Reset switch

w5rcq

Reset switch

Postby w5rcq » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:27 pm

I am running piHPSDR without knobs or switches, just using the mouse to control things. When shutting down the system from the menu, you have to remove power to get piHPSDR back up. However there is a hardware reset that will reboot the system without powering down. On the Raspberry Pi3 there are 2 holes next to the mounting hole at the end of the GPIO 40 pin header. The 2 holes are labeled RUN. I mounted a 2 pin header in these holes and wired a push button switch to the 2 pin header. Shorting the 2 wires from the header briefly will reboot the board, No more powering off to reboot. If you are using the Tinkerboard, there are 4 holes between the HDMI socket and the mini usb power plug. The 2 holes closest to the edge of the board are the reset header, the other 2 holes have something to do with audio volume. I didn't invent any of this just discovered it while reading about the two cards. Hope it is of some use,
73 W5RCQ
w-u-2-o

Re: Reset switch

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:11 am

Very interesting. I read, however, that it is no safer than pulling power, as it just jams the system into reset and does not shut down the operating system in an orderly fashion.

It is somewhat amazing that the Raspbian menu does not offer a reboot command. It would probably be safer to create a shutdown/reboot shell script and then create a desktop icon to run it. Please note that I've been way to lazy to do that myself ;)

Scott

Return to “piHPSDR”