G2 PTT Out problem

G2 operating system and special app's (e.g. p2app) discussion only--post Thetis and piHPSDR questions in their own sub-forums
qst

G2 PTT Out problem

Postby qst » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:10 pm

Hello everyone,
in my G2 there was a problem with the PTT to turn on the amplifier. I made a cable with a 3.5 mm stereo plug. There is PTT in on the outer ring. The connected foot switch works properly. The inner ring on the 3.5 mm plug is led to the PTT of the Flexradio PG XL amplifier. After switching to TX, I hear a hum on the modulation. When I disconnect the amplifier's PTT, there is no noise. I haven't experienced such a phenomenon before. Have any of you had a similar problem? I don't know what could be the reason for such a phenomenon. You can't drive QSO because the noise is high.
73!
Slawomir
qst

Re: G2 PTT Out problem

Postby qst » Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:37 am

Hi,
I am writing again about the problem of PTT out and a large hum when turning on TX and PA. I made several attempts and couldn't find a solution. I disconnected the PTT IN plug, leaving only the PTT OUT connection to the PA. I turned on PTT in with Thetis. There is no difference. With the microphone cable disconnected from G2, when TX is working with the amplifier, 21W of power is output to the antenna, which is a noise that prevents operation on the bands. I have no response from ApacheLabs support. I don't know how to solve the problem. Is there any other way to separate PTT In from PTT Out? I didn't have this problem with the Anan 700 DLE MKIII. Maybe there is another way to connect PTT to the amplifier via LAN? With this problem my G2 is useless.
qst

Postby qst » Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:20 pm

Problem solved.
The reason for this noise was not the PTT cable but the RS-232 cable. The RS-232 cable is connected to the amplifier via a USB/RS232 adapter. I used a galvanic USB isolator for the USB port on my computer and the problem disappeared. I can work normally with the amplifier.
Merry Christmas and happy New Year.
Slawomir
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:34 pm

Glad to read you found the problem. I had seen your post earlier today and was going to suggest looking at station grounding and bonding and to look for ground loops.

Good grounding practices are extra important for our radios.

Return to “G2 Operating System & Applications”