PiHPSDR Controller

KL4QG

PiHPSDR Controller

Postby KL4QG » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:49 pm

I been Ham from 1985 but dumbest on SDR

PiHPSDR Controller ???what do I need buy to plug and talk SSB -cables???? ,I have Heil PR-781 MIC and Ten Tec Amplifier.

I'm buying a good used 100 or 200 Alan or recondition 7000

I not calling India asking questions

I do not own a computer can borrow one- but PiHPSDR Controller and 100-200 or 7000 is way I want go now.
w-u-2-o

Re: PiHPSDR Controller

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:01 am

The piHPSDR controller IS a computer, albeit a small one. It runs a variant of the Linux operating system called Raspian. It is just as complex to setup and maintain as a PC. IMHO, there is no advantage to it in this respect.

The piHPSDR controller provides only a subset of the capabilities available in the more common and widespread PowerSDR mRX PS software that runs on Windows PCs, and further development on it has appeared to have stopped.

My recommendation to you is to find a local Elmer who can hold your hand through both the Windows computer and SDR learning curves. If you have internet service at your home you can also get someone to Elmer you by remotely connecting to your PC and showing you the ropes while they chat with you on the phone.

As for cables there is no difference between using a piHPSDR controller or a PC. An appropriately wired microphone and speakers/headphones are connected to the radio hardware unit, and an Etherent cable goes between the controller (pi or PC) and the radio hardware unit. Plus the normal RF, PTT and power cables, of course.

Scott
KL4QG

Postby KL4QG » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:37 pm

I have no internet to marina in Sitka Island AK and only 3 HF operators in town none own computers

I can tatter Wi-Fi from my Cell phone AT&T carrier to a laptop if that good enough internet to run 100 OR 7000 ,

Thank u for your input,
w5rcq

Postby w5rcq » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:04 pm

I do not own a Pihpsdr console but I have put together a RaspberryPi 3B and a 7" moitor with a keyboard and a mouse that runs the Pihpsdr software. With my setup I have been running all of the versions of Pihpsdr as they have appeared with my Anan 200D. As you have described your background and situation I think that the Pihpsdr will present more of a challenge than you will want to deal with. The software has a number of known problems and the Raspberry Pi is marginal in its ability to run the Pihpsdr software. The Anan radios are really great radios with many advantages over the older non sdr type radios but in my case I found a steep learning curve and I have a background in computers. My advice is to get a computer with an Microsoft i-5 processor, at least 8 Gbs of memory, a sdr hard drive and Windows 7 or 10, If all of this sounds like more than you are up for maybe you should consider a Icom 7300. Good luck which ever way you decide to go.
73 JUerry W5RCQ
KL4QG

Postby KL4QG » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:08 pm

I have yaesu ft991a and Ic 7300 selling soon-

I wanted anan 100 or 7000 for wonderful NB NR NF :) I live in marina only radio that can remove 50% OF the noise ON 40/80 METERS so far is icom-7610 and when my friend sailed into Sitka marina his Anan 7000 completely was useable on 80/40 meters it removed S8 noise to 1 ,as icom 7610 did good job but still had 4 s units noise and anan 7000 sounded sweet broadcast sound to ear- on 80 meters :o were icom 7610 sounded digital :? :? :? ,,,

I am old but teachable I will just fly to Seattle and learn from my friend and his wife with their anan 7000 he using a Tough Book 31 up graded windows 10 ,i.5
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:35 pm

KL4QG wrote:I am old but teachable I will just fly to Seattle and learn from my friend and his wife with their anan 7000
That sounds like an excellent idea. I'd even suggest you bring your radio and the laptop you plan to use and get them all set up and working 100% on that trip, then just bring them back ready to go.
KL4QG

Postby KL4QG » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:45 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:
KL4QG wrote:I am old but teachable I will just fly to Seattle and learn from my friend and his wife with their anan 7000
That sounds like an excellent idea. I'd even suggest you bring your radio and the laptop you plan to use and get them all set up and working 100% on that trip, then just bring them back ready to go.

agree

Return to “piHPSDR”