Why <fill in the blank> "doesn't work in Thetis..."

w-u-2-o

Why <fill in the blank> "doesn't work in Thetis..."

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:47 pm

1. Thetis is in beta. So you can expect things to be broken. However...Thetis is actually in pretty darn good shape. There are very few things "wrong" with it. Sure, just like in PowerSDR there are things that might not work the way you want them to, as opposed to being "broken", but by and large it all works as designed.

2. Protocol 2 firmware is in alpha. This is generally the root cause of difficulties, not Thetis. PureSignal not working? This is why. Crashing randomly when PTT is asserted? This is why. Crashing randomly after being in receive for a few hours? This is why. All of a sudden not able to find the radio on the network when it was just there a few minutes ago? This is why. Anything where power cycling the radio fixes it, this is why.

And, the real kicker, "Why does <fill in the blank> work on my friend's otherwise identical radio and not on mine?" The reason is:

3. Protocol 2 firmware is in alpha. It may or may not make timing properly on your particular serial number radio with your particular power supply at the particular temperature of your shack and radio.

So, as you boldly go where no one has gone before, remember that this stuff is not fully cooked, and don't be too quick to blame Thetis when it is more likely that it is the firmware at this point in the development cycle.

Oh, and be patient ;)

Scott
KA5KKT

Re: Why <fill in the blank> "doesn't work in Thetis..."

Postby KA5KKT » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:24 pm

Is there a tool to determine which Protocol firm was is installed in an Anan? Link..?
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:08 pm

Assuming you have Thetis v2.8.11 installed:

1. Power up your ANAN
2. Start Thetis
3. Look at Setup>F/W set

What sampling rates are available?

1. If you only see three sampling rates: 48k, 96k, 192k you have protocol 1 installed
2. If you see more than three sampling rates, you have protocol 2 installed

Your firmware version is available in Thetis down in the lower right corner of: Setup>H/W select

73, Rob W1AEX
"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."
KA5KKT

Postby KA5KKT » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:00 pm

Thanks, Rob.

...looks like I good up to about 1.5 megs.

I looked at what it takes to update firmware today. It didn't seem overly simple.

Thanks again,
Dick - KA5KKT
PD3LK

Postby PD3LK » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:52 pm

In my case it is under the H/W Select tab, next to your radio's IP address.
73 PD3LK Leon
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:59 pm

KA5KKT wrote:Thanks, Rob.

...looks like I good up to about 1.5 megs.

I looked at what it takes to update firmware today. It didn't seem overly simple.

Thanks again,
Dick - KA5KKT

Hi Dick,

As Leon noted, now that you know you have protocol 2 installed, you can simply look at the H/W Select tab and you will see which version of the protocol 2 firmware is installed. Updating your firmware is actually very simple and it takes less than a minute to accomplish once you have the correct utilities in place. Scott-WU2O has carefully documented step-by-step instructions for everything you need to know at this link:

https://apache-labs.com/community/viewforum.php?f=18

Writing all the steps out to provide clear instructions makes it sound very complicated and involved but it really isn't difficult. Try writing out the directions for tying your shoes, a very simple task, and you will get what I am saying. That being said, no need to update your firmware if everything is working. There are many different protocol 2 firmware versions out there for each ANAN model and not all of them will work well with every radio due to differences in the FPGA tolerances. Sometimes the newest version will not work as well as an earlier version. So... if what is installed is working well, stay with that.

73, Rob W1AEX
"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."
KA5KKT

Postby KA5KKT » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:59 pm

Thanks, fellow.

If I understand correctly, it is Ver: 2.0

I'll take a look at your suggested reference by Scott.

Kind regards,
Dick - KA5KKT

Return to “Thetis”