Thetis performance reports?

TI4/N0URE

Thetis performance reports?

Postby TI4/N0URE » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:20 pm

I am contemplating testing 100D firmware 5.11 and Thetis v 2.3.11.
Any with good/bad reports of new features?

John
TI4/N0URE
w-u-2-o

Re: Thetis performance reports?

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:05 pm

John,

I think you mean Angelia_NP_11.5.rbf for the firmware, correct?

If your radio runs OK with the firmware, then Thetis is working quite well. You can try running higher sample rates with PureSignal. There is also the new wideband display (Alex needs to be off/manual), the Path Indicator display, and spotting in the panadapter. For me, VAC audio is also smoother, although I have not yet tried. PSDR 3.3.15.

In other words, Thetis is in pretty good shape. It's really more about whether the firmware makes timing on your particular radio right now.

Scott
FM5GB

Postby FM5GB » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:28 pm

Hi John & Scott,

I experimented recently with Thetis v 2.3.11.0 & FW v1.1 for Orion.
I did not test it extensively but I could get quite an idea about this setup.

1- FW v1.1 is much more stable on my system than v0.7 was. I could'nt get it to hang. :)
2- Computer load is much LESS under Thetis unless you engage Pure Signal :|
3- Pure Signal does not work at all with my setup :(
4- The demodulated audio seems to have a problem : it is not audibly noticeable. But in
digital modes it becomes obvious.
I tried it in JT 65 with HB9HQX software : with PowerSDR mrX v3.3.15 TWICE as many calls
are decoded in comparison with Thetis. When calling or answering I was not heard with Thetis
using the same power and antenna than under v3.3.15 (this is also confirmed when watching
the maps in pskreporter.info). :?:

Any idea ?

73, Phil
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:19 pm

Phil,

You have to appreciate that the firmware is early beta, at best. Therefore there will be many problems. The biggest challenge currently appears to be obtaining a build that makes timing reliably on everyone's hardware. Right now you could probably put the same firmware on three different radios and get three different sets of results. There also appears to be some temperature sensitivity as well, so again the timing is probably marginal.

Certainly some patience is needed. With the 8000 product launch the priority was obviously on making sure the old protocol firmware was 100% reliable on that radio, first. Now that 8000's are shipping focus will surely shift back to new protocol development. So be prepared to try some more new code soon!

73!

Scott
TI4/N0URE

Postby TI4/N0URE » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:05 am

Scott, Phil,

Thank you for that information Yes, I have down loaded Angelia 11.5 rbf.
Family activities have kept me out of the shack for the past too months.
I had incorrectly assumed that the new 8000 radio was released with the new protocol and Thetis.
I will try to learn how FW v1.1 for the Orion relates to Angelia Fw v 11.5.
I use my ANAN exclusively for digital modes so I will wait to hear from others that the RX audio demodulation issues
you reported are resolved. I did not hear any mention of audio issues on the last two TeamSpeak sessions.
Pure Signal is not an issue for me as I only use digital modes. I never go near the full power level necessary for PS continuous calibration.
Holding for good news.
John
kd8tut

Postby kd8tut » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:50 am

TI4/N0URE wrote:I am contemplating testing 100D firmware 5.11 and Thetis v 2.3.11.
Any with good/bad reports of new features?

John
TI4/N0URE

Hi John,

You're definitely in pre-beta territory with Thetis/NP firmware. It's an interesting exploration and the future is remarkably bright.

Though I'm not sure an everyday use scenario will work out.

I made a video of the NP firware/Thetis here (It's not very indepth and some points are missed):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bjw5aiWlZ0
FM5GB

Postby FM5GB » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:38 pm

Hi Scott,

Please dont misundertand me; I'm not complaining.
I'm just reporting in order to help the software developers to identify problems.
My post was intended to move others to test digital modes on their system under
Thetis and NP firmware to see if the issue occurs on different setups.
Of course I'm aware of the long demanding task for the guys who write the code.
I believe the more of us test and report about NP & Thetis the faster the community
gets to the goal of a stable system.

73s

Phil FM5GB :roll:

w-u-2-o wrote:Phil,

You have to appreciate that the firmware is early beta, at best. Therefore there will be many problems. The biggest challenge currently appears to be obtaining a build that makes timing reliably on everyone's hardware. Right now you could probably put the same firmware on three different radios and get three different sets of results. There also appears to be some temperature sensitivity as well, so again the timing is probably marginal.

Certainly some patience is needed. With the 8000 product launch the priority was obviously on making sure the old protocol firmware was 100% reliable on that radio, first. Now that 8000's are shipping focus will surely shift back to new protocol development. So be prepared to try some more new code soon!

73!

Scott
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:38 pm

No problem, Phil! :D

Being a new software and new firmware crash test dummy is fun, isn't it? It better be, because I do it a lot! :lol:

73!

Scott
liam

Postby liam » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:06 am

HI set up Thetis beta on a 3YO Anan 100d it worked fine for a while 30 MINS but then seemed to loose the
ethernet connection I tried but could not recover it It was a direct No router link however no joy

I used J17 and bootloader to reinstall 5.8 with OPSDR and all is fine Is may be the beta is to buggy for
my Anan so I will wait till it gets a bit more stable Thanks for the great work

Liam
liam

Postby liam » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:07 am

hi tried again with the latest firmware and same problem no discovery after about 30 mins This
time though got a flashing red signal on oPSDR showing SIG30 and the less than or equal to sign
My Anan one of the older 100Ds that could be part of the problem,

Thanks for the work

liam EI3GC
Onnosr

Postby Onnosr » Sun May 21, 2017 2:15 pm

Hi

I tested 3.3.17 and 2.4 beta on Anan 200d rev 24

Both run stable.

BUT :: Puresignal gives with 3.3.17 < 50 db imd suppression and 2.4 only > 40 db

setPk in 3.17 is 0.4072 and in 2.4 0.2899 ????

Onno PA0ONO

Return to “Thetis”