I need some general information

rbduck

I need some general information

Postby rbduck » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:37 pm

I'm new to the Anan transceiver. The more I get into the software the more I think there are more things I need to be aware of in setting up the software. Yesterday I found that even though this a 100 watt output transmitter it can inadvertently be set up to transmit much more than 100 watts. What happened was I was setting up the maximum output on the PA setup screen. I was in 80 meters LSB with 1.01 SWR. On the PA screen I adjusted the value to what I thought would be 100 watts. I spoke into the microphone and it maxed out at 189 watts. I quickly changed the value and found where it would stay at 100 watts or below. Is this normal? Please correct me if I'm wrong. This was on a wattmeter that's inline after the amplifier. I've got a lot of reading to do yet. Thank you.
Ruben
NB4R
Apache-Labs Anan 7000DLE MKII Black -- Thetis 2.10.3.6 dev_2 -- Windows 11
w-u-2-o

Re: I need some general information

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:06 pm

The PA calibration values are definitely not in Watts. It claims to be gain in dB, but higher numbers result in lower output power. At any rate, adjust carefully, and make a screen shot of your settings in case you ever need to start with a fresh database.

See also: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2471&p=3040

Regarding the learning curve: it is steep with these radios. There are over 40 setup screens. The software changes too often for anyone to write a manual, and any manual would be a large book which is a challenge nobody has been willing to undertake. The existing documentation barely touches on the basics. Your best bet is to do extensive reading of this forum, especially the "tacked" topics which represent most of the frequency asked questions.
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:07 am

Ha! I like your last paragraph. That is the reason I bought this particular radio. I see the river is much deeper than I had presumed. That is not a bad thing either. I look forward to the learning curve. I wish I had more time to devote to it. I will in a few months. time. Thanks for the information and help Scott!
Ruben
NB4R
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:33 am

"The PA calibration values are definitely not in Watts. It claims to be gain in dB, but higher numbers result in lower output power. At any rate, adjust carefully, and make a screen shot of your settings in case you ever need to start with a fresh database."

Oh, the Watts I was referring to was not the software meter , but one I have in line. It was indicating almost 200 watts output at one point. Being the paranoid that I am I quickly adjusted so I was not seeing over 100 watts. I was just curious if these 100 watts radios will do almost 200 watts if misadjusted. Obviously they are. To me anyway.
Ruben
NB4R
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:05 pm

Ruben, I was referring to one of the 40 setup pages. Find the PA calibration page in the setup window. And read the link I posted.
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:24 pm

Oh...I see... Scott you are a wealth of information and I appreciate the help. I plan on reading a lot more before I go through anymore setup. Although I did get the sound set well using W1AEX's video. I'll try not to wear you out with questions about things I should be able to figure out myself. Again as I have previously said in another post, this is why I bought the 7000DLE mkII. I love the software/hardware learning curve. I've been working with computers since the first IBM's came out. I've been out of the programming side now for about 10 years. So much has changed that I feel as if I'm playing catch up. Just a few more months and I will start my 5th Career. Being retired.
Ruben
NB4R
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:20 pm

Ruben,

I recall that overwhelming feeling when my first ANAN arrived. It felt like I had been assigned a term paper to write without being told what the subject was. All the information I needed was de-centralized and scattered around multiple forums and websites. Fortunately, Scott has centralized it all here at this forum. Once you've gone through the process of setting everything up (hardware - network - software) you'll see that it's actually not that difficult to get things running smoothly. The rewards are all the available features and the outstanding performance of the hardware and software and they will be something you won't want to give up so you'll probably enjoy all the updates and the inevitable tinkering.

Stay with it!

73, Rob W1AEX
"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:13 pm

Thanks Rob. I'm actually having a blast even though it may not seem like it sometime. When I'm getting my bearings and if I can get topics in the correct forum section I'll sleep better at night. You and the other fellows a re very knowledgeable and I do appreciate your sharing it.
Ruben
NB4R

Return to “PowerSDR mRX”