Export wav file recording

Fred_KJ6OOV

Export wav file recording

Postby Fred_KJ6OOV » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:15 pm

i am trying to export a recorded wav file, but the windows media player will not play the file. How do I record a wav file and export it so I can listen to in with a windows player? I am not using VAC. The recorded wav files will play back fine within PowerSDR mRX.

Fred KJ6OOV
w-u-2-o

Re: Export wav file recording

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:25 pm

Fred,

I'm guessing you are using the "quick record/play" buttons on the main console. These cause IQ type .wav files to be recorded, which can't be played by normal audio applications, of course.

The answer is: don't use the "quick record and playback" buttons on the main console. Instead, select the "Wave" menu to get the Wave File Controls window, then click the "Options" submenu to choose what type of file you'd like to record, receiver or mic audio in this case, and with what sample rate and bit depth. Then use the record and playback buttons in the Wave File Controls windows to do your recording and playback. The files you create should be playable in external applications.

Scott

P.S. moving this thread to the general PowerSDR sub-forum, as it's not really an audio hardware topic.
WA0VY

Postby WA0VY » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:39 pm

Fred, I run Win 10 and can't even find Win Media Player. You may be using an earlier version of Windows. I use VLC Media Player and it plays the files just fine. I also use Audacity to convert the .wav files to .mp3 which compresses and reduces the files to a fraction of their size. Give those programs a try.
73 Brent WA0VY
Fred_KJ6OOV

Postby Fred_KJ6OOV » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:11 am

Thanks for the responses.

I am using Win7 with VoiceMeter Banana installed. I get the same result whether recording using Quick Record or the Wave tab Record button. I have Receiver Output Audio radio button selected and have tries several Bit Depth & Sample Rate combinations on the Option window. So far no luck.

I copied the wav files over to another Win7 machine without Voicemeter and they played fine. I must have something wrong with my Voicemeter setup.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:59 am

The presence or absence of Voicemeter has no bearing on the recording and playback of these files. Clearly the files are ok since they play on another machine. You must be doing something else wrong.
Fred_KJ6OOV

Postby Fred_KJ6OOV » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:02 am

Problem solved. I had to assign the audio out device in the Windows player application to "VoiceMeeter Input" on the machine with VoiceMeeter installed. If I picked either Default or USB Headset as output device no audio was heard on the USB Headset.

On the machine without VoiceMeeter installed, audio was heard on the computer speakers with the Default device setting on the Windows player application.

Fred KJ6OOV

Return to “PowerSDR mRX”