no pihpsdr icon on G2

KI4P

no pihpsdr icon on G2

Postby KI4P » Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:06 pm

received my G2 with no front panel, hooked up a monitor and keyboard and mouse, came right up, no pihpsdr icon on screen, only place i can find anything about it was in programs, i think, anyway clicked and got error message, seems i read somewhere how to type a command line to get that installed, can someone point me to it or any help appreciated.
Rick
Richard - KI4P
w-u-2-o

Re: no pihpsdr icon on G2

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:19 pm

My understanding is that the non-front panel units were shipped with only the p2app preinstalled and set to run on boot. The assumption was that these units would be used with Thetis.

The user manual,

https://community.apache-labs.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2340

does not cover installation of piHPSDR. Read carefullly, the user manual implies that the N1GP version of piHPSDR is necessary.

https://github.com/n1gp/pihpsdr/tree/master

If you look at the bottom of that page it discusses where to find instructions to build and install it (on any Linux machine, including a G2).
KI4P

Postby KI4P » Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:53 pm

Well, if you didn't have to use that to change the mic input I wouldn't need it either. But if you have to flash PI for update or revision you still need it.
Richard - KI4P
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:02 pm

Scott,
Section 3.4 of the manual makes it sound like if you connect a monitor , mouse and keyboard to the radio it should boot up a Linux OS screen ( probably Raspbian) and double click on an icon on the desktop to start PiHPSDR. It also states that p2app automatically loads for connecting to Thetis over the network as well.
James
WD5GWY
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:10 pm

It's likely there are many things in the manual that probably need revision or updates based on the configurations Apache is actually shipping.

I believe Laurence is the author of the manual.
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:41 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:It's likely there are many things in the manual that probably need revision or updates based on the configurations Apache is actually shipping.

I believe Laurence is the author of the manual.

As I understand it, Laurance did write the manual. In an earlier section of the manual it does state that the user only needs to attach a monitor, keyboard and mouse to "operate in full standalone mode". And that there is a shortcut on the desktop that you can double click to start PiHPSDR in the CM4 module. P2app loads on startup and Thetis can connect to the radio over the network. But, currently, PiHPSDR cannot be running at the same time.
Lots of new things to learn about these new radios!
James
WD5GWY
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:45 pm

I forgot to mention, that several people on the Apache Labs Facebook page have received their new radios. Some with the front panel and a couple without it. One with the front panel was DOA. Others seem to be working fine. Just having to learn to navigate the Linux desktop and PiHPSDR.
James
WD5GWY
laurencebarker

Postby laurencebarker » Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:56 pm

I have written the manual based on my understanding of what software would be loaded when. It seems I didn't ask "is there a desktop icon for piHPSDR" and apparently there isn't. I haven't seen a factory spec radio so it's hard for me to know that snippet.

I did also add to a recent update to the manual how to recreate the desktop icon

7.4.2 Icon for piHPSDR
1. Open a file editor. Your Raspberry pi will have several, and an editor called “geany” can be loaded from the programming menu.
2. Enter (or paste) the text below into your editor window
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Name[eb_GB]=piHPSDR
Exec=/home/pi/github/pihpsdr/pihpsdr
Icon=/home/pi/pihpsdr/hpsdr_icon.png
Name=piHPSDR

3. Use "save as" to save it to your desktop with filename p2app.desktop
4. Using your file browser, open your /home/pi/Desktop folder
5. Select file p2app.desktop (may shows as p2app with no extension)
6. Right click and select properties
7. Select the Permissions tab
a. Set View Content: to Anyone
b. Set Change content: to Only owner
c. Set Execute: to Anyone
8. Press OK

If you have a radio with NO front panel: I'm told that p2app loads automatically. There will be no visible indication; but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. The acid test is to see if a process is running.

plug in a display, mouse and keyboard and type ps -ax | grep p2app
on my prototype I get a response like this, telling me that ./p2app is process number 741 (the exact number will vary from run to run)
741 ? Sl 30.00 ./p2app
Laurence Barker G8NJJ
laurencebarker

Postby laurencebarker » Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:58 pm

You can also run pihpsdr from a command line:

cd github/n1gp/pihpsdr
./pihpsdr
Laurence Barker G8NJJ
KI4P

Postby KI4P » Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:19 am

laurencebarker wrote:You can also run pihpsdr from a command line:

cd github/n1gp/pihpsdr
./pihpsdr

thank you! that is what im hunting, i think.
at least mine didnt have the pihpsdr icon,
Rick
Richard - KI4P
KI4P

Postby KI4P » Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:52 am

Trucker wrote:I forgot to mention, that several people on the Apache Labs Facebook page have received their new radios. Some with the front panel and a couple without it. One with the front panel was DOA. Others seem to be working fine. Just having to learn to navigate the Linux desktop and PiHPSDR.
James
WD5GWY

I wasn't going to mention it, but my G2 no front is kinda DOA. got it to come on and usable for about 15 minutes, unit comes on but no receive period, and high swr. Got it to come on once and work, actually talked on it. Turned off, came in last night and never came up at all. In contact with Apache. We'll see.
Richard - KI4P
wevets@gmail.com

Postby wevets@gmail.com » Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:45 pm

KI4P wrote:
Trucker wrote:I forgot to mention, that several people on the Apache Labs Facebook page have received their new radios. Some with the front panel and a couple without it. One with the front panel was DOA. Others seem to be working fine. Just having to learn to navigate the Linux desktop and PiHPSDR.
James
WD5GWY

I wasn't going to mention it, but my G2 no front is kinda DOA. got it to come on and usable for about 15 minutes, unit comes on but no receive period, and high swr. Got it to come on once and work, actually talked on it. Turned off, came in last night and never came up at all. In contact with Apache. We'll see.

So- maybe the radio hardware is locked up? With my Andromeda (and Red pitaya too!) Sometimes if things are talking - and I restart the GUI - the Hardware doesn't resynch - but rather says its busy. This is solved by really powering down everything, i.e. halt Raspian, then do a real power cycle - the power button should be sufficient.

So what exactly won't start would be a good first question. Does PiHPSDR find the radio - or are you stuck with it saying the radio is busy as implied above? Also - the current version of PiHPSDR might be different from what I'm familiar with, i.e. does it come up and give you a chance to chose the radio - or does it just boot straight into the GUI? Do you see the Raspian screen? Can you start a terminal on that?

Steve KA6S
KI4P

Postby KI4P » Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:44 am

When you start radio it comes up with screen, I'm trying to start pihpsdr but the icon is greyed out. I understand since its a no screen model you have to kill the p2app that's running by default. I'm not a pi guy so I don't understand the command to kill the p2app running and starting pihpsdr. That way I could at least eleminate the PC and related hardware.
Thanks
Richard

So what exactly won't start would be a good first question. Does PiHPSDR find the radio - or are you stuck with it saying the radio is busy as implied above? Also - the current version of PiHPSDR might be different from what I'm familiar with, i.e. does it come up and give you a chance to chose the radio - or does it just boot straight into the GUI? Do you see the Raspian screen? Can you start a terminal on that?

Steve KA6S[/quote]
Richard - KI4P

Return to “piHPSDR”