First attempt at Thetis

Buck

First attempt at Thetis

Postby Buck » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:16 am

I've been using OpenHPSDR 3.4.9 on my 200D, through a dumb network switch and a windows 10 i7 desktop, and decided to try Thetis. I used the bootloader and Orion_NP_v1.2_restored_4-17.rbf, which I had to rename metis.rbf. Bootloader reported successful programming of the protocol 2 firmware. I then ran Thetis_v2.6.0.0_beta_Setup.msi and started Thetis. It ran the Wisdom calculations, then initialized.

Thetis is presenting a very high noise level, far above actual conditions at my location (see attached). Where do I begin to trouble-shoot the installation? Thanks for all help.

Buck ko0y
Attachments
thetis.PNG
thetis.PNG (176.59 KiB) Viewed 10090 times
w-u-2-o

Re: First attempt at Thetis

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:34 am

Buck,

Getting consistent reports that the new P2 200D firmware is not working. Suggest you go back to the older P2 200D firmware or all the way back to P1.

Scott
Joe-W4WT

Postby Joe-W4WT » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:02 am

I just installed the new 1.3 P2 firmware and Thetis 2.6.0 and so far, everything seems to be working pretty well on my 8000 board. Still a lot of testing to do but the only thing I've found so far is there is a glitch with VOX operation. VOX engages smoothly but when it drops it does a double or triple stutter step for me.

Joe W4WT
Buck

Postby Buck » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:43 am

Scott, I'd like to stay with Thetis if practical. How far back in P2 should I go?

Buck ko0y
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:14 pm

Got better news for you this morning: a newer version, v1.3, of the 200D P2 code is now posted. Give that a try instead. Forward instead of backwards! Note this update is only for the 200D (Orion), P2 firmware for all other radio hardware types remains the same.
FM5GB

Postby FM5GB » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:35 pm

Hi All !

P2 v 1.3 does not run stable on my setup (200D. Win 7). It freezes about 10 to15 minutes or so after launch. and a necessary database reset . So I was not able to test it in a correct manner.

I'll have to stay with Power SDR mRX. so far.

Was so promising but no luck.

Phil FM5GB 73s
Buck

Postby Buck » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:18 pm

I loaded P2.1.3 and it cannot find the radio (asks if powered up). I loaded P2.1.1 and it finds the radio and runs Thetis at a normal noise level. It receives and transmits, but has problems with each.

I use VAC on both RX1 and RX2 (see attachments). VAC1 is for voice, using ASIO and the mic and speakers/headphones attached to a UMC202HD. VAC2 is for digital, using MME and a pair of virtual audio cables. This is how it worked in PowerSDR. In Thetis, VAC2 will both receive and transmit properly. VAC1 will receive, but not transmit. Using PTT or MOX places the radio in transmit and mutes RX2, but speaking into the mic does not raise power above 0 watts. Windows sound panel shows output, and mic privacy settings are on. I have tried MME and directsound with the same results. What am I missing here?

On the receive side, RX2 is now somehow tied to RX1. I have three antennas, with number 2 and 3 for receive only. Antenna 1 goes to ANT1, while 2 and 3 go through splitters. One side of each go to ANT2 and ANT3, while the other go to a Delta switch, thence to RX2. On PowerSDR, that let me change receiving antennas independently for RX1 and 2, but on Thetis RX2 is following the selection of RX1, even if RX2 is not connected to any antenna! I am guessing this might have to do with the new ADC setup tab, which is very different from the old one and doesn't mention RX2. How can I set up Thetis so RX2 is following the second ADC, while RX1 is on the first?

I would like to stay with Thetis if possible; thanks again for helping.

Buck ko0y
Attachments
HW.PNG
HW.PNG (29.15 KiB) Viewed 10014 times
vac2.PNG
vac2.PNG (27.34 KiB) Viewed 10014 times
vac1.PNG
vac1.PNG (31.45 KiB) Viewed 10014 times
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:02 pm

Hmmm...it seems like we are still getting mixed reports on the Orion code. More people can run it, but many still cannot.

Buck--it takes some trial and error to determine this, which you could have done yourself, but in Thetis 2.6.0:

DDC2 is assigned to RX1
DDC3 is assigned to RX2

Knowing that you can set your ADC assignments however you like. It is easy to experiment as changes are made in real time.

I do not use ADC1 for anything, so I have both DDC2 and 3 assigned to ADC0

As for your VAC settings, I suggest your database needs to be reset, and I do not understand how you were using VAC2 for digital with PowerSDR. Only audio brought in via VAC1 can be transmitted in both PowerSDR and Thetis.

Scott
Buck

Postby Buck » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:00 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:Hmmm...it seems like we are still getting mixed reports on the Orion code. More people can run it, but many still cannot.

Buck--it takes some trial and error to determine this, which you could have done yourself, but in Thetis 2.6.0:

DDC2 is assigned to RX1
DDC3 is assigned to RX2

Knowing that you can set your ADC assignments however you like. It is easy to experiment as changes are made in real time.

I do not use ADC1 for anything, so I have both DDC2 and 3 assigned to ADC0

As for your VAC settings, I suggest your database needs to be reset, and I do not understand how you were using VAC2 for digital with PowerSDR. Only audio brought in via VAC1 can be transmitted in both PowerSDR and Thetis.

Scott

Okay, checking ADC1 under DDC3 restored antenna control to RX2. I don't understand why there is no longer any reference to RX2 on the ADC page since that is what we have on the face of the radio, but perhaps there is an article that explains it.

I reset and manually modified the database each time I changed the firmware, and did again just now, but VAC1 still won't transmit. As to VAC2, it does indeed transmit audio, in both SDR and Thetis, over the virtual cable that is referenced only in VAC2. A macro turns off VFO sync, sets VFOB to transmit, and turns on the PTT. Reverse commands are sent after transmission. This works even if VAC1 is turned off.

I will keep trying for a while to get Thetis to recognize my microphone on VAC1.

Buck ko0y
Buck

Postby Buck » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:35 pm

I have just found that, if VAC2 is turned off, the microphone will transmit, even if RX2 is on. If VAC2 is then enabled, with no other changes, the microphone will not transmit. Any ideas on how that could be?

Buck ko0y
Buck

Postby Buck » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:53 am

I've been trying different things all day, and it seems that, on Thetis, VAC 1 and 2 cannot be used simultaneously. VAC 1 will transmit only if VAC 2 is turned off, or set to ASIO (but then it cannot be piped to another program). I would like to hear from anyone who has VACs 1 and 2 working together under Thetis.

Buck ko0y
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:34 pm

Buck--I have confirmed the behavior you describe. This is a fairly significant bug in Thetis, of course, and has nothing to do with Protocol 2 firmware per se.
Buck

Postby Buck » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:18 pm

Afraid so. I've now tried every combination: ASIO, MME, etc. with VMB, M-VAC, and even VMP (potato). If VAC2 is enabled, VAC1 will not modulate the transmission. While hoping for a fix, I will go back to Protocol 1 and PowerSDR, reluctantly as I found much to like about Thetis. I wonder, though, about a different approach.

The advantage of SDR radios is that the data remains within the computer to final usage, with no external interfaces or physical cables. Yet we use third-party software to pipe the data to programs such as flidigi, wjst-x, wspr, winlink, M110A. Why can't our VACs appear as sound devices in Windows, to be used directly by these programs? There would be two pairs: VFOA and VFOB as recording devices with RX1 and RX2 as playback. (I know these terms are technically inaccurate, but they're what we use.) Something for the developers to consider...

Buck ko0y
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:27 pm

Well, it all works fine if you don't need VAC2 ;)

But, yes, it seems like it needs to be fixed, changed, or something.

Return to “Thetis”