G2-100 encounters

G2 operating system and special app's (e.g. p2app) discussion only--post Thetis and piHPSDR questions in their own sub-forums
laurencebarker

Re: How do i configure my microphone Hardware on my g-2

Postby laurencebarker » Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:14 pm

I think you'll have to exit Thetis, press exit in the command window then close the command window to get to the desktop icons

If changing those works you won't need the command window again

If you need to use it again, you can use the up cursor arrow keyboard key to get to previous command so you won't have to type so much in again.

Just the cd github/Saturn/sw_projects/P2_app then ./p2app
Laurence Barker G8NJJ
Carajo

Postby Carajo » Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:21 pm

i exit out of thetis these are the icons i see,
i click on P2 App a then on Thetis Program i can not connect thetis to computer.

i dont see a Icon to start Pihdsdr as well
Attachments
Icons.jpg
Icons.jpg (3.9 MiB) Viewed 4489 times
Carajo

Postby Carajo » Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:29 pm

i know its getting late for you in the UK, we can continue tomorrow if you wish too?

Ed
kk4x
Carajo

Postby Carajo » Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:37 pm

this is what I see when i double click on p2app icon.
Attachments
double clikc.jpg
double clikc.jpg (4.54 MiB) Viewed 4494 times
Carajo

Postby Carajo » Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:39 pm

how do i go back to Pihdsdr to run the G2 from this selection.
laurencebarker

Postby laurencebarker » Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:03 pm

you do need to double click, and "execute in terminal" should work. (I was trying to remember how I disabled it asking that, and don't seem to be able to find it...)
Laurence Barker G8NJJ
laurencebarker

Postby laurencebarker » Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:04 pm

to get back to pihpsdr: it should have an icon too. Double click on it. and again if it asks, execute in terminal.
Laurence Barker G8NJJ
laurencebarker

Postby laurencebarker » Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:04 pm

I need to drop off now, and I'll be off for 24 hours - sorry. It is a work day.
Laurence Barker G8NJJ
Carajo

Postby Carajo » Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:14 pm

access denied to p2aap application to Run Thetis Still, any way Thank you again for your time, still have to figure a few things out. I will check on here on Tuesday to see if your around so we can wrap this issue up.
Thanks
cheers
Ed, Kk4x, Tampa Fl
administrator

Postby administrator » Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:03 am

Ed,

Refer attachment on Launching the P2app.

Thanks,

Tony
Attachments
Launching P2app.pdf
(899.41 KiB) Downloaded 482 times
administrator

Postby administrator » Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:09 am

Carajo wrote:how do i go back to Pihdsdr to run the G2 from this selection.

Restart, we do not want the P2app running in the background as that will take up additional resources, so if you wish to use the G2 running just PiHPSDR simply restart the G2 and it will reboot and launch PiHPSDR on startup.

Tony
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:36 am

administrator wrote:Ed,

Refer attachment on Launching the P2app.

Thanks,

Tony

Tony,
Thanks for sharing this information. It helps me decide on purchasing a G2 with the front panel.
James
WD5GWY
Carajo

Re: How do i configure my microphone Hardware on my LAUNCHING THETIS g-2

Postby Carajo » Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:07 pm

launching

Fm Ed rodriguez
Kk4x

Thetis Application I close Pihdsdr and go to Desk top

After I double click on P2aap and open it I get this banner of execute file

Then I proceed ton tic on execute and the the error message

seems like my application is lost.

Any ideas?
Attachments
20230717_084425.jpg
20230717_084425.jpg (4.43 MiB) Viewed 4403 times
20230716_163315.jpg
20230716_163315.jpg (4.54 MiB) Viewed 4403 times
laurencebarker

Postby laurencebarker » Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:34 pm

If you get a message "p2app seems to be an executable script...."

select "execute in terminal" to get some confidence that something happens.

It is possible to disable that message, but I can't remember how.

We do have more changes coming that will make some of this easier, but the code isn't tested yet.
Laurence Barker G8NJJ
laurencebarker

Postby laurencebarker » Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:39 pm

To Tony:

from your pdf document, the code running that shows the firmware and software version etc **is** p2app and is still running in the window. I suspect your other shortcut runs p2app but not in a terminal window, maybe.

There's nothing wrong with running it in a terminal window, at least until you get used to it. You'll see messages appear when Thetis discovers it and starts running.

To stop the program in that window, types exit and <enter>. It will not echo the characters, but will terminate.
Laurence Barker G8NJJ
Carajo

Postby Carajo » Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:40 pm

still no access to p2app, lost receive on 6 meters and at times changing bands it changes with MOX on, So i have to press the MOX button on the front of the panel.
also where can i read about what are the functions of the buttons below the power button, there is not literature on the usage of all the front panel buttons, yet. so its a little confusing to navigate.
Attachments
front2).jpg
front2).jpg (3.27 MiB) Viewed 4325 times
administrator

Postby administrator » Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:15 am

Hello Ed,

I have had the factory try and see if they could replicate what you are seeing on three different units, we could not reproduce either the 6M receive issue or the problem you re having with the P2 app. I have not had any other user report these issues so far so it seems like this is an isolated case.

Can you please go to the home folder where you will see a *.props file where the * will be your mac address, go ahead and delete this file, this will allow PiHPSDR to build a new prop file. See if this resolves the 6M issue.

Another thing you can try is in the PiHPSDR setup menu click on the Saturn button and check "Saturn Server" and restart, after restarting you should be able to connect to Thetis without launching the p2app. Check if you see the 6M Rx issue on Thetis as well.

If both the above do not resolve your issue please send the unit to our US service for them to have a look and diagnose the fault if any.

The front panel is quite simple and the function for each button/knob is clearly marker, the multi1/2 knobs can be assigned any function you choose to assign to these.

For usage of PiHPSDR I would suggest having a look at the v2 controller manual, we are working on an updated PiHPSDR manual but this should help in the meanwhile:

https://apache-labs.com/download_file.p ... ds_id=1021

Tony

Carajo wrote:still no access to p2app, lost receive on 6 meters and at times changing bands it changes with MOX on, So i have to press the MOX button on the front of the panel.
also where can i read about what are the functions of the buttons below the power button, there is not literature on the usage of all the front panel buttons, yet. so its a little confusing to navigate.
laurencebarker

Postby laurencebarker » Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:25 am

Please be more descriptive about what problem you need help with. if p2app really isn't running, then I assume your comments about changing bands etc refers to piHPSDR.

All of the front panel controls, other than power, work only with piHPSDR. There is a piHPSDR manual in the piHPSDR repository that describes the earlier controllers, and these are the same controls just on different locations. There is a link to that repository in the G2 manual.

"still no link to p2app" you had it running on Sunday. What happens when you *double* click the two desktop icons that Tony referred to? A screenshot before and afterwards would help.

And please don't send messages to my personal email - I won't respond to them.
Laurence Barker G8NJJ
dl4zbg

Postby dl4zbg » Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:57 am

Hello Laurence,

- does this mean the the VFO knob and the other control knobs will not work with Thetis?

Volker
Carajo

Postby Carajo » Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:59 am

Hi Laurence
thanks for your assistance, radio is going to Dougs qth for repair/checkup, no more e mails.
Last edited by Carajo on Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:56 pm

dl4zbg wrote:Hello Laurence,

- does this mean the the VFO knob and the other control knobs will not work with Thetis?

Volker

Not Laurence, but, yes, that is correct.

And Thetis will never run on the internal CM4 processor of the G2 under Rasbpian Linux.
dl4zbg

Postby dl4zbg » Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:04 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:
dl4zbg wrote:Hello Laurence,

Volker

Not Laurence, but, yes, that is correct.

And Thetis will never run on the internal CM4 processor of the G2 under Rasbpian Linux.

Nobody thought that, Scott. But it is not impossible to send VFO rotation commands to the <thetis <PC just like andromeda does (CAT)
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:21 pm

It's just a "small matter of software", Volker. Unfortunately, AFAIK, nobody has written an app that translates front panel commands into CAT messages for transmission to Thetis.

The good news is that because the processor is a Pi writing such an app should be, relatively speaking, pretty easy. Such an app could do all kinds of fancy things, like create multiple pages of buttons and such on the touchscreen display.
laurencebarker

Postby laurencebarker » Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:03 pm

Yes that could be done. A challenge however will be to tunnel the CAT commands (that Thetis expects to find attached to a serial port) through internet messages. At the moment the Andromeda interface to Thetis uses a "specific" serial port connection because it not only receives CAT commands but actively pushes message back. That wouldn't be needed in this case because there aren't any indicators.

So if someone wants to offer to write an app for the Raspberry pi that translates the control activity into CAT messages, then push those messages via ethernet messages that the new "cat over ethernet" that Thetis recognises, it could be done. Appropriate CAT commands already exist in Thetis, so its possible this is a raspberry-pi-only development activity.
Laurence Barker G8NJJ
wevets@gmail.com

Postby wevets@gmail.com » Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:44 pm

Hi Laurence,

I'm not at home so can't look - but I thought Thetis had a TCP/IP port for CAT now too similar to PiHPSDR?? There is also the utility socat under unix that could be used possibly for an application to catch the knobs/button pushes and send them to Thetis. I'm sure the piping of the info could be figured out on both sides.

Just so everyone understands what needs to be done - The pieces of code that deal with the buttons/knobs in PiHPSDR could be "lifted" for use in such a program. You would also need to have some sort of GUI utility to remap the buttons/knobs in a soft manner just like PiHPSDR provides. Finally - you need to hook up all of these functions to a sender routine that sends the appropriate CAT commands to Thetis. It can be done.

However - as someone with an Andromeda - occasionally I pull the GUI to the attached screen - and it becomes inconvenient to use the buttons and knobs on the chassis!!!!

73s! Steve KA6S
laurencebarker

Postby laurencebarker » Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:18 pm

It could be even easier than that. There's already a GUI in Thetis to assign button and knob CAT commands; so it wouldn't need a configuration GUI.

Yes, it would use the new TCP/IP port. Someone would need to understand those message exchanges, and there would need to be a way to set a destination IP address and port.
Laurence Barker G8NJJ
laurencebarker

Postby laurencebarker » Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:34 pm

An interim update to the manual - covers a number of the issues raised in this thread with more explicit instructions for starting applications, creating desktop icons if you don't have them and suppressing that warning. when you try to run the application.
Attachments
Saturn manual draft V0_3.pdf
(1.99 MiB) Downloaded 432 times
Laurence Barker G8NJJ
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:59 pm

Laurance,
In section 4.4 the wording makes one think that Thetis can connect to a Saturn with the front panel display while PiHPSDR is still running on the front panel. Yet, earlier in the manual it says to close PiHPSDR in the radio's with a front panel before launching p2app to connect Thetis to the radio because of the extra processing load on the Pi.
Am I misunderstanding those two sections?
James
WD5GWY
laurencebarker

Postby laurencebarker » Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:14 pm

Ah. Thank you for pointing that out. That will be possible, but I don't think it has been "released into service" yet.

Today, you should exit piHPSDR then double click the P2app icon on the desktop to run Thetis.
Laurence Barker G8NJJ
K6JR

Postby K6JR » Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:54 pm

Hello Laurence.
Should the tx monitor audio be working on my G2 when using Thetis? I do not get any tx audio with the Mon button on and tx audio slider up.
Also does the G2 have a tx Monitor when in pi stand alone?

Tnx, Jim K6JR

Return to “G2 Operating System & Applications”