PowerSDR mRX PS 3.4.7 Released

w5wc

PowerSDR mRX PS 3.4.7 Released

Postby w5wc » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:49 pm

PowerSDR mRX PS 3.4.7 has been released. This release corrects the problem of the VFO Lock not properly locking both VFOA and VFOB. A separate control for adjustment of amplitude scaling during transmit was added this release.

OpenHPSDR-PowerSDR repository
https://github.com/TAPR/OpenHPSDR-PowerSDR

Direct download
https://github.com/TAPR/OpenHPSDR-PowerSDR/releases/download/v3.4.7/PowerSDR_mRX_PS_v3.4.7.0_Setup.msi
K9RX

Re: PowerSDR mRX PS 3.4.7 Released

Postby K9RX » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:24 pm

Hello Doug,

Saw your post today .... if I understand you’ve gone back to the way it was – LOCK locks BOTH VFO A and B? I had, a while back, asked to provide a separate lock for each VFO. I believe it makes no sense to lock BOTH of them! If one is using VFO B often it is because one is doing split/MultiRX ... you want to lock A because that is the station you’re trying to work and they are indeed fixed ... I want to be sure I don’t accidentally, using my MIDI panel for example and reaching for the wrong knob, change his frequency ... but VFO B is where I am transmitting and that can and will invariably change as I move around trying to find where he’s listening. So by making it ONE lock – locking both that feature becomes of no purpose. I can’t think of a reason why someone would want this functionality.... if there is one then adding a separate VFO A/B lock would still allow this but not preclude its use when split/MRX.

When you released either 5 or 6 and someone posted on the Yahoo group that “LOCK no longer locks B” I thought that was good and an intended step in the right direction at least ... maybe a LOCK (VFO B) would be added later ... but now it appears that is being treated as a mistake and now its back the way it was ... ?

Gary
K9RX
AB2EZ

Postby AB2EZ » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:43 pm

Doug

Thank you for the new release! In particular, thank you for the separate receive and transmit waterfall level settings.

Happy Holidays
Stu
AB2EZ
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:05 pm

Thank you for the 3.4.7 release Doug. It's all working fine here and the transmit panafall and waterfall are clean as a whistle!

Rob W1AEX
"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:52 pm

Fantastic! The TX waterfall scaling has been a loooooong time in coming! Many, many thanks to Loren, W6VH for these innovations :) :) :)

Scott

P.S. Gary--a bunch of people complained that B was not locking. I know I did. We all thought a bug crept in. There are lots of times you want both A and B locked. Indeed, I never even thought of the case you are concerned about. Sounds like the next innovation needs to be a multi-step locking process: unlocked, A locked, A&B locked. Best of both worlds and all that.
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:37 am

Thanks Doug , a nice Christmas gift.
K9RX

Postby K9RX » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:04 pm

Scott,

I'd love to hear why locking both A & B is needed - and I say that with all sincerity .... obviously I'm missing that ... but having independent ones allows the most flexibility without cumbersome multi-push functionality as I think you're suggesting. A cursory look at the major brands/radios shows dual locks or their equivalent (when they have 2 VFO's) ... some, Yaesu's, with independent buttons. As noted I'm not suggesting that locking both isn't needed - just that I'm not aware of how that would be used in practicality. I had thought moving the button to the VFO "BOX" and adding one in the same place for VFO B would be clean and intuitive. Maybe the same place as the "VFO A(B)" text only the far right equivalent in/above the box. Just a thought.

And just to be clear - I am very grateful as always for all the effort put in to the updates by Doug and the others... Fantastic and herculean task to get this done while having their own lives (i.e. not being paid to do it!).

Gary
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:27 pm

The most basic reason possible: working a split (a normal one, not one of those horrible "up 5 to 10" abortions that kills a huge chunk of the band) and you don't want to mess up either VFO A or VFO B.

I also used to say the same thing, "Let's just make a new button..." Unfortunately I am told that the UI is designed in a way that makes it extremely difficult to add or move buttons, so difficult that I don't think there's been a new button in, well, forever. Sure, the buttons change names and functions, sometimes they disappear or come back, but they are always the same buttons. So difficult that this is why we have strange things like a separate pop-up control panel for PureSignal, why PureSignal indicators live in the space at the bottom of spectral display, why there is no graphical UI for manual notch filters, etc., etc.
K9RX

Postby K9RX » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:17 pm

Ah - so a subset of my rationale ... and good to know about the interface. Indeed i can see with various skins available out there (and I DO take advantage of them - thanks to Rob, '1AEX and ... the IV3 (forgive me - not at the radio) ... that it would be involved to say the least. I'd guess this is one, possibly small but real nonetheless, reason why Flex went to non-public domain.

thanks Scott,

Gary
K9RX
K9RX

Postby K9RX » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:18 pm

Installed .7 this morning - indeed the TX changes/adds to the waterfall are superb! Thanks for that ... the best of the holiday season to the design team.

Gary
K9RX
W1JA

Postby W1JA » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:31 pm

Locking both VFOs with the lock button is not a good idea. The reason is the Split operation case mentioned by K9RX.

My Icom IC-7600 works this way (that is, one can change one's TX frequency with Lock enabled). My recollection is that my Yaesu FT-1000MP and my Kenwood TS-850 also worked this way. (That's as far back as my memory goes ... :)

At least let me suggest a checkbox selection in Setup for the Lock function.

John W1JA

Return to “PowerSDR mRX”