Thetis - Release notes

therealboss

Thetis - Release notes

Postby therealboss » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:59 pm

I see 2.5.2 is out, I have installed it, but would like to see the release notes for it, so I can see what has been fixed or added.

I have looked everywhere but can't track down the release notes.

Any suggestions?
w-u-2-o

Re: Thetis - Release notes

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:06 pm

This won't be a complete list, however I can tell you that 2.5.2 brings Thetis relatively up to par with PowerSDR by adding the database import functionality, the new TX audio capabilities, as well the enhancements to CTUN and the other related fixes that just came out in PowerSDR 3.4.2. I imagine the MIDI upgrades are in there as well, although I have not looked at that yet.

Be sure to export a copy of your database and uninstall the old version of Thetis, first.

73!

Scott
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:36 pm

Nice! Something new to check out when the next rainy day comes along. I have to say that with the Orion 1.1 firmware the 2.4.3 beta worked very well. I ran it yesterday morning through most of the afternoon and made several contacts on 75 meter AM. I noticed that a couple of the CFC components were not yet hooked in (Pre-EQ, Post-EQ gain slider) but it performed very nicely. As you previously mentioned Scott, it seemed like PS was not yet working well. I am amazed how well things are moving forward with THETIS given all the work that has gone into OpenHPSDR mRX PS recently.

At any rate, should be fun to poke around with 2.5.2 and thank you to the developers!

Rob W1AEX
"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:26 pm

I think PureSignal works well at 192KHz. Performance falls off at higher sample rates, though. Warren has said this is because the current algorithm is optimized for 192KHz. So surely we can look forward to full linearization performance at higher sample rates in the future.
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:51 am

This is a very clever utility within Thetis to manage your bandstack frequencies. I like the adjustable TX filter settings in the Console as well. Very nice!

:)

w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:26 pm

Hmmm, how do you access that feature, Rob? I tried various clicks on my version of 2.5.2 but did not get anything to pop up.

Thanks,

Scott
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:11 pm

Hi Scott,

I clicked on the little "Bandstack" numbers at top center in the same panel as the "VFO Synch" and "Tune Step" settings.

Rob
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:36 pm

Got it! :)
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:07 pm

Hi Scott,

I had some time to kill this morning so I pushed Orion_1.1.rbf into my ANAN-200D and fired up Thetis v2.5.2 to give it a workout. The database migration utility worked flawlessly in my move from the 2.4.3 to the 2.5.2 version. As I mentioned before, I really do like the new bandstack utility and also the convenience of having the adjustable TX filter ranges on the UI console is very nice. As you also reported, I found that Pure Signal did work fine up through 192k but it had difficulty setting the feedback level at higher sampling rates and could not apply a correction. I'm sure the challenge of getting Pure Signal to handle the higher sampling rates is not a trivial matter. I found that after trying out PS with the higher sampling rates that PS would no longer work correctly at 192k or lower unless I closed Thetis and power-cycled the ANAN. Maybe my Orion board's FPGA is one those fringe timing cases with the firmware? Reception was fine with all the sampling rates.

It looks like the Orion_1.1.rbf firmware and Thetis 2.5.2 run with good stability up through the 192k sampling rate with my hardware. The CFC controls appeared to work fine with version 2.5.2 although the traditional EQ did not seem to work either in its original stand-alone role or as a CFC Pre-EQ stage. So, the short list of items that I spotted includes:

1. Pure Signal not working at sampling rates above 192k
2. Traditional EQ stage not yet hooked in.
3. Disappearing band button array when tuned outside of the ham bands.

At this point it's tempting to simply switch over to Thetis 2.5.2 and stay there, but I decided to go back to protocol 1 so that I can still use CuSDR when I'm in the mood to just tune around.

Rob W1AEX
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:18 pm

Rob,

There is actually a problem with the TX EQ in 2.5.2 that I discovered and that is being worked right now.

Once that is fixed I'm looking forward to putting more time on the new protocol. I have to have that because I'm addicted to the new TX audio capabilities :)

FWIW, I'm running the latest P2 firmware on an 8000 right now and have many of the same problems I have on the 100D, primarily that the firmware will occasionally crash, requiring a physical power cycle of the radio itself to get it to restart.

73!

Scott
NC3Z

Postby NC3Z » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:13 am

With 2.6.0 and FW 1.3 out, do we gain anything new or just fixes?
Gary NC3Z
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:18 pm

The recent firmware release should make P2 be a viable choice for nearly everyone, where before it only ran in a stable fashion for very few people.

Thetis 2.6 fixes a number of bugs since 2.5.2. I use it as my "daily driver". However, both Thetis and the firmware are still in beta, so everyone's favorite obscure feature may not work 100%.
NC3Z

Postby NC3Z » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:41 pm

Just weighing if I want to make the jump. Is PS still best at 192Khz with the new combo?
Gary NC3Z
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:54 pm

Yes, PS is still optimized for 192KHz. However, I've been running 768KHz and have been very pleased with the level of performance I've been getting.

Return to “Thetis”