Rack Audio Help on G2 with no display.

G2 operating system and special app's (e.g. p2app) discussion only--post Thetis and piHPSDR questions in their own sub-forums
brentc

Rack Audio Help on G2 with no display.

Postby brentc » Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:36 pm

I would like to plumb my audio rack direct into my G2. Are there any G2 owners that have experience in doing just that? If so could you please share how you are doing that?

Brent
N9BC
laurencebarker

Re: Rack Audio Help on G2 with no display.

Postby laurencebarker » Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:09 pm

With the exception of the 6.3mm jack connector for balanced microphone, the audio connections are identical to an ANAN7000; so advice for that radio would be just as valid. The connectors for line audio have changed from phono to 3.5mm jack but the signals are the same.
Laurence Barker G8NJJ
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:13 pm

I would suggest trying the balanced TRS input on the back (it may be somewhat erroneously marked "XLR"). However, beware that that is the input to a high gain mic preamp and thus it would be prudent to go easy on levels at that input.
brentc

Postby brentc » Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:48 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:I would suggest trying the balanced TRS input on the back (it may be somewhat erroneously marked "XLR"). However, beware that that is the input to a high gain mic preamp and thus it would be prudent to go easy on levels at that input.

Is that how you are getting audio into your G2?

When I select XLR in Thetis and in the Transmit tab when I select Mic in with no Mic Boost enabled I here a lot of noise with nothing in any of the input jacks. Does this happen to you? Can you share your settings?
N9BC
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:48 am

I don't have a G2. However there have been a number of people who have had success with the balanced input (and a number of people who haven't :? ).
brentc

Postby brentc » Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:11 am

w-u-2-o wrote:I don't have a G2. However there have been a number of people who have had success with the balanced input (and a number of people who haven't :? ).

Ah ok. Thanks for trying to help. I was hoping for a G2 owner to speak up. So I can poke them about the specifics on how they got it going correctly. I did have some issues with audiotest but after a reboot line in and xlr seem to work. I do still hear some noise on the xlr even with no cable plugged in. The quest continues.

-Brent
N9BC
W7GES

Postby W7GES » Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:05 am

Hi Brent,

I have a G2 with Front panel display.

I have used the XLR / Balanced TRS input on the back panel successfully.

I’ve only tried it with a Sennheiser Headset with a dynamic microphone. I did listen to my transmission via an online SDR and transmitted 1000 watts on 10 meters and the audio sounds good to me. No hum / distortion / etc. I’ve made some contacts and no one has commented but most people won’t say anything unless you have horrible audio.

The XLR connector on the headset is inserted into an XLR -> TRS plug I bought on Amazon.

My “normal” operation is a Heil 781 connected into the microphone input of my YCCC SO2R box. The mic audio is then routed to either my G2 (rear panel mic jack) or Kenwood T-890 (front panel mic jack).

George / W7GES
brentc

Postby brentc » Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:59 pm

W7GES wrote:Hi Brent,

I have a G2 with Front panel display.

I have used the XLR / Balanced TRS input on the back panel successfully.

I’ve only tried it with a Sennheiser Headset with a dynamic microphone. I did listen to my transmission via an online SDR and transmitted 1000 watts on 10 meters and the audio sounds good to me. No hum / distortion / etc. I’ve made some contacts and no one has commented but most people won’t say anything unless you have horrible audio.

The XLR connector on the headset is inserted into an XLR -> TRS plug I bought on Amazon.

My “normal” operation is a Heil 781 connected into the microphone input of my YCCC SO2R box. The mic audio is then routed to either my G2 (rear panel mic jack) or Kenwood T-890 (front panel mic jack).

George / W7GES

George,

So you using a mic directly into the TRS jack with no other outboard processing?
N9BC
W7GES

Postby W7GES » Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:19 am

Yes,

If I’m just dx’ing / rag chewing and don’t want the Heil microphone boom in my field of view I put my headset on with the mic plugged in the TRS / balanced mic jack directly.

I just wanted to let you know it works for me with a dynamic mic directly into the jack. If you have rack equipment with microphone level outputs between the microphone and G2 it should also work.

I would start out with the microphone plugged into the rig directly. If that works add your equipment, adjust the levels and make whatever adjustments make you happy with your audio…

I’m juggling quite a few major home improvement projects right now but will try another microphone or two with the G2 and see / hear what the results are as soon as I have a little free time.

George / W7GES

Return to “G2 Operating System & Applications”