G2 Sequence Errors & Audio Issues (See Video)

G2 operating system and special app's (e.g. p2app) discussion only--post Thetis and piHPSDR questions in their own sub-forums
KC2QMA

G2 Sequence Errors & Audio Issues (See Video)

Postby KC2QMA » Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:18 pm

Here is a video to show some issues I am having with my new G2-100W and Thetis V2.10.0.
Sequence Errors and Audio Issues.

Radio is connected direct to PC via Intel® Ethernet Controller I226 and only G2 radio mic input and speaker output for TX/RX audio. NO VAC is used!

My System Specs:
OS
Windows 10 Pro (22H2)

PROCESSOR
12th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-12700K

GRAPHICS
AMD Radeon ™ R9 200 Series

AUDIO
USB Audio 2.0
AMD High Definition Audio Device
Realtek High Definition Audio

NETWORKING AND I/O
Intel® Ethernet Controller (3) I225-V
Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz
Intel® Ethernet Controller I226-V
Intel® Ethernet Controller I226-V #2
Intel® Wireless Bluetooth®

MEMORY
32 GB

STORAGE
Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB
Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512GB
Samsung SSD 860 PRO 512GB
Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB
Last edited by KC2QMA on Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:52 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Trucker

Re: G2 Sequence Errors & Audio Issues (See Video)

Postby Trucker » Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:12 pm

What version of Windows are you using? I recently ran into problems in Windows 11 Pro when I was trying to test SDR Console with my 8000DLE. It eventually caused problems with Thetis as well. After a lot of research and going back and forth, it boiled down to being the Realtek audio driver that was the source of my particular problem with SDR Console and eventually, Thetis.
Updating the Realtek driver and others particular to my Dell pc fixed the problem.
I am not saying that your issue is the same thing, but it could be contributing to your problem.
James
WD5GWY
BPerk

Postby BPerk » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:42 pm

I am having the same audio issues as stated above. Using v2.10.0 with a G2-100, when turning RX2 on, there is no audio from RX2 without first powering off Thetis, and then back on again. And, when closing RX2 and returning back to RX1, RX1 has no audio output until starting and stopping Thetis. This is when taking the audio directly from the radio (not using VAC).

Bob NN5D
administrator

Postby administrator » Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:39 am

Yes, windows 11 Pro does cause issues, also have you tried updating the Ethernet drivers?

I would also recommend enabling the "Network throttle index tweak" in Setup----H/W Select tab (network settings).

Tony
KC2QMA

Postby KC2QMA » Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:52 am

administrator wrote:Yes, windows 11 Pro does cause issues, also have you tried updating the Ethernet drivers?

I would also recommend enabling the "Network throttle index tweak" in Setup----H/W Select tab (network settings).

Tony

The system is only a few months old but I am still using Win10, Yes all drivers are up to date.
Did the "Network throttle index tweak" also.

My System Specs:
OS
Windows 10 Pro (22H2)

PROCESSOR

GRAPHICS

AUDIO
USB Audio 2.0

NETWORKING AND I/O

MEMORY
32 GB
administrator

Postby administrator » Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:19 am

Thanks, I see you have two ethernet ports, sometimes that can cause problems with Thetis, is it possible to try and connect to a different PC/Laptop and see if you are still getting the sequence errors?

Tony

KC2QMA wrote:
administrator wrote:Yes, windows 11 Pro does cause issues, also have you tried updating the Ethernet drivers?

Tony

The system is only a few months old but I am still using Win10, Yes all drivers are up to date.
Did the "Network throttle index tweak" also.

My System Specs:
OS
Windows 10 Pro (22H2)

PROCESSOR

GRAPHICS

AUDIO
USB Audio 2.0

NETWORKING AND I/O

MEMORY
32 GB
laurencebarker

Postby laurencebarker » Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:11 am

There are likely two issues reported here.

One is the sequence errors. Could be a G2 issue; but could also be a PC networking issue. What sample rate is selected please?

The other is the RX1 & RX2 audio issue. If both RX1 and RX2 panadapters work OK this is unlikely to be a G2 issue; could be a Thetis issue. My reason for saying that is: there is a single stream of samples comes out of Thetis, with the RX1 and RX2 audio added together. There isn't an RX1 and an RX2 audio stream. If one or other isn't active, it is disabled before that add. The protocol 2 data sees one sample stream and has no idea where it came from. If this were to be a Thetis issue it should be exactly replicated on other hardware.

I have no experience of operating multiple ethernet adapters. My PC is a fairly modest spec and connects to G2 via a domestic gigabit ethernet network that it also shares with everything else; and I don't see similar sequence errors.
Laurence Barker G8NJJ
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:01 pm

On the sequence error problem:

- Having a dedicated NIC for the radio has always been the gold standard in order to reduce UDP packet loss rates.

- Multiple adapters can be a problem, but generally only when PCIE NICs are fighting with motherboard NICs.

John--you list three NICs. How are those physically realized? Is one of them a motherboard NIC? If so, I recommend disabling it in the BIOS (not just at the OS level). You can also try going back to a single NIC (use an external switch). If either of those things fixes it then you know it's a multiple NIC configuration issue.

You can also install iPerf (https://iperf.fr/) on the Pi and your PC and measure UDP packet loss rates.

On the audio problem:

- This seems to only be affecting G2 users who are using the CODEC in the G2 unit, not G2 VAC users.

- Since there aren't any users of other hardware (7000, 8000, etc.) posting about this, that tends to point the finger at the G2, or possibly the G2 unique code in Thetis.

- Does the problem go away with the G2 if Thetis 2.9.x.x is used?
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:16 pm

Scott,
On your last question, Thetis 2.9 doesn't support the G2 Saturn in the hardware selection drop down. Wouldn't that effect configuration?
James
WD5GWY
KC2QMA

Postby KC2QMA » Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:18 pm

There are 3 ports, 1 is on the MB the other 2 are on the pci-e card.
I agree I also think the seq errors are network related.
I currently have the radio on the Dual port card and internet on the MB NIC, I will try swapping those and see what happens.

Yes audio issues sure looks like a codec issue with the G2 radio it self.

It's been a long time since I had a ANAN, the last one was the 200W 8000DLE on protocol 1 so I have to learn everything from scratch all over again. :lol:
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:23 pm

KC2QMA wrote:There are 3 ports, 1 is on the MB the other 2 are on the pci-e card.
I agree I also think the seq errors are network related.
I currently have the radio on the Dual port card and internet on the MB NIC, I will try swapping those and see what happens.

I have a motherboard NIC and a dual port GigE NIC card, so very similar to your configuration.

I had to disable the motherboard NIC in the BIOS and use both ports on the dual NIC card, one each for the radio and the other for normal networking. That is what I recommend you do.
laurencebarker

Postby laurencebarker » Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:23 pm

I'm on holiday for another fortnight, so I can't help in person.

Earlier versions of Thetis didn't have support for G2... but the only change for G2 is to change a constant related to Puresignal, unless a bug was introduced by accident. There is no G2 specific audio code.

You can test current Thetis with current G2 hardware but with Thetis thinking it is connected to an anan7000: this will make a big step towards isolating where the issue is.

follow the manual instructions (section 4.5) to find the process id for the loaded-at-startup p2app program
(a simple way is to type ps -ax then read through the list until you find one that says ./p2app)

type sudo kill <number> eg if that number was 703, type sudo kill 703

type cd ~/github/Saturn/sw_projects/P2_app
type ./p2app -i orionmk2

Then p2app will run, and tell Thetis that it is an Orion mk2.

Run Thetis; select the h/w to be ANAN7000 and start up,

(you can also run older Thetis at this point too)

Does the problem still happen then? If it does, it is a Thetis issue; if not, it is related either to G2 or to the G2 code in Thetis.
Laurence Barker G8NJJ
KC2QMA

Postby KC2QMA » Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:54 pm

Issue Resolved

I was able to fix my sequence error issue by simply swapping around cat cables and connecting the radio direct to the motherboard's Ethernet port and the rest of my network is connected to the add on PCi-E NIC card.

Now I can run the G2 from the MB Ethernet port, My Expert Electronics SunSDR2dx from port 1 and my home network from port 2 on my PCI-E NIC expansion card.

So bottom line Sequence Errors are Network related not the G2 and can be resolved by getting the network config correct.
VK2FR

Postby VK2FR » Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:09 am

w-u-2-o wrote:On the sequence error problem:

- Having a dedicated NIC for the radio has always been the gold standard in order to reduce UDP packet loss rates.

- Multiple adapters can be a problem, but generally only when PCIE NICs are fighting with motherboard NICs.

John--you list three NICs. How are those physically realized? Is one of them a motherboard NIC? If so, I recommend disabling it in the BIOS (not just at the OS level). You can also try going back to a single NIC (use an external switch). If either of those things fixes it then you know it's a multiple NIC configuration issue.

You can also install iPerf (https://iperf.fr/) on the Pi and your PC and measure UDP packet loss rates.

On the audio problem:

- This seems to only be affecting G2 users who are using the CODEC in the G2 unit, not G2 VAC users.

- Since there aren't any users of other hardware (7000, 8000, etc.) posting about this, that tends to point the finger at the G2, or possibly the G2 unique code in Thetis.

- Does the problem go away with the G2 if Thetis 2.9.x.x is used?

I have also the audio glitch issue with the Anan 7000DLE MKII running Window 11 Pro 22H2, 32GB Ram, Intel i7.

I have tried everything, the last resort is going back to protocol 1.

Currently running protocol 2.

Sometimes the glitches are noticable on transmit and sometimes they are not. However very noticable in the panadapter running PS-A and DUP.

I've tried winding everything back making sure I'm hitting 0dB etc but have tried to no avail and nothing improving it.

Windows 11 updates are currently off. Done the throttling thing as well as various other tests.

You can see a thread elsewhere here.

https://groups.io/g/apache-labs/topic/intermittant_blowouts_when/100484414?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate/sticky,,,20,2,0,100484414,previd%3D1691336332522784145,nextid%3D1686384899669139297&previd=1691336332522784145&nextid=1686384899669139297
73 Jordan
VK2FR

Email: contact@vk2fr.com
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:34 pm

VK2FR wrote: I have also the audio glitch issue with the Anan 7000DLE MKII running Window 11 Pro 22H2, 32GB Ram, Intel i7.
Your problem is not the same as the issue with the G2 discussed in this topic.

As argued in the groups.io thread, you don't really have a significant problem at all, it looks like either you've got some PureSignal instability or are dropping the occasional UDP packet. In either case, rather than drift the heck out of this thread I'd ask that you start a new topic. The best place for that is probably the network sub-forum (viewforum.php?f=22) because it will be easier to put that possibility to bed first before tackling any potential PureSignal issues.

Return to “G2 Operating System & Applications”