Thetis and CW Skimmer

Helmut

Re: Thetis and CW Skimmer

Postby Helmut » Sun May 17, 2020 2:47 am

Hi Rafael, yes that looks how it should be - clear Skimmer without artifacts :)

Now let´s try to find my problem with comparing versions:

my setup is on a 7000dleMk2

Windows 10/64 pro 1909 with last updates, PC is I7-6700K with Intel Grafics 530 (included in Prozessor) no separate Grafic card

Thetis 2.7.0 a3 (as you have now) with DirektX mode in -Display- selected tested also in GDI mode but no change with artifacts

Firmware Protocol_2_v2.0b.rbf the latest version from (viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3192)

CWSkimmer Version 2.1 with license

for CAT also using VSPE from Etherlogics with license and with Omnirig 1.18

Virtual Audio Cable from E. Muzychenko Version 4.62 tested today as Trial but no change to my artifacts

Would you please check the differences in our versions ?

Thank you, Rafael, for your patience with me ! :!:

best 73 from Germany
Helmut dl9eri / oe9eri
NN3RP

Postby NN3RP » Sun May 17, 2020 6:53 pm

Helmut, we have practically the same setup My Anan 7000dle MKII is the newest version with the PC incorporated. CW skimmer is the same version. Thetis and Firmware is the same. Same VSPE (paid). OmniRig is a bit different version as I have 1.16 but I doubt this will make a difference. My VAC is version 4.15.

If you are willing, I volunteer to review your settings via remote access. It is better to see what you are seeing. Since we are now teleworking, I have plenty of time (don't tell them). Do you have Internet remote software, i.e. Zoom, ChromeRemote, TeamViewer?

Rafael / NN3RP
Nation's Capital USA
Helmut

Postby Helmut » Sun May 17, 2020 7:21 pm

Hi Rafael,

thank you for your kind help. I see you have the PC-Version of the MK2 - I have it without but the same solid case.

Nex I will check the Ethernet connection between my I7-PC - and the MK2. May be there is the stream problem.

Will report here next week.

Best 73
Helmut
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun May 17, 2020 8:56 pm

Don't look for Zebras (e.g. network problems) when horses will do. This is almost certainly an audio setup problem (and the audio doesn't flow over the network, only between Thetis and Skimmer).

Post screenshots of the following:

Thetis VAC1 screen
Muzy VAC control panel
The Windows sound control panel Advanced Tab for each Muzy VAC device
Skimmer setup screen

You can attach the screenshots to your post and mark them to display "inline" using the Attachments tab below the main forum editor window when writing your post.
Helmut

Postby Helmut » Mon May 18, 2020 11:44 am

Hi Rafael and Scott,

Rafael, you use Version 4.15 of Virtual Audio Cable, and that makes the difference.

I searched today for 4.15 but could only find 4.14 on the web. Installed the 4.14 and the CW lines where clean as yours with 4.15, but abt all 20seconds was an short interruption - so 4.14 is not to be recommended. !

If you would install 4.62 - you should have the same artifacts as me - and seen on SM7SJR : https://www.sm7sjr.se/?page_id=1734

So for me it is now clear, that it depends on Muzychenkos VAC Version- at least from my 4.60 to 4.62 these artifacts are present.

Rafael, if you would like to test it - you have to make an IMAGE of your drive - to restore it later - i do so with Acronis True Image when testing versions or new software.

Best 73
Helmut dl9eri / oe9eri
NN3RP

Postby NN3RP » Mon May 18, 2020 1:16 pm

Helmut, you might want to open a support case:

https://vac.muzychenko.net/en/support.htm

I am sorry but I cannot do run a test on my working system. I could try on another system that has the exact same software with the newest version of VAC. I will post when I am done.
Rafael / NN3RP
Nation's Capital USA
Helmut

Postby Helmut » Mon May 18, 2020 1:46 pm

Rafael,

I did write to the support of VACable and will report if I get answer.
Attached him the link for this thread.

73 Helmut
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon May 18, 2020 2:48 pm

Helmut,

Have you considered using Voicemeeter Potato (VMP) instead of Muzy VAC? VMP is free. Both app's can be installed simultaneously without interfering with each other.

VMP acts as a virtual mixing console. You have full control over levels with full audio level metering. There is a separate VMP topic in the forum here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2936

Scott
Helmut

Postby Helmut » Mon May 18, 2020 4:01 pm

This ist the answer to Virtual Audio Cable :

Hello, Helmut,

> We found, that with VACable Version 4.15 the Datastream to the CWSkimmer
> (CW-Decoder Program) is clear and undistorted,
> with my 4.60 and also tested 4.62 Trial there are heavy artifacts on the
> CWSkimmer Waterfall.

Since I'm not familiar with radio signal decoding technologies and
software, it's difficult for me to analyze audio issues based on the
waterfall image. Is is possible for you to hear the signal in parallel
to explain how these artifacts sound like (pauses, clicks/pops, tones,
distortions etc.)?

If you are testing trial versions, please don't forget about voice
reminders. To get 30-minute reminder-free period, restart VAC driver
immediately before launching audio applications involved in the test.

Do the artifacts occur in arbitrary moments, or are associated with
some operations/events?

With best regards,
Eugene

@ Scott: I have VMB in use but do you think VMP can have an IQ-Datastream ? Normal Audio streams for CWSKimmer are only 3 KHz for decoding, on IQ-streams you can decode all CW in the whole CW-portion of our bands - that is what I am looking for....
Helmut

Postby Helmut » Tue May 19, 2020 10:42 am

One step further today:

in Thetis VAC1 MME and not WDM/KS
with VACable 4.60 (my payed version)
in CWSkimmer MME and not WDM/KS

Only vy strong stations have a bit artifacts, but the dynamik-range of the IQ-stream is much better. The straight-line is still visible.

I have Omnirig TS-2000 running, frequencie in the Skimmer window on top and on Anan are the same, but the waterfall is out of control
and i could not get it to show the stn on the green filter-window by ranging in minus and plus in the Skimmer Audio freq window (-600 or +600 no change).
So it looks today with MME and IQ (I was not aware, that MME has also IQ - i always see all others using WDM):

MME and V 4.60 VACable.JPG
MME and V 4.60 VACable.JPG (172.57 KiB) Viewed 121 times

Best 73
Helmut
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue May 19, 2020 11:13 am

Helmut wrote:Scott: I have VMB in use but do you think VMP can have an IQ-Datastream ? Normal Audio streams for CWSKimmer are only 3 KHz for decoding, on IQ-streams you can decode all CW in the whole CW-portion of our bands - that is what I am looking for....
I've never done it personally. My trial ran out on Skimmer before I could. And since I'm not really a CW operator and was just looking at it for other people I never bought a license.

However, Conrad, PA5Y did get IQ to work at 96KHz with VMP. There is a lengthy topic here. There's no reason, therefore, that it shouldn't work at 192KHz.

Also, when I was working with Skimmer I did not have to use Omnirig to communicate with it. I was able to simply connect it directly to PowerSDR (or Thetis) with a virtual serial port pair.

Scott

Return to “Thetis”