G2 - No Receive

G2 operating system and special app's (e.g. p2app) discussion only--post Thetis and piHPSDR questions in their own sub-forums
KI4P

G2 - No Receive

Postby KI4P » Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:26 pm

Hey Folks
im a new Anan user, originally ordered a 7000 and switched to the G2(no front) when the others were kinda put on hold. I've been using Flex for a little over 4 years. to start, im using Thetis 2.10, windows 10 computer.
OK! received the G2 on a Monday(so excited) hooked up power cable, unplugged ant from flex and plugged into the G2(with a bnc to 259 adapter) turned on and no receive. tried several things, after trying a lot of start and stops, switching between all 3 antennas to no avail, gave up, well i tried one more time before bed and it came on and received. turned off and went to bed feeling a bit better, came in on Tuesday and turned on, no receive, on and off again several times and it finally came up with receive and got to talk on it for about 15 minutes, turned off and has not had any receive again, talked to Doug(very nice), we tried all he could think of and so i sent back to him for checking out. he sends back and says he could not get to duplicate problem, suggested it might be the adapters, he did change out a board that wasn't bad but he did try something, got rig back same thing,, no receive, ordered new cable with bnc to 59, came today and still no receive, i will include a screenshot, no difference when antenna plugged in or not, no difference, and when like that swr's are sky high, when it worked the one time swr's were normal, 1.3. im not a pi guy so I was going to try and do the pisdr but have no experience with a pi, im lost as a ball in high weeds with this not so cheap radio and I need some help if someone could and wouldnt mind helping a guy out I sure would appreciate it. ill try and answer any questions or whatever, im lost. sorry for long post but thanks for reading, one picture shows screen with antenna plugged up and no difference when unplugged and other is back with network and antenna plugged in.
Richard
Attachments
IMG_0626.jpg
IMG_0626.jpg (297.79 KiB) Viewed 2581 times
IMG_0625.jpg
IMG_0625.jpg (165.64 KiB) Viewed 2581 times
Richard - KI4P
WR4N

Re: G2 - No Receive

Postby WR4N » Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:06 am

KI4P wrote:Hey Folks
im a new Anan user, originally ordered a 7000 and switched to the G2(no front) when the others were kinda put on hold. I've been using Flex for a little over 4 years. to start, im using Thetis 2.10, windows 10 computer.
OK! received the G2 on a Monday(so excited) hooked up power cable, unplugged ant from flex and plugged into the G2(with a bnc to 259 adapter) turned on and no receive. tried several things, after trying a lot of start and stops, switching between all 3 antennas to no avail, gave up, well i tried one more time before bed and it came on and received. turned off and went to bed feeling a bit better, came in on Tuesday and turned on, no receive, on and off again several times and it finally came up with receive and got to talk on it for about 15 minutes, turned off and has not had any receive again, talked to Doug(very nice), we tried all he could think of and so i sent back to him for checking out. he sends back and says he could not get to duplicate problem, suggested it might be the adapters, he did change out a board that wasn't bad but he did try something, got rig back same thing,, no receive, ordered new cable with bnc to 59, came today and still no receive, i will include a screenshot, no difference when antenna plugged in or not, no difference, and when like that swr's are sky high, when it worked the one time swr's were normal, 1.3. im not a pi guy so I was going to try and do the pisdr but have no experience with a pi, im lost as a ball in high weeds with this not so cheap radio and I need some help if someone could and wouldnt mind helping a guy out I sure would appreciate it. ill try and answer any questions or whatever, im lost. sorry for long post but thanks for reading, one picture shows screen with antenna plugged up and no difference when unplugged and other is back with network and antenna plugged in.
Richard

Rick, there are some brilliant guys on here (obviously, I am not one of them - but every forum needs its "Appliance Operators"). :lol: I suggest that you also add pictures / screenshots of some additional pages (I think that the more visual information you can provide, the better the chance of someone potentially identifying an issue - assuming the G2 itself is not the issue). For example: under the "GENERAL" ... it would be helpful to see the "ANT/FILTERS" tab and perhaps the "ADC" tab (I am just thinking out loud).

Scott, if you read this, Rick has worked diligently to figure this out. Any ideas?
ANAN 7000 DLE MKIII
Thetis 2.10.3.6 x64 (1/28/24) dev_2
HP VICTUS (Gaming Laptop) - Intel Core i7 - 16GB memory - 512GB SSD - NVIDIA Graphics - WINDOWS 10

Best 73s,
WR4N - David
KI4P

Postby KI4P » Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:34 am

Well, plugged ant back in and turned on and receive came on. Played around a few minutes and it just went off. Strange! Kept flashing something seq error ddc I think. Tomorrow is another day
Richard - KI4P
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:45 am

Given the intermittent nature of the problem, it's easy to suspect a bad cable of some sort. Perhaps the LAN cable is bad.

One thing that can fool you about LAN cables is that if the right two pairs are working you'll get a 100MBit connection but it takes all four pairs to be good to get a GigE connection.

Temporarily, at least, you might try disabling any anti-virus and firewall software on the PC.

How is the G2 attached to the PC running Thetis? Directly? Via a switch?
KI4P

Postby KI4P » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:12 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:Given the intermittent nature of the problem, it's easy to suspect a bad cable of some sort. Perhaps the LAN cable is bad.

One thing that can fool you about LAN cables is that if the right two pairs are working you'll get a 100MBit connection but it takes all four pairs to be good to get a GigE connection.

Temporarily, at least, you might try disabling any anti-virus and firewall software on the PC.

originally used cable i had to flex, then used another one, connected to a gig switch, did disable anti virus last night thought about direct connect to pc but not sure how that works, if i knew any pi stuff i was going to try that to eliminate the pc part, but not sure how to disable the p2app for thetis and run pihpsdr.
Thanks
Richard - KI4P
WR4N

Postby WR4N » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:49 pm

KI4P wrote:
w-u-2-o wrote:Given the intermittent nature of the problem, it's easy to suspect a bad cable of some sort. Perhaps the LAN cable is bad.

originally used cable i had to flex, then used another one, connected to a gig switch, did disable anti virus last night thought about direct connect to pc but not sure how that works, if i knew any pi stuff i was going to try that to eliminate the pc part, but not sure how to disable the p2app for thetis and run pihpsdr.
Thanks

Rick, I have ALWAYS gone directly from my COMPUTER to the ANAN! I would immediately try that. There are so many variables when you do otherwise.
ANAN 7000 DLE MKIII
Thetis 2.10.3.6 x64 (1/28/24) dev_2
HP VICTUS (Gaming Laptop) - Intel Core i7 - 16GB memory - 512GB SSD - NVIDIA Graphics - WINDOWS 10

Best 73s,
WR4N - David
afilip

Postby afilip » Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:52 am

Richard,
this could be the same issue as with my Hermes/Thetis.
If Thetis was turned on while 20m was previously selected before turning power off click 30m pb and then click 20m pb again.
It works for me, I consider that as minor issue.

Adam AC8CE
KI4P

Postby KI4P » Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:36 pm

Well, here we go again, after getting very frustrated with the G2 trying to use thetis I hooked up monitor and stuff to try on PI, got the p2app killed got pihpsdr up and running for about 30 minutes, couldn't get but about 40 watts though, but hey I got to talk on it. Turned on this morning done same process and again all day no receive using PI, and when no receive SWR is sky high, almost like there is no antenna connected. I'm just about feed up with this mess. Any more ideas.
Richard - KI4P
administrator

Postby administrator » Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:28 am

Hello Richard,

Can you try this with Thetis, when the radio is in a state when it is not receiving/High SWR on Tx.

First disable transmit by going to Setup----H/W Select TAB and select checkbox "Receive only" and click Apply and OK to close the window. By doing this we are making sure that you don't transmit whilst doing this rather simple test to check if the G2 ANT1 port is connected internally to ADC1.

You need to also check that that the ADC selections are in their default settings, to do so go to Setup----ADC TAB and on Protocol2 click "Reset to Default", click apply and then OK.

If you have a signal generator I would suggest using it to inject a signal (within safe limits) into the G2 and check to see if the unit is receiving it or not. In case a Signal generator is not available try the rather rudimentary but effective test below:

Go to any of the lower HF bands 160/80/30/40M and set the Rx attenuator to zero. Remove your Antenna cable from the ANT1 port, now use a small screwdriver (preferably a Philips head) and make contact with the live center connector of the BNC connector on the radio whilst your hand is touching the metal portion of the screwdriver. You could also use a small piece of wire (approx 2-3 meters) and make contact with the ANT1 BNC center connector. This should cause the Rx noise floor to rise by 10-20dB. If that happens your receiver is OK, if not there may be a hardware issue that needs to be looked at.

Make sure that whatever you use to make contact with the center pin of the ANT1 port is not shorting with the outer Ground and that it is making good contact with the pin.

Tony

KI4P wrote:Well, here we go again, after getting very frustrated with the G2 trying to use thetis I hooked up monitor and stuff to try on PI, got the p2app killed got pihpsdr up and running for about 30 minutes, couldn't get but about 40 watts though, but hey I got to talk on it. Turned on this morning done same process and again all day no receive using PI, and when no receive SWR is sky high, almost like there is no antenna connected. I'm just about feed up with this mess. Any more ideas.
KI4P

Postby KI4P » Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:22 pm

ok, turned on G2 when i got home after church, receive came up, gave me hope, then went away after about a couple minutes to blank screen again, see attached pics,
done steps as you requested and took pics so yall wouldn't think i m crazy
ok, disable transmit, done.
checked adc selections and clicked reset button,
not receiving, see pic
don't have a signal generator, but did disconnect antenna, used phillips screwdriver and touched center on ant 1, see pic, receive did increase. so i understand what you say about receive should be working, but its not, does same thing on PIHPSDR (see pic). also see pic of PI in transmit and shows in top right corner swr !
so still seems to me something is dead, im seeing no receive and high swr, indicative of no antenna to me. sorry for big pictures. bottom shows receiving in PI the other night.
thanks again for contacting me, im trying to stay calm, but starting to wear thin, have radio for about 3 weeks and getting to use it maybe 20 or so minutes.
Richard

administrator wrote:Hello Richard,

Can you try this with Thetis, when the radio is in a state when it is not receiving/High SWR on Tx.

First disable transmit by going to Setup----H/W Select TAB and select checkbox "Receive only" and click Apply and OK to close the window. By doing this we are making sure that you don't transmit whilst doing this rather simple test to check if the G2 ANT1 port is connected internally to ADC1.

You need to also check that that the ADC selections are in their default settings, to do so go to Setup----ADC TAB and on Protocol2 click "Reset to Default", click apply and then OK.

If you have a signal generator I would suggest using it to inject a signal (within safe limits) into the G2 and check to see if the unit is receiving it or not. In case a Signal generator is not available try the rather rudimentary but effective test below:

Go to any of the lower HF bands 160/80/30/40M and set the Rx attenuator to zero. Remove your Antenna cable from the ANT1 port, now use a small screwdriver (preferably a Philips head) and make contact with the live center connector of the BNC connector on the radio whilst your hand is touching the metal portion of the screwdriver. You could also use a small piece of wire (approx 2-3 meters) and make contact with the ANT1 BNC center connector. This should cause the Rx noise floor to rise by 10-20dB. If that happens your receiver is OK, if not there may be a hardware issue that needs to be looked at.

Make sure that whatever you use to make contact with the center pin of the ANT1 port is not shorting with the outer Ground and that it is making good contact with the pin.

Tony

KI4P wrote:Well, here we go again, after getting very frustrated with the G2 trying to use thetis I hooked up monitor and stuff to try on PI, got the p2app killed got pihpsdr up and running for about 30 minutes, couldn't get but about 40 watts though, but hey I got to talk on it. Turned on this morning done same process and again all day no receive using PI, and when no receive SWR is sky high, almost like there is no antenna connected. I'm just about feed up with this mess. Any more ideas.
Attachments
IMG_0645.JPG
IMG_0645.JPG (3.56 MiB) Viewed 2075 times
IMG_0644.JPG
IMG_0644.JPG (3.7 MiB) Viewed 2075 times
IMG_0633.JPG
IMG_0633.JPG (3.51 MiB) Viewed 2075 times
IMG_0632.JPG
IMG_0632.JPG (4.77 MiB) Viewed 2075 times
IMG_0631.JPG
IMG_0631.JPG (4.48 MiB) Viewed 2075 times
Richard - KI4P
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:13 pm

Do you have another BNC to 239 adapter that you can try? Maybe, just moving the existing cable a bit would let you know if it is intermittent.
Just a thought that occurred to me.
James
WD5GWY

Maybe an adapter like this one.
Attachments
1c8925fb-8f61-43ca-a9a3-1b8f7c130855_1.35c7a95e52dbfd7e1fae4fbf703e23ab.jpeg
1c8925fb-8f61-43ca-a9a3-1b8f7c130855_1.35c7a95e52dbfd7e1fae4fbf703e23ab.jpeg (18.64 KiB) Viewed 2049 times
KI4P

Postby KI4P » Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:07 pm

Trucker wrote:Do you have another BNC to 239 adapter that you can try? Maybe, just moving the existing cable a bit would let you know if it is intermittent.
Just a thought that occurred to me.
James
WD5GWY

Maybe an adapter like this one.

Not using an adapter now. Bought a bnc to 259 jumper, did try adapter first though, 5 of them
Richard - KI4P
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:13 pm

Ok, I have had problems using BNC to 239 jumpers before. That is why I mentioned it. I hope you are able to get the problem figured out.
James
WD5GWY
KI4P

Postby KI4P » Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:06 pm

Trucker wrote:Ok, I have had problems using BNC to 239 jumpers before. That is why I mentioned it. I hope you are able to get the problem figured out.
James
WD5GWY

I know, used 2 jumpers and tried 5 adapters.
Richard - KI4P
administrator

Postby administrator » Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:17 am

Hi Richard,

Thanks for those tests, I would suggest selecting and using the ANT2 or ANT3 port for both Rx and Tx and see if you are still seeing the intermittent receive/High SWR.

Do you have another antenna which does not use the same coax that you can test the rig with on Rx? maybe just a long wire on AM to see if that gets you reception when the primary antenna is not working.

Tony

[quote="KI4P"]ok, turned on G2 when i got home after church, receive came up, gave me hope, then went away after about a couple minutes to blank screen again, see attached pics,
not receiving, see pic
don't have a signal generator, but did disconnect antenna, used phillips screwdriver and touched center on ant 1, see pic, receive did increase. so i understand what you say about receive should be working, but its not, does same thing on PIHPSDR (see pic). also see pic of PI in transmit and shows in top right corner swr !
so still seems to me something is dead, im seeing no receive and high swr, indicative of no antenna to me. sorry for big pictures. bottom shows receiving in PI the other night.
thanks again for contacting me, im trying to stay calm, but starting to wear thin, have radio for about 3 weeks and getting to use it maybe 20 or so minutes.
Richard
KI4P

Postby KI4P » Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:19 pm

administrator wrote:Hi Richard,

Thanks for those tests, I would suggest selecting and using the ANT2 or ANT3 port for both Rx and Tx and see if you are still seeing the intermittent receive/High SWR.

Do you have another antenna which does not use the same coax that you can test the rig with on Rx? maybe just a long wire on AM to see if that gets you reception when the primary antenna is not working.

Tony
I have tried the other two ports and also receive 2 port as directed by Doug, same results. Only have one coax into house, same coax I use on the flex and it works fine, tri band yagi resonate on this bands and wires for 40 and 80 resonate on end of band where I operate.

KI4P wrote:ok, turned on G2 when i got home after church, receive came up, gave me hope, then went away after about a couple minutes to blank screen again, see attached pics,
not receiving, see pic
Richard
Richard - KI4P
KI4P

Postby KI4P » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:11 am

Ok, after all my pulling what little hair i have out and feeling disgusted, radio finally come to life today. After trying 5 adapters and a jumper that worked on someone else’s radio, and numerous emails to doug and tony, had ordered a new factory made jumper, put it on and wala! Receiving and working now, feel like a big kid in a toy store, so happy, thanks to all and especially thanks to doug and tony for there help and putting up with me, they are champs. Thanks guys! Now to srart learning
Richard - KI4P
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:39 am

Great news Richard. Glad you got it solved. Now, you can have some fun!
James
WD5GWY

Return to “G2 Operating System & Applications”