Seq Errors Explained

w-u-2-o

Seq Errors Explained

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed May 08, 2019 1:03 pm

"Seq" errors are shown when a packets are missing from the UDP packet stream coming FROM the hardware TO the PC. Packets associated with each DDC stream and mic stream are given sequential packet numbers, hence the "Seq" designation. Different Seq error codes are assigned to each stream. Seeing these occasionally has not proven to result in audible artifacts. However, when things are going badly wrong (elevated noise floor of doom, and other typical failure modes) you can probably expect to see Seq errors!

Originally it was thought that the encoding of Seq error indications would have some value, and initially it did, but their value is now somewhat limited because now they are caused by global timing closure problems rather than specific problems in a specific area of the code.

Right out of the source code, here is the Seq error "decoder ring":

image001.jpg
image001.jpg (24.54 KiB) Viewed 893 times

The error codes are additive. For example, if there are Seq errors the DDC1 and DDC2 streams then you will see a Seq error code of 12.

Scott
artcomm

Re: Seq Errors Explained

Postby artcomm » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:22 pm

Hello Scott, lately with Thetis 2.6.7 w/pro2 v1.9 the only Seq errors I experience is =8 & =40 on receive and notice white noise pop's from my headphone or speakers when the errors start flashing... I'll power down the 7K MII non-pc, reboot the PC and 5 to 10 mins it's starts again.. Any thoughts on these Seq Errors..

Thank you,
Art
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:47 pm

Art,

It is possible that as the radio heats up the timing of the FPGA changes. Has it been warmer in your shack now that summer is upon us?

Scott
artcomm

Postby artcomm » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:14 pm

Hello Scott, thank you for your fast response. Very interesting about a potential heat problem, my room is usually cool at 72 with the AC on all time. When using Mrx PSDR or the Console V3 after shuffling firmware's for testing of course we don’t see Seq Error reporting, but I never get that white noise or popping effects on receive.. Only with Thetis with prior or latest firmware.. So I’m confused if this is a hardware (heat) or software/firmware issue...
Last edited by artcomm on Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:02 pm

Seq errors are not reported by PowerSDR (as far as I know) or SDR Console, so you won't see them there even if they exist.
artcomm

Postby artcomm » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:22 pm

Exactly Scott, the rub is... I don’t hear the white noise pops when using the other software.. Only happens with Thetis.. Is this something that is being addressed? I read some post with other users with Thetis and Sequence Errors =8 =40 and white noise when the errors appear...

Thank you
Art
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:00 pm

Art,

See this topic:

https://apache-labs.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2952

I'm guessing that the problem is blocked process threads when running Thetis.

Scott
artcomm

Postby artcomm » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:36 pm

Hi Scott, thank you for your insight with my questions.. Seem's like after flashing the latest Pro2 v2.0 (Pre-2) firmware and complete uninstall of Thetis via Rev-uninstall and also after clean install and reset the database to start from scratch, the last two day's have been Joy. Not one Error Code and also like to report that pure signal has been flawless..

Take care,
Art N4QNT :D

Return to “Thetis”