ANAN-100 issues

K2CB

ANAN-100 issues

Postby K2CB » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:40 am

Using an ANAN-100 (Hermes) FW 3.2 with V3.4.2

All was working well last weekend. Turned the radio on today, started up PowerSDR MRX V3.4.2, and the receiver was as if no antenna was connected. Verified all antenna connections.

Clicked the ON/OFF button in MRX to turn the radio off, then on, and the receiver appeared to come to life. Then I decided to try and tune around 20m with the mouse. While the frequency appears to change, the radio itself stayed tuned to the same frequency. The signals on the panadapter stayed put, and did not move left to right. However, if I enable CTUN, then the actual radio will change frequency and track the software, and the panadapter will indicate accordingly.

Next issue, the radio will not transmit. If I hit the mic ptt, or MOX tab, or even the TUNE tab, the panadapter changes color to the color set for transmit in the database, but I still see the receiver activity in the panadapter, as if in full duplex mode, but no transmit signal indication whatsoever. Nor do I hear any of the tx related relays click inside the radio itself.

Finally, if I try to change bands, the radio appears to stay on the same band hardware-wise. For example, if I am listening to 14.250 USB, then change the band to 80m, the radio is still receiving the same 20m signals. However, while changed to 80m, if I hit the ON/OFF button in MRX, to do a virtual power cycle of the software, when it comes back on, the radio hardware immediately switches to the displayed 80m frequency.

Its as if the radio is not responding to some commands, but responds to others.

I tried to reload the firmware twice, and both times it seems to load ok. PowerSDR is reporting the correct firmware version as loaded.

Very strange. Any ideas or suggestions as what to try next?

Eric
K2CB
Tony EI7BMB

Re: ANAN-100 issues

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:21 am

Hi Eric, perhaps try backing up your current power sdr database and then re install power sdr and see if it works before re importing your database . Did this myself just a few days ago to cure a strange error message.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:49 am

Export your current database for posterity, then reset your database.

Assuming this works, if it becomes a recurring problem look for some sort of file system corruption on your PC.

Scott
K2CB

Postby K2CB » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:26 pm

I tried resetting the database a few times. I also went and tried OpenHPSDR on a second computer. Same results.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:53 pm

It's starting to sound like a broken radio, except for the "it won't tune" part, that part sounds like a software/firmware/database problem.

Scott
K2CB

Postby K2CB » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:51 pm

I found the problem.

Someone in my household decided to turn on their Amazon Kindle after a long period of storage. As Murphy’s Law would have it, they decided to turn the darn thing back on the morning of the day I decided to use the radio.

When the Kindle came up on the Wi-Fi, it landed on the same IP address which was previously assigned to the ANAN-100.

I used the boot loader utility and assigned a new IP address to the ANAN-100, in the reserved non-dhcp range, and now the radio works just fine again.

Strange that neither device reported an IP conflict. Even more strange that certain functions worked, and others did not.

Why couldn’t I have thought to check the “connected devices” earlier?

Hopefully this post saves someone else from the same headache in the future!

Eric
K2CB
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:27 pm

This is why it pays to have everything use DHCP to the maximum extent possible.

You can only get into this situation if one or more of the devices has a fixed IP. Which one(s) had a fixed IP when the problem occurred: the Kindle, the radio, or both?

Scott
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:09 pm

I've been following the thread Eric and scratching my head because the behavior of the rig was so strange. Thanks for posting the explanation of what was going on. As you said, very strange that the conflict was not reported by the OS or one of the devices, but good for you for sorting it out!

Rob W1AEX
"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."
K2CB

Postby K2CB » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:19 am

Scott - the radio had the fixed IP address.

Rob - since the Windows PC’s IP address was actually ok, the OS would not have reported any issue.

OpenHPSDR itself did not report any conflict when talking to the radio.

The Kindle wasn’t even in use. It was just sitting on a desk, but it too did not report any IP conflict issue.

Since I had limited control of the radio, an IP conflict as the last thing I suspected. Only hours after I disconnected the radio and packed it for shipment, did I get the idea to check the router and assigned IP addresses.

Eric
K2CB
Paco

Postby Paco » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:54 pm

Hi all,

Where can I buy the power switch for an ANAN-100.

Thank you

Paco

Return to “PowerSDR mRX”