CW Mode Operation

A65BK

Re: CW Mode Operation

Postby A65BK » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:26 am

Hi Gary,

I had noticed open connection on U9-76 Pin.

How I can eliminate TX going to Off between words, while I sent CW ?? The PTT relay clicking between words is annoying. There will be some setting to avoid this ?? Please advise me.
73s

Rds,
Prem
K9RX

Postby K9RX » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:04 pm

Change the break in delay setting seen just below the APF window when in CW mode. Just be aware if it is too long you might miss the first element of someone replying to you! The relays CAN be annoying. They're not quiet that is for sure.

Gary
K9RX
Prem

Postby Prem » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:04 pm

Hi Gary,

After increasing delay to 360 ms, I could get rid of that issue.
One more thing to get clarified . I use VAC and listen to radio RX as well as MON signal thru VAC and so PC audio. But in CW mode , I think we get CW TX side tone only thru head phone jack on radio ?

What is function of “Semi break in “. ?
Also, if I need to connect external audio thru back side connector Line in pins ( left and right), how to connect mono audio from audio chain ..? Between L & R line in pins or to only any one channel ?

73s

Prem, A65BK
K9RX

Postby K9RX » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:19 am

Hi Prem,

Sounds like great progress is being made! Super job my friend.

As for your last questions - I'll let Scott or others answer these. CW might not lend itself to the use of VAC other than for CW Skimmer use. I believe I can say that MON will only work from the radio FPGA and won't work external to the radio (hardware) as delays would kill you running at higher speeds ... I often run near 35 WPM and I don't have any issues with the MON in the radio.

enjoy - Ma'a as-salamah!

Gary
A65BK

Postby A65BK » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:06 am

Hi Gary,

I keep my radio little away from my seat and monitor. So if I get usage of VAC audio was useful. Else I have to wire Radio audio to PC line in and use with VAC.
Request others who are using VAC and CW , share their experience.

73s

Prem
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:33 am

VAC works fine for CW, EXCEPT for sidetone. Sidetone is NOT available via VAC. If you require using VAC for audio, then you will have to use an external keyer with sidetone rather than the one built into PowerSDR.

If your radio is far away from the PC, you can even hook up a keyer to a serial port and key from the PC. But, still no sidetone, so that keyer needs to have a built in sidetone generator.

The only way to get sidetone out of the radio is to use the speaker, line out, or headphone connections on the radio.
A65BK

Postby A65BK » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:53 am

Hi Scott,
Good Day to You.

So I will take either line out or speaker out from Radio to PC , so that I can get side tone thru VMB and PC audio out.

Can you suggest me the external audio rack connection to Hermes accessory pins ?? As per schematic we have two Pins marked as Left and Right. Since out external audio from rack is mono, which Pins to connect ??

73s
Prem, A65BK
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:28 pm

Prem,

If you are going to bring line out into the PC, don't bother with VAC for RX, that's pointless. Just use the line out for both receive and sidetone. For that matter, if the radio is close enough to the PC to wire up audio, don't bother with bringing audio into the PC, just bring it out into a speaker!

As for left and right channels, I'd support both if possible. The radio has a lot of stereo audio functionality. You can listen to one passband on the left and another on the right. If you can't support both it is traditional to support the left channel.

Scott
A65BK

Postby A65BK » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:34 pm

Hi Scott,

So we have to connect external audio between Left/Right Pin and Ground ??
Ground will be our common line for L&R Line In ??

73s

Prem
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:44 pm

Ground is common for all signals. There are no balanced audio ports in the design.

Right Line In is not, as far as I know, used for anything.

Return to “PowerSDR mRX”