G2 Draft User Guide

G2 operating system and special app's (e.g. p2app) discussion only--post Thetis and piHPSDR questions in their own sub-forums
w-u-2-o

G2 Draft User Guide

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:08 pm

Version 0.1 (draft) now available on the Apache website:

https://apache-labs.com/download_file.php?downloads_id=1023
KI4P

Re: G2 Draft User Guide

Postby KI4P » Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:22 pm

looked at your draft. a couple questions, on icon for pihpsdr (7.4.2) shouldn't line 3 read pihpsdr instead of p2app.desktop, also line 5 references p2app. I am a newbie on this stuff, and a new anan user(been using a flex for 4 years). ready and willing to learn but so much contradicting stuff, gets a old brain like mine confused.
Thanks again for your work
Richard - KI4P
Richard - KI4P
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:41 pm

I can take no credit. Laurence, G8NJJ is the author.

It's currently at Rev 0.3, and still a work in progress.
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:15 pm

KI4P wrote:looked at your draft. a couple questions, on icon for pihpsdr (7.4.2) shouldn't line 3 read pihpsdr instead of p2app.desktop, also line 5 references p2app. I am a newbie on this stuff, and a new anan user(been using a flex for 4 years). ready and willing to learn but so much contradicting stuff, gets a old brain like mine confused.
Thanks again for your work
Richard - KI4P

Richard,
The information in that section is in case someone receives a radio that doesn't have the required shortcuts on the Pi desktop. ( it has happened already) It explains how to go about recreating them including where in the Linux file system the actual programs are located.
The new manual may be information overload. But, it does have enough to get a user up and running one way or another.
There are a couple of things that are repeated a couple of times. That probably got missed during editing.
If you have a new G2 Saturn start with the basic instructions for your particular version ( with display or without). And get it going from there first. Radios with the front panel should start PiHPSDR on bootup. Those without the front panel display auto start p2app allowing you to connect from a pc on the network with Thetis.
Be sure to follow the instructions on how to properly shutdown the radio as well.
James
WD5GWY
KI4P

Postby KI4P » Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:49 pm

Understand! I was probably the first to receive the G2(no front)on Monday, didn't have any receive, tried to boot going to try PI to see if that worked and it wasn't there, nor was the app to change mic input or test audio. Not familiar with a pi, just didn't want to screw something up. Oh well sending back to Doug today for repair or something. I'll try and learn more about PI or stick to my flex!
Thanks!
Richard
Richard - KI4P
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:23 pm

I have a feeling that Doug is going to be getting busy for a while! I believe I recall you posting about receiving the G2 without the front panel on the Apache Labs Facebook page Monday. But,I have slept since then! ( getting old is a PITA sometimes!)
I hope he gets you up and running soon.
James
WD5GWY
KI4P

Postby KI4P » Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:19 pm

Trucker wrote:I have a feeling that Doug is going to be getting busy for a while! I believe I recall you posting about receiving the G2 without the front panel on the Apache Labs Facebook page Monday. But,I have slept since then! ( getting old is a PITA sometimes!)
I hope he gets you up and running soon.
James
WD5GWY

yep! see sleep hasn't affected you too bad! HA! came in and no receive, it did come on 1 time on Tuesday and i got to talk on it about 20 minutes, turned it off that night and never received again, i had put my flex TX profile in and according to my friend Gordon it was real close, cant wait to get it back, think its going to be fun, wish I knew more about the PI though, never fooled with it before. maybe someone will do a idiots guide to PI on the anan! :lol:
enjoyed the chat, 73' maybe we can catch each other on the bands one day soon.
Richard - KI4P
Richard - KI4P
w3ub

Postby w3ub » Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:50 pm

Looking at the manual, perhaps there should be mention of using VNC to access the PI, particularly for the no front panel version and perhaps remotely located from the main PC/shack. Why would one need to connect a monitor and keyboard to the unit itself?

Doug
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:46 pm

w3ub wrote:Looking at the manual, perhaps there should be mention of using VNC to access the PI, particularly for the no front panel version and perhaps remotely located from the main PC/shack. Why would one need to connect a monitor and keyboard to the unit itself?

Doug

Looking at the manual, I believe the radio's without the front panel don't need to have mouse, keyboard and monitor connected in order to use it with Thetis over a network. It just has to be powered up and down in the proper manner.
The manual states that if you want to use PiHPSDR, then connect a mouse, keyboard and monitor before powering on the radio.
James
WD5GWY
w3ub

Postby w3ub » Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:26 pm

Yes that is true, but there will be times when you want to connect to the Pi and manage it.
Doug
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:57 pm

You can connect to the Pi and managed it by either:

a) Provisioning a monitor, keyboard and mouse
b) Installing and enabling VNC (or equivalent), and remoting into the Pi desktop environment over the network

or

c) Enabling SSH and using SSH to remote in the Pi command line environment.

A and B are completely equivalent. C is more than capable of doing anything that needs to be done.

All of this assumes you have the requisite Linux knowledge to manage the Pi, of course.
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:13 pm

Here's a link to a good article about installing and using, VNC.
https://magpi.raspberrypi.com/articles/vnc-raspberry-pi

James
WD5GWY

Return to “G2 Operating System & Applications”