G2 Software and Firmware Updates

G2 operating system and special app's (e.g. p2app) discussion only--post Thetis and piHPSDR questions in their own sub-forums
laurencebarker

Re: G2 Software and Firmware Updates 27 Aug 2023

Postby laurencebarker » Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:20 pm

And interesting about the patches: we had to patch the kernel for version 6. My pi is on 6.1.21 - maybe the incompatibility came in with v6.5?
Laurence Barker G8NJJ
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:39 pm

Laurance, are the Compute modules interchangeable by the user? Or will it require a trip to someone to remove and replace the CM4? I have looked at many photos of the G2 interior and none are clear enough to see how easy a module can or cannot be, to replace if needed.
James
WD5GWY
laurencebarker

Postby laurencebarker » Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:18 pm

I haven't see a factory-made G2: but it is a plug and socket onto the Saturn DSP board. There may be (hopefully are! screws to secure it, in which case the Saturn board itself may need to be unscrewed. All while wearing an anti-static wrist strap. But I'd expect most users could do that.
Laurence Barker G8NJJ
laurencebarker

Postby laurencebarker » Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:22 pm

ct1iqi wrote:@laurence:
tnx for background info!
Using the Armbian environment made an image on basis of arm64 architecture and kernel 6.5, but with just enough in the OS to let pihpsdr show its GUI. So basically just cli plus X11 and Openbox Have patched 'your' xdma driver into it and for now called it xdma2 as the xdma name is already used in that kernel. Had to add some small patches to make it compile as some functions, deprecated in kernel 5, were removed or changed in 6. I add the patches, just remove the .txt as .patch does not upload here.
The good news: the audio chopping is gone, using embedded pihpsdr
The bad news: 384 k rate with two receivers is the max. That brings CPU load close to 100%. The massive calculus that wdsp has to do is just to much at higher rates.
p2app works fine and even copes with 1.5 M rate. At 2 x 768k rate it gets the CPUs in the 30-40 % load range. So xdma as such works just fine.
When using embedded pihpsdr there is some effect noticeable in the audio from events in the GUI. When by mouse movement in a menu over a clickable box that box changes color, some effect in the audio is audible. So there are some issues with interrupt priorities it seems.
For some reason with embedded pihpsdr the microphone input is not working while using p2app and an external pihpsdr it works. wdsp, pihpsdr, and p2app are all 100% the current github ones, no changes made.

Rick is looking at the microphone issues with piHPSDR, but can't reproduce a problem.

We do know that the tip and ring of the 3.5mm jack are reversed between front and rear: the Thetis or piHPSDR settings should be correct for the rear connector.

Can you tell us exactly what happens please, with what settings?
Laurence Barker G8NJJ
ct1iqi

Postby ct1iqi » Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:47 pm

regarding no mic input when running embedded pihpsdr:
The settings are exactly the same as for the external pihpsdr that I can run on my PC perfectly. Audio on tip, bias active, local audio unchecked as there is none coming from pulseaudio. My guess is that the Saturn codec does not get initialized properly. Perhaps it is looking at line input iso microphone. On the G2 am running the saturn version of the pihpsdr code on github/n1gp.
B.t.w. my G2 is w.o. control front, so use the 3.5 mm microphone input on the rear panel.
Killing embedded pihpsdr, starting p2app there, and connecting from an external pihpsdr, brings the microphone input to life.
ct1iqi

Postby ct1iqi » Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:59 pm

@trucker
cm4_saturn.jpg
cm4_saturn.jpg (654.15 KiB) Viewed 13429 times
n1gp

Postby n1gp » Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:12 pm

@ct1iqi

Can you check and make sure that on your G2's native pihpsdr that
in the TX menu, Radio Mic is set to Mic In ?
Mic.png
Mic.png (53.72 KiB) Viewed 13425 times

Failing that, maybe try deleting your props file in that directory (with pihpsdr NOT active),
mine is E4-5F-01-C2-1F-88.props
DL8LAQ

Postby DL8LAQ » Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:22 pm

Hi all,

I was using the 3,5mm on the front and could not get the microphone to work. I tried Thetis and the embedded pihpsdr, used mic at tip or ring, nothing. A hint from Laurence let me try the back 3,5mm and it works. Tomorrow I will check the cable to front connector (tnx Laurence).

ANAN-G2 with display!
73, Norbert - DL8LAQ - ANAN-G2 w/display - Richie's latest Thetis version and pihpsdr by N1GP&DL1YCF
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:01 pm

ct1iqi wrote:@truckercm4_saturn.jpg

Thank you Martin. A friend that has a G2 sent me some photos. But, it was difficult to tell what connections there were to the main board. I could see the four standoffs at the corners. But, the CM4 module is so close to the main board that I can't tell what kind of connections are used. I am assuming it's some sort of a pin and socket connection.
If that is the case, then upgrades to a newer module would be something that I might be able to do without making too big of a mess!
James
WD5GWY
ct1iqi

Postby ct1iqi » Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:09 pm

@Trucker: See
https://datasheets.raspberrypi.com/cm4i ... asheet.pdf
That is a motherboard for experimenting with a CM4. Its just two miniature connectors, very similar to the system used by eMMC memory modules. Just more pins.
ct1iqi

Postby ct1iqi » Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:04 pm

@n1gp
Tnx for hints. no luck with setting mic in. Just total silence during tx. E.g. two-tone tx works fine. Also removed .props, to no avail.
Just a thought: Could it be that my experimental OS being 64 bit (arm64) causes some settings to be wrong because intended in the pihpsdr code for 32 bit? Find it strange that the rest works fine, just not the microphone.

Something unrelated: noticed that the icons in the widgets that give + - are missing in my image. Adwaita has been removed from gtk and now lives as libadwaita. Installed that but no icons. What package should be installed in a current Ubuntu/Debian environment for the icons to appear?
n1gp

Postby n1gp » Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:20 pm

@ct1iqi

I'm also running 64 bit, but raspbian -vs- armbian:
$ uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 6.1.21-v8+ #1642 SMP PREEMPT Mon Apr 3 17:24:16 BST 2023 aarch64 GNU/Linux

There certainly may be differences in your armbian arm64 running a 6.5 kernel with
perhaps newer gtk3 packages.

Is your CM4 running from an SDCARD? Some of the first ones (including mine) run
off of eMMC on the CM4. If an SDCARD, maybe it's easy for you to test with another
SDCARD running with the default Apache-Labs G2 image?

https://storage.googleapis.com/anan_g2/G2_No_Display_production_image_270823.img
ct1iqi

Postby ct1iqi » Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:08 am

@n1gp
currently writing the sdcard. will report back.
My OS: Linux rpi4b 6.5.5-edge-bcm2711 #3 SMP PREEMPT Thu Sep 28 13:46:42 UTC 2023 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux
(uname -a)
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:14 am

Found a photo of the new CM5 Pi. The connectors on the underside of the module seem to be different as there is a third connector that the CM4 doesn't seem to have.
James
WD5GWY
Banana_Pi_BPI-CM5_interface.jpg
Banana_Pi_BPI-CM5_interface.jpg (412.01 KiB) Viewed 13364 times
rbanasik

Postby rbanasik » Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:33 am

laurencebarker wrote:
ct1iqi wrote:@laurence:
tnx for background info!
Using the Armbian environment made an image on basis of arm64 architecture and kernel 6.5, but with just enough in the OS to let pihpsdr show its GUI. So basically just cli plus X11 and Openbox Have patched 'your' xdma driver into it and for now called it xdma2 as the xdma name is already used in that kernel. Had to add some small patches to make it compile as some functions, deprecated in kernel 5, were removed or changed in 6. I add the patches, just remove the .txt as .patch does not upload here.
The good news: the audio chopping is gone, using embedded pihpsdr
The bad news: 384 k rate with two receivers is the max. That brings CPU load close to 100%. The massive calculus that wdsp has to do is just to much at higher rates.
p2app works fine and even copes with 1.5 M rate. At 2 x 768k rate it gets the CPUs in the 30-40 % load range. So xdma as such works just fine.
When using embedded pihpsdr there is some effect noticeable in the audio from events in the GUI. When by mouse movement in a menu over a clickable box that box changes color, some effect in the audio is audible. So there are some issues with interrupt priorities it seems.
For some reason with embedded pihpsdr the microphone input is not working while using p2app and an external pihpsdr it works. wdsp, pihpsdr, and p2app are all 100% the current github ones, no changes made.

Rick is looking at the microphone issues with piHPSDR, but can't reproduce a problem.

We do know that the tip and ring of the 3.5mm jack are reversed between front and rear: the Thetis or piHPSDR settings should be correct for the rear connector.

Can you tell us exactly what happens please, with what settings?

Laurence, just an FYI, I had posted the following a couple of days ago regarding mic and audio issues with my G2:
• Using PTT to key up on LSB, others have noticed an initial carrier that diminishes gradually during the first 2-3 seconds of each transmission. The dynamic MXL DB-1 mic is connected to the front panel connector and the PTT line connected to the rear ⅜” connector.
• Using the 20dB Mic boost with mic on front panel connector seems to cause a 1sec to 2sec delay in transmitted audio resulting in the first word or two clipped from the transmission. Unchecking the 20dB mic Boost eliminates this issue.
• When my dynamic mic is connected to the rear connector labeled “XLR”, there is an echo on the transmitted audio resembling a 100ms-200ms delay of a second audio signal after PTT key up. The PTT is connected to the rear ⅜” connector. If I pull out the PTT line and use MOX, there is no audio at all. The XLR-labeled input is therefore not currently usable.
I had re flashed the firmware following recent instructions.
I am running Thetis 2.10.1 and have updated the G2 as follows:
FPGA BIT file date code = 23082023
Product: Saturn; version = 2
FPGA firmware loaded: Saturn prototype, full function; FW version = 8

I just ordered an external audio interface in hopes that using VAC with the dynamic mic may be a workaround.
-- Bob - Ki1n
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:26 am

There are several interesting alternative choices available on the market as a more powerful, pin-compatible CM4 replacement. There would be some risk in getting everything to compile and run on different hardware and different kernels, though.
ct1iqi

Postby ct1iqi » Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:04 pm

update after trying kernel 6.1 production image:
The mic input works correctly. But the audio chopping at random moments is clearly present at sample speeds where the 6.5.5 stays smooth.
Also noticed that in the 6.1 image hpsdr and p2app can coexist without causing the tx-rx runaway.

Have now also the mic input working on the 6.5.5 after recompiling pihpsdr with the GPIO_INCLUDE option commented out. Despite the image being for controller-less G2, the SDcard image has that option set in pihpsdr' Makefile. Don't have an explanation why this makes the mic input work in my 6.5.5 arm64 build.
Still looking which package will provide the icons that the menu widgets need.
edit: it's the packages librsvg2-2, libsrvg2-bin, librsvg2-common
WM7C

Postby WM7C » Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:50 pm

Is there a particular post or guide to upgrading firmware on a G2 without screen? I am okay with directions, but there is a lot of trial and error in this thread. I guess I will read through it all when my G2 does arrive...unless I cancel before then. I kind of hoped it would be a bit more polished, but certainly don't want stagnant either.

I'm not really interested in a box with a screen and knobs at this point, but a stable, working, polished radio is what I expect for the money I suppose.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:17 pm

It would be good to get familiar with how to use Linux, if you are not already. See viewtopic.php?f=48&t=4724
WM7C

Postby WM7C » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:28 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:It would be good to get familiar with how to use Linux, if you are not already. See viewtopic.php?f=48&t=4724

I am familiar with following directions, but rebuilding a driver after an update to the OS is not something I would have known to do. :lol:
Torrey

Re: G2 Software and Firmware Updates

Postby Torrey » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:44 pm

Laurence,

I have done the previous firmware and pihpsdr updates on my G-2 with success. This was by using the commands you specified in your August 27, 2023 post. I have been unsuccessful this time corresponding to the current Thetis version 2.10.3.6 -dev2.
I get stalled by this error in the first command:

pi@raspberrypi:~/github/Saturn/sw_projects/P2_app $ ./p2app
SATURN Protocol 2 App. press 'x <enter>' in console to close
register access connected to /dev/xdma0_user
FPGA BIT file data code = 01072023
Product: Saturn; Version = 2
FPGA Firmware loaded: Fallback Golden image; FW Version = 5
All clocks present
p2app client app software Version:13 Build Date:23 Aug 2023 18:20:36
Die Temp = 57.6C
FPGA load is a fallback - you should re-flash the primary FPGA image!
pi@raspberrypi:~/github/Saturn/sw_projects/P2_app $ ./p2app
FPGA BIT file data code = 01072023
FPGA Firmware loaded: Fallback Golden image; FW Version = 5
All clocks present
Die Temp = 57.6C
FPGA load is a fallback - you should re-flash the primary FPGA image!

Using flashwriter I reinstall using /home/pi/github/Saturn/FPGA/saturnprimary.bin. It still tells me the fall back version of the FPGA is installed. [back-color=][color=#4000FF] "pi@raspberrypi:~/github/pihpsdr $ git pull
Already up to date."
[/back-color]
~/github/pihpsdr $ sudo apt-get install libgpiod-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
[back-color=]libgpiod-dev is already the newest version (1.2-3+rpi1)[/back-color]

How do I proceed to update to the newest firmware?
Tnx and 73 Torrey N9PY
laurencebarker

Postby laurencebarker » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:58 pm

somehow the primary image has been corrupted.

What FPGA image filename did you try to program using flashwriter? it looks like it was saturnprimary.bin which I think won't work. Try saturnprimary2023V11.bin unless you are using the newest Thetis dev release in which case use V12.

for a while now I've added new images with their version number in the filename.

The issue is: when we got fallback config properly working, we had to change to x1 configuration speed rather than x4 because that's all that xilinx supports with fallback. I suspect saturnprimary.bin uses x4
Laurence Barker G8NJJ
Torrey

Postby Torrey » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:30 pm

laurencebarker wrote:somehow the primary image has been corrupted.

What FPGA image filename did you try to program using flashwriter? it looks like it was saturnprimary.bin which I think won't work. Try saturnprimary2023V11.bin unless you are using the newest Thetis dev release in which case use V12.

for a while now I've added new images with their version number in the filename.

The issue is: when we got fallback config properly working, we had to change to x1 configuration speed rather than x4 because that's all that xilinx supports with fallback. I suspect saturnprimary.bin uses x4

How do I navigate to saturnprimary2023V12 in Flashwriter? I am using the latest Thetis dev-2 version. The only available file via Flashwriter is saturnprimary.bin, saturnprimary(1).bin, saturnprimar(2)y.bin (multiple identical downloads).

Tnx and 73,
Torrey N9PY
KC2QMA

Postby KC2QMA » Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:49 am

Although I don't have the skills there must to be a way to create a small updater application to automate Firmware/Software updates on the G2 radios.

I agree its good to learn Linux but I believe there would be less chance of people possibly bricking their radios and also cut down on people asking the same questions over and over on How to update the G2.

The idea would be to have a Linux "G2 Firmware Updater" application installed on the G2 with a shortcut on the desktop.

When the user double clicks on the Updater icon on the desktop the application will automatically check GitHub to see if newer Firmware/software is available.

If no new Firmware/Software is available a message box would pop up and say “Your Firmware/Software is up to date”

If new Firmware/Software is available a message box would pop up saying "New Firmware/Software is available would you like to update now" (Click Yes Or NO).

If you click Yes and the application goes to GitHub downloads the necessary file(s) and shows a progress bar.

Once update is complete a message box pops up and says “Update Complete Please Restart Anan G2”

And that’s it, update complete!
Anyway just an idea to make using and updating the G2 easy and safe! :D
laurencebarker

Postby laurencebarker » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:02 pm

Torrey wrote:

How do I navigate to saturnprimary2023V12 in Flashwriter? I am using the latest Thetis dev-2 version. The only available file via Flashwriter is saturnprimary.bin, saturnprimary(1).bin, saturnprimar(2)y.bin (multiple identical downloads).

Tnx and 73,
Torrey N9PY

click "open file"

then navigate to /home/pi/github/Saturn/FPGA

you should find it there.
Laurence Barker G8NJJ
laurencebarker

Postby laurencebarker » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:06 pm

KC2QMA wrote:Although I don't have the skills there must to be a way to create a small updater application to automate Firmware/Software updates on the G2 radios.

I agree its good to learn Linux but I believe there would be less chance of people possibly bricking their radios and also cut down on people asking the same questions over and over on How to update the G2.

The idea would be to have a Linux "G2 Firmware Updater" application installed on the G2 with a shortcut on the desktop.

When the user double clicks on the Updater icon on the desktop the application will automatically check GitHub to see if newer Firmware/software is available.

If no new Firmware/Software is available a message box would pop up and say “Your Firmware/Software is up to date”

If new Firmware/Software is available a message box would pop up saying "New Firmware/Software is available would you like to update now" (Click Yes Or NO).

If you click Yes and the application goes to GitHub downloads the necessary file(s) and shows a progress bar.

Once update is complete a message box pops up and says “Update Complete Please Restart Anan G2”

And that’s it, update complete!
Anyway just an idea to make using and updating the G2 easy and safe! :D

I'm sure that such a thing is possible. It just needs someone with the skills and interest to write it. Open Source developers doing this as a hobby are likely to be focused on the things that interest them. This hasn't captured anyone's attention yet.
Laurence Barker G8NJJ
Torrey

Postby Torrey » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:40 pm

laurencebarker wrote:
Torrey wrote:

Tnx and 73,
Torrey N9PY

click "open file"

then navigate to /home/pi/github/Saturn/FPGA

you should find it there.

FPGA BIT file data code = 23082023
FPGA Firmware loaded: Saturn prototype, full function; FW Version = 8
All clocks present
Die Temp = 64.5C

I did not find selection options for saturnprimary2023V12 or others containing the version in the name via Flashwriter navigating to /home/pi/github/Saturn/FPGA.

Tnx and 73 Torrey N9PY
laurencebarker

Postby laurencebarker » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:53 pm

you could do "git pull" again. Or alternatively download the file from github using a web browser and program it directly.

http://www.github.com/laurencebarker/Saturn

then go to the FPGA folder
Laurence Barker G8NJJ
laurencebarker

Postby laurencebarker » Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:37 pm

No that's not intentional, and I don't know instantly what would be causing it. What DSP client app are you running, and what version please? And did you update p2app too?
Laurence Barker G8NJJ
rbanasik

Postby rbanasik » Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:12 pm

laurencebarker wrote:We are in the process of changing the firmware, p2app and piHPSDR to work with enlarged FIFO buffers in the FPGA. Debug code has identified that we were stalling the software waiting for a speaker FIFO to empty. Hopefully a combination of enlarged buffers and a different way for the software to transfer data will fix that.

Yes, I noticed the GUI activity can cause lost data problems with Thetis too. As at today it is very stable - no lost data packets - in normal operation at FS=1536KHz with one receiver; if RX2 is enabled a tiny amount of data may be lost.

2 receivers at 384KHz is at the upper end of what I'd expect from piHPSDR, I consider that to be success. Hopefully in a few months there will be news of a pi5 compute module.

Hi Laurence.
I just wanted to confirm that the following update script is still applicable. I used it successfully earlier but heard there is another update available.
Is the following ok?
Thanks - Bob, Ki1n

cd ~/github/Saturn
git pull
cd sw_projects/P2_app
make clean
make

cd ../audiotest
make clean
make

cd ~/github/pihpsdr
git pull
make clean
make

Then run the "flashwriter" app. The program may already be installed onto your linux desktop. If not you can run it simply from a linux command prompt. Open a command window then type:

cd ~/github/Saturn/sw_tools/flashwriter
./flashwriter

click open file
navigate to the file ~/github/Saturn/FPGA
select file saturnprimary.bin
makes sure the Primary radio button is selected
click Program

(DO NOT click Erase Device of select Fallback!)

You will get progress shown in the window; it will go through erase, program and verify steps then report success at the end.

Shut your G2 down, power off and back on; it will now run the new FPGA code and will load the new p2app.

-- Bob - Ki1n

Return to “G2 Operating System & Applications”