Multiple Radios, Multiple Configurations

K4KV

Multiple Radios, Multiple Configurations

Postby K4KV » Wed May 30, 2018 5:39 pm

Hello,

Having trouble getting two different rigs, with two different programs to co-exist. I can run either version

and rig fine separately.

Anan 7000 with static IP ending in .73 running PSDR 3.4.9

Hermes/Alex with static IP ending in .76 running PSDR 3.4.7

When either rig is running and I start the other PSDR, it crashes the first one. If I, then, restart the

crashed program(now both are crashed)it switches to the wrong IP rig and starts running it.

Even though I have Use Static IP checked in both setups; even though I told the 3.4.9 program it is a 7000,
and the 3.4.7 program it is a Hermes.

I have also seen crashes when I turn VAC on or off with both rigs on.

The programs use separate data base files and such, not sure why they are ignoring the static IP

demand.

???

Glen K4KV

ps - I am trying to use one of these 'spare' Hermes with transverters to free up my 7000.
w-u-2-o

Re: sharing ETH

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed May 30, 2018 6:18 pm

I don't think that it is possible to do what you want to do given the limitations in the original communications protocol.

Although you can successfully SEND data independently from the PC to each radio, both radio hardware units will try to send data back to the PC on the same UDP ports on the same IP assigned to the PC. There is no way to tell both PowerSDR and the radio hardware to use alternate UDP ports. Even if you were to provision two NICs in your PC, PowerSDR only knows about the one that has the lower network metric setting. All instances of PowerSDR will try to use that same NIC, and therefore so will all radio hardware units. The resulting collision of data from both radios on that same UDP port will cause all kinds of havoc.

It may be possible to do this in Protocol 2, however so far there are no facilities in Thetis for adjusting the range of ports used.

Scott
K4KV

Postby K4KV » Wed May 30, 2018 9:30 pm

Scott,
Tnx fer the information. So, my only other alternative is to use another computer, or a piHDSDR I suppose. I guess the pi
is a realistic alternative for xvtr operation.

Glen K4KV
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:49 pm

The one thing you can do is maintain multiple, separate configurations for PowerSDR, one for each type of radio or radio configuration you have.

PowerSDR mRX PS allows a command line variable as follows:

-datapath:[path]

Add this to the command line (in a bat file, or as part of a shortcut) and have it point to the correct database for each radio or radio configuration.

Remember, you can only run a single instance of PowerSDR at a time, multiple radios at the same time using the same PC will not work.

Scott/w-u-2-o
KA1GXR

Re: Multiple Radios, Multiple Configurations

Postby KA1GXR » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:18 pm

One thing you can do: Run 1 radio on standard protocol HPSDR and 2nd radio on Thetis Protocol. I do this: 200d on firmware for Thetis installed and run on Thetis on same PC with 8000 running original protocol and firmware. This may stress the abilities of some PC hardware. Using I7 on16 gig ram 4 gig processor and older high end Nvidia graphics card. Your results may vary on Thetis but my 200D has behaved decently on it.

Tom
KA1GXR
F1HDI

Postby F1HDI » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:31 pm

HI Scott,

Having now two 100D with V2 (thus thetis) I wonder if it is possible to run them on the same computer.

I saw your post here which apply to powersdr, at least to store the two confs, does it work with Thetis ?

73 Jean-Marc
73 Jean-Marc F1HDI
w-u-2-o

Re: Multiple Radios, Multiple Configurations

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:18 pm

Jean-Marc,

Thetis also supports the -datapath command line variable.

As far as I know, it does not negotiate a different range of ports for each instance/radio (even though this is supported in Protocol 2), so one cannot run more than one instance of Thetis simultaneously on the same PC, however I have never tried it so I can't be 100% certain, only 99% ;)

You could use Hyper-V to run more than one virtual machine on your single PC.

Scott

Return to “PowerSDR mRX”