a lossless protocol. It would have been much better to use IP, but we are pretty much stuck with UDP for now.

Cheers!

Scott
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:20 pm

ramdor wrote:- nofix: state of Fwd/SWR metering mode for TUN is not being stored and had to be reset every time I start the app... This is stored per TX profile. As tx profile is applied after all settings are read in, the setting stored with the currently selected TX profile is used. This is the same issue with the store of drive level. Do we want to ignore or use the profile? We can’t really do both. May need something that tracks change that is also covered by a profile and warns user that setting will be lost unless profile saved?
Hi Richie,

This would appear to be a different paradigm to how all other metering mode assignments are handled. If this is correct, then my recommendation would be to pull this out of the Transmit Profile so that it is handled the same way as all other metering assignments such that the meter assignment paradigm is consistent across all metering modes.

- nofix: With CTUN enabled, occasionally when I switch bands display is centred on passband instead of frequency... Could not replicate
This appears to be fixed now, perhaps as a side effect of the other fixes.

Thanks & 73!

Scott
ULTIMAX

Postby ULTIMAX » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:29 pm

Richie,

download it here and is working great nothing negative to report here, the stability in the Panafall is very nice,,,you're the men !!!

Al
73's
W3MMR

Postby W3MMR » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:39 pm

Just installed D5... Anyone else getting this? Besides this, it works fine. I hit "continue" and it seems to pop up every 10 minutes or so.

error.PNG
error.PNG (922.08 KiB) Viewed 16381 times

Perry
W3MMR
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:03 pm

ok Perry,, did you include channelmaster.dll from the d5 zip? or just the exe?

It looks like you perhaps are getting a rare (10min ish) SEQ error and the front end is trying to get the data from channelmaster.dll

perry1.JPG
perry1.JPG (11.02 KiB) Viewed 16354 times

Richie.
W3MMR

Postby W3MMR » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:41 am

No, I didnt... Sorry about that. Ill include it and get back to you...

Perry
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:44 pm

W3MMR wrote:No, I didnt... Sorry about that. Ill include it and get back to you...

Perry

you want to include everything that is in the zip, not just parts of it ;)

Richie.
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:00 pm

Richie,

Thank you for fixing the data line issue on AM. It looks fine now with D5. So far, I have gathered zero errors in the SEQ log after running Thetis for 18 hours. It's all running smoothly here. :)

Rob W1AEX
"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:08 pm

W1AEX wrote:Richie,
It's all running smoothly here. :)

Ah good stuff Rob :)

Richie.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:28 am

Richie,

After about 8 hours of continuous receive operation and three short QSOs, without paying any attention to checking the log, this is what I have at the end of the day.

It might be handy if the log had time tags and was also tagged as to whether the mode was RX or TX.

To me it looks like a packet reorder buffer with a depth of 5 would have cured most of these ills, except for those instances of 1512--am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks!

Scott

Seq Error Log.txt
(5.05 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:31 am

UPDATE

Hi all,

Please try : https://www.dropbox.com/s/cg4yqonzcynke ... 1.zip?dl=0

(10/7/19) d6
  • add: uV (rms) option for meter text. Changed through setup, or by clicking the text area of the meter. It will cycle smeter, dbm, uv. Feature requested by wa1oxt
  • change: directX antialiasing disabled. Do we need option for this?
  • change: tune meter type and tune power now not restored with tx profile

All source/changes for the (d) builds have just gone off to Doug.

Cheers for all the testing during this iteration.

Richie.
Last edited by ramdor on Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:44 am

w-u-2-o wrote:Richie,

After about 8 hours of continuous receive operation and three short QSOs, without paying any attention to checking the log, this is what I have at the end of the day.

It might be handy if the log had time tags and was also tagged as to whether the mode was RX or TX.

To me it looks like a packet reorder buffer with a depth of 5 would have cured most of these ills, except for those instances of 1512--am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks!

Scott

Seq Error Log.txt

Hi Scott,

Any +ve number will be the packet arriving has a sequence number greater than expected. As you are not seeing any -ve numbers at all, then there are no packets arriving out of order, with a lower sequence number than expected. This implies loss only.

For example, if you take the 4's. The packet arriving is 4 ahead of expected, however, the next (or subsequent nexts) do not see any packets that were prior to that higher than expected. Remember, in the code the next packet it is expecting will now be the one after the erroneous 4.

As soon as an out of sequence number is detected a snapshot is made, so you will not get the next packet number included. However, if the next packet is out (ie not the one after your changed sequence number) then another snapshot will happen instantly and you will see two indicated packet sequence errors.

It is hard to explain, but unless you see -ve numbers you are not really getting out of order packets (ie old packets arriving after they should have). As far as I read your log, you are getting small packet loss, except for the 1512's and 245's which are somewhat larger.

BTW, if I use 'clumsy' and turn reorder on, then loads of -ve numbers appear.

edit: yes about time tags and tagging mox state
edit2: and for what it is worth I see similar 200>1000 sequence number errors here, also implying times of heavy loss

Richie.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:57 am

Thanks for the explanations, Richie! So a little bit of occasional packet loss is, in my book, totally OK. No way around it, that's life in the big UDP city. Now if the log was 40 times longer than that I'd be worried about my PC/network performance in this area, so no big deal. Nevertheless, worth keeping the log in there for production because it might help folks debug an actual problem down the road.

73!

Scott
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:02 am

Yes it is very handy it has to be said. I am waiting for someone with -ve numbers, and depending now how large those -ve numbers are will give us an idea if we need the PRO system back in here. As you say, with just +ve values, not much we can do.

73 Richie.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:07 am

change: directX antialiasing disabled. Do we need option for this?
Hard to say. I don't notice any difference in display appearance. Any differences might be hard to discern without actually having the option to play with.
change: tune meter type and tune power now not restored with tx profile
This is not working for me. I actually added the setting to my TX profile per one of your previous posts. Nevertheless, it does not work. Steps to reproduce:

1. Start Thetis.
2. Assert Tune.
3. Notice that TX metering is Rev Pwr.
4. Change TX metering to Fwd/SWR.
5. Quit Thetis.
6. Start Thetis.
7. Assert Tune.
8. TX metering is back to Rev Pwr.

Scott
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:15 am

ah ok, I understand now ref the fwd/swr

This option is not available in the drop down list in setup either, which is the issue basically. The conflict between profile etc was still a problem, so one out of two aint bad :D :lol:

edit: and then need to check if edge/original in use, because original doesnt have swr/fwd, or add swr/fwd to original..... arrrrggghhhh :lol:

vanished.jpg
vanished.jpg (8.01 KiB) Viewed 16162 times

Richie.
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:22 am

K2BU wrote:Hi Richie,
All frequencies are fine until I turn on RX2 and add the SYNC VFO button. I then notice that some of the band stacking frequencies change by 400 Hz down. This is the same frequency that I use for CW pitch or offset on my Anan. This frequency change only occurs when both receivers are on and SYNC VFO is activated! If you continue to go through the band stacking buttons, the frequency will continue to go lower. I am sure this is just a simple code glitch.
Thanks,
Chas

I had to try this out Chas and it appears to be reproducible here with my Thetis D-5 installation when RX2 and VFO Synch are enabled. If all 5 of my bandstack frequencies on a given band are set to sideband and AM there is no problem. However, if I have a frequency in the bandstack that is set to CW mode a frequency offset shows up in the next bandstack frequency when I cycle through the 5 saved frequencies. If I cycle through again the offset changes in the CW mode frequency as well as the next bandstack frequency that follows. Kind of a strange issue but it's definitely there!

73, Rob W1AEX
"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:42 am

W1AEX wrote:
K2BU wrote:Hi Richie,
All frequencies are fine until I turn on RX2 and add the SYNC VFO button. I then notice that some of the band stacking frequencies change by 400 Hz down. This is the same frequency that I use for CW pitch or offset on my Anan. This frequency change only occurs when both receivers are on and SYNC VFO is activated! If you continue to go through the band stacking buttons, the frequency will continue to go lower. I am sure this is just a simple code glitch.
Thanks,
Chas

I had to try this out Chas and it appears to be reproducible here with my Thetis D-5 installation when RX2 and VFO Synch are enabled. If all 5 of my bandstack frequencies on a given band are set to sideband and AM there is no problem. However, if I have a frequency in the bandstack that is set to CW mode a frequency offset shows up in the next bandstack frequency when I cycle through the 5 saved frequencies. If I cycle through again the offset changes in the CW mode frequency as well as the next bandstack frequency that follows. Kind of a strange issue but it's definitely there!

73, Rob W1AEX

thanks rob/chas. I will re-add back into issues list. There are some oddities with the band stack system it has to be said, so will probably need to go through it all.

Richie.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:20 am

Hi Rob,

If you have a mo, could you try : https://www.dropbox.com/s/cg4yqonzcynke ... 1.zip?dl=0

Richie.
wa1oxt

Postby wa1oxt » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:52 am

Wow... that was quick !!!

Great job on d6-1.

Thank's Rich

wa1oxt / / garyradio
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:04 am

wa1oxt wrote:Wow... that was quick !!!

Great job on d6-1.

Thank's Rich

wa1oxt / / garyradio

I don't really know if it fixed the issue as I couldn't replicate it here. However I did find something related, which may have been causing some oddities.

Richie.
W3MMR

Postby W3MMR » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:33 am

Installed D6 this morning and im having an issue with the data line. #1, its not as "smooth" as the data line in D5, and it looks like the data line when I have GDI+ selected instead of DirectX. But if I have the line size below 1.0, i keep mine on 0.8 normally, it becomes spotty. This used to happen to me if I was to go from DirectX, to GDI+, and back to DirectX. Then closing an reopening the program would always fix it. But now on D6, nothing fixes it. Its all the time, no matter what I try. I tried restarting my PC, powering the radio itself down, and still the same result. Anyone else experiencing this? And yes, i put all the files in the directory this time hi hi :)

Perry

This is what im talking about
data.PNG
data.PNG (974.73 KiB) Viewed 16106 times

This is how it looks in D5, with the same settings.
good_data.PNG
good_data.PNG (983.58 KiB) Viewed 16106 times

These are my settings
appearence.PNG
appearence.PNG (28.3 KiB) Viewed 16106 times
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:22 am

Hi Perry,

Yes, this is due to anti-aliasing being disabled. To draw a line narrower than 1 pixel nicely anti-aliasing needs to be enabled. Best you can do at the mo is set line width to 1.0 and pick colour that is dimmer/darker than you really want.

I made the change to bring it into line with the GDI+ display as I disliked the way the line seemed to fade as it became sub 1 pixel wide and gdi+ didn't really do anything below 1.0 anyway. I will add an option to enable/disable anti-aliasing.

Richie.
Last edited by ramdor on Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Thetis”