Audio popping on strong SSB signal

dieseldawg

Audio popping on strong SSB signal

Postby dieseldawg » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:39 am

Thetis with Protocol 2 develops popping on receive audio after running for a while. Usually happens on strong SSB signal. If Thetis is powered off then back on, popping is gone. Anyone explain this or offer a solution?

Greg
N8MW
w-u-2-o

Re: Audio popping on strong SSB signal

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:25 pm

Are you using VAC for receive audio, or do you have speakers plugged into the ANAN?
dieseldawg

Postby dieseldawg » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:04 pm

Speaker plugged in front jack.
SA3ATF

Postby SA3ATF » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:18 pm

It sounds like you are running VAC and that there will be hiccups there, but it should not be affected by the signal strength.
How do you get the sound between radio, computer and back?
I don’t suffer from insanity, I enjoy every second of it!
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:25 pm

He's not running VAC.
dieseldawg

Postby dieseldawg » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:08 pm

Scott, seems like some sort of memory cache is filling up because it corrects if i just power down Thetis, then power up. I have an Nvidia card and am using directx, so doesn't seem like computing power limitation. I am running 32 bit version.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat May 01, 2021 1:35 pm

OK, so not a VAC problem. Clearly Thetis is not keeping up, but I don't think it is Thetis' fault, so this is probably not a Thetis topic per se, but really a topic about PC real-time audio performance.

Our old thread on this subject is getting badly out of date. I'm probably going to have to write a new one for Thetis. However, very briefly, the vast majority of these problems is caused by Thetis real-time threads getting blocked by the Windows scheduler. Here's a laundry list of things to check, most of which you are probably already doing:

1. Get the LatencyMon tool. If it says you have problems then you need to sort those out.
2. Run 64 bit Thetis.
3. In Thetis run DirectX display mode with VSync turned on.
4. Turn down your Thetis main display refresh rate until you no longer see a red square flashing at the top left of the panadapter.
5. Do not run other apps at the same time. Browsers, particularly Chrome, are often the worst offenders.
6. Alternatively, use a tool like Prio to set process priority high or very high on Thetis and as low as you can get on things like Chrome (I do this and it works wonderfully).
7. Get a faster computer. Thetis likes more cores and is not as sensitive to CPU speed. People with 8 core machines generally report Thetis CPU consumption in the 7 to 8% range.

It could be some sort of networking problem but that is extremely rare.
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Sat May 01, 2021 4:53 pm

dieseldawg wrote:Thetis with Protocol 2 develops popping on receive audio after running for a while. Usually happens on strong SSB signal. If Thetis is powered off then back on, popping is gone. Anyone explain this or offer a solution?

Greg
N8MW

Very recently I had this same or very similar problem. I would start Thetis. As time past the audio would begin this popping an crackling noise. The more time past the worse it would get. There were no buffer overflows or underflows. There were no sequential errors. If I stopped and restarted Thetis the problem would be gone, but then start again after a while. Thinking it was a VAC issue I tried different settings. Nothing I tried seemed to help.

During my troubleshooting of the "noise burst after initial transmit" issue (another thread), I had went though my PC hardware. I removed , reseated and retightened everything on the motherboard. This included removing my Sound Blaster sound card. I also uninstalled all software and drivers related to the Sound Blaster card. I rebooted and ran the sound in Thetis through the motherboard sound card. I heard no distorted sound. I then reinstalled the Sound Blaster card along with its associated software and drivers. Since I have put all this back to normal the popping and crackling has not recurred. It seems I solved one issue while working on another.

I don't know if this is anything like you are experiencing Greg, but maybe something here might help. I hope I'm clear here. Many days went into trying to solve this other issue. This is point at which I noticed the distorted sound was gone.
Ruben
NB4R

Return to “Thetis”