Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard Sluggish

w9ac

Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard Sluggish

Postby w9ac » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:17 am

I'm using my Apache PiHPSDR with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. After 1-2 seconds of inactivity, it always takes another couple seconds for Bluetooth to wake up. I have to repeatedly move the mouse to get a response. Same with the Bluetooth keyboard. Clues?

Paul, W9AC
w9ac

Re: Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard Sluggish

Postby w9ac » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:52 am

Fixed the Bluetooth mouse with this command placed at the end of /boot/cmdline.txt file:

usbhid.mousepoll=0

However, the keyboard suffers from the same problem after a period of inactivity and I don't see a fix for it.

Paul, W9AC
w9ac

Postby w9ac » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:12 am

Turns out that RaspberryPi does not work well with Bluetooth and WiFi with both simultaneously engaged. So, the solution at the moment is to only enable WiFi when needing Internet access (e.g., file downloads). Then disable WiFi for normal operation as an Ethernet cable is used between PiHPSDR and the ANAN transceiver.

Paul, W9AC
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:33 am

Here's an idea for you (I haven't tried it myself): get a separate Wi-Fi USB stick and configure the on board wireless to be dedicated to Bluetooth.
w9ac

Postby w9ac » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:59 pm

Good suggestion, Scott. I'll order one and give it a try.

Paul, W9AC
w9ac

Postby w9ac » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:37 am

Scott,

I can confirm the external WiFi USB stick is a good solution. I purchased a TP-LINK WN725N Wireless N Nano USB Adapter, Price was about USD $10. It's a tiny USB plug with a very low profile.

When the TP-LINK device is inserted in the pihpsdr's USB port, a second WiFi port is created and is named wlan1. This is in addition to wlan0, the native WiFi adapter. The new device is immediately recognized by the O/S. It's necessary to force a disconnect on the current WiFi connection. wlan0 should now show a WiFi disconnect status.

Next, highlight wlan1 and select the WiFi access point of choice and enter the password key. A green check mark should now show that wlan1 is connected.

TP-LINK comes with a CD-ROM setup disk with Windows and iOS setups. I was initially afraid that the setup CD would be needed but even if I could access the CD-ROM from another PC on the network, it wouldn't run on the pi O/S. The good news is the setup CD is not needed. Just plug in the TP-LINK and go.

Now, I can simultaneously use Bluetooth and WiFi with no Bluetooth keyboard stuttering, nor annoying time delays. All devices now operate fast and fluid with the pihpsdr.

Paul, W9AC
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:27 am

Great news! :)

Personally, I feel that using a mouse and keyboard with a Pi defeats the purpose of the appliance-like form factor. Once you've got the Pi so encumbered you might as well be using a small Windows laptop. And if you are using a small Windows laptop then you might as well use PowerSDR so that you can enjoy the full power of the radio.

73!

Scott
w9ac

Postby w9ac » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:22 pm

The primary benefit is when the openHPSDR program isn't running. IOW, during file upgrades and other system maintenance. Before, I couldn't access the internet to download a file AND run the Bluetooth devices without the stuttering problem. I had to disable WiFi for the Bluetooth devices to operate smoothly.

Paul, W9AC
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:46 pm

Gotcha, maintenance only, that makes sense :)

I couldn't be bothered to provision a keyboard and mouse for my homebrew Pi controller. I maintain it by using MobaXterm and VNC. That way wherever it is in the house I don't even have to find it, move it or sit down in front of it. Plus I have my triple screen main PC as a work surface, much nicer than trying to do maintenance using the 7" touch screen display.

I particularly like MobaXterm. I can have as many SSH shell windows open as I want, and if I launch something that uses X like Leafpad (the graphical editor in Raspian) it pops up on my PC.

My Pi controller:

More here: http://wu2o.dyndns.org/wu2o_pi_4.html. Haven't quite reached the vision yet (no batteries, WiFi not stable enough for radio work, no PureSignal).

73!

Scott
n9vv

Postby n9vv » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:52 pm

Been using a cheap ($24) Logitech mini kbd with touch pad model K400+ and K400r on my pihpsdr-Controller with no problems. Love to have that small footprint near display. Pix attached.
N9VV-pihpsdr-Controller.jpg
N9VV-pihpsdr-Controller.jpg (153.55 KiB) Viewed 11700 times

73 de Ken N-9-V-V
73 de Ken N9VV

Return to “piHPSDR”