Optimizing FFT as a meausure of computer speed

w5rcq

Optimizing FFT as a meausure of computer speed

Postby w5rcq » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:24 pm

I have been trying several different Windows computers with my 200D and I notice that running the Optimizing routine can take a very long time on lower powered computers. I am wondering if the time that the Optimizing routine takes would be a useful measure of that computers performance. As an example I recently bought a fairly high performance Lenovo laptop i7 processor, 16 Gb memory. 1060 video and an ssd drive. It has a Passmark of 4959. When running the Optimize routine it takes 8 min. I also have an other Lenovo laptop running an i5 2.6 Gb processor and 4 Gm memory with a Passmark of 1597, This laptop requires 20 minutes to run the Optimize program. I have also tried to use a small laptop with an Atom processor and it took several hours. The smaller laptop was not useful for running PowerSDR. All of these tests were run on my 200D using PowerSDR 3.4.9. I am looking for a computer that is small and portable, probably a laptop, to use with my 2000D outside of the ham shack that is reasonably priced maybe available refurbished. I am interested in any other thoughts about using the Optimizing routine as a real life performance measurement.
73 Jerry W5RCQ
w9mdb

Re: Optimizing FFT as a meausure of computer speed

Postby w9mdb » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:54 pm

i'm running an HP Envy 17T with an I7-4702MQ 2.2GHz and 16GB memory.
PowerSDR runs at < 10% (without PureSignal running...20% with PureSignal running)

The CPU cache size is a big indicator of how fast things run...more level 1 cache is better and more level 2 cache is better...and cache size is more important than just clock speed.

So it's all a matter of your budget. How big a screen do want...and get the best CPU you can afford.

de Mike W9MDB
Mike W9MDB
w5rcq

Re: Optimizing FFT as a meausure of computer speed

Postby w5rcq » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:24 pm

I guess the conclusion that I came to with the Optimizing routine is that if you are loading PowerSDR and it takes 30 minutes or more, the computer that you are using probably isn't going to be powerful enough.
73 Jerry W5RCQ

Return to “PowerSDR mRX”