Monitor Recommendations

Post your awesome projects here for everyone to marvel at!
AndrewK

Monitor Recommendations

Postby AndrewK » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:48 pm

Hi, at the moment using an old Samsung 28" low resolution LCD monitor as I find it cleaner than my later HP and Dell LED monitors.

Any recommendations for 24 - 28" monitors much appreciated.

Cheers Andrew
w-u-2-o

Re: Monitor Recommendations

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:03 pm

Get a good quality 4K monitor. Even better, get two of them. No specific recommendations, there are tons of good ones out there. You don't need a gaming monitor, i.e. it's very unlikely you will be able to run the spectral display faster than 30Hz on most machines, and definitely not faster than 60Hz. So no need for a 120Hz monitor.
AndrewK

Postby AndrewK » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:51 am

Thanks Scott, before I got the 7000DLE I thought I had good monitors HP Z27n and Dell P231H.
But now I have discovered that the very old LCD monitor is cleaner.

The choice in monitors is so large now researching can be a very time consuming process.
Hopefully some one will recommend a specific model, if not will stick to the major brands and ignore the gaming ones.

Andrew
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:27 pm

Andrew,

I just use a 40-inch 4K TV as a monitor, given that I'm only using 30 Hz refresh I certainly don't need a high speed monitor, and TVs are much less expensive than monitors.

Mark
kknickelson

Postby kknickelson » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:16 am

I'm using a 34" curved 4K monitor.
Really like it.
Might want to take a look.

Kevin
W0XA
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:26 pm

I have and like my twin 27" curved Samsung monitors. They are 60Hz and have very good resolution. They are not 4K. They do have 4K available.
Ruben
NB4R
Apache-Labs Anan 7000DLE MKII Black -- Thetis 2.10.3.6 dev_2 -- Windows 11
AndrewK

Postby AndrewK » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:32 pm

Thanks for your replies.

Mark, at the moment I have all of my radio gear in a carcase of an old upright piano, I tried a 40" TV on the top shelf and found it too big as I am too close. I think 32" screen size is my upper end and will look at the TV options.

Kevin and rbduck , what are your model numbers?

I came across a local online auction site, BenQ 32" 4K EW 3280U Entertainment Monitor went for a very good price. I like the reviews so will keep an eye out for the next batch.
BenQ SW2700PT Photo Editing Monitor also looked very good.

Cheers Andrew
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:22 pm

AndrewK wrote:Thanks for your replies.

Mark, at the moment I have all of my radio gear in a carcase of an old upright piano, I tried a 40" TV on the top shelf and found it too big as I am too close. I think 32" screen size is my upper end and will look at the TV options.

Kevin and rbduck , what are your model numbers?

I came across a local online auction site, BenQ 32" 4K EW 3280U Entertainment Monitor went for a very good price. I like the reviews so will keep an eye out for the next batch.
BenQ SW2700PT Photo Editing Monitor also looked very good.

Cheers Andrew

Hi Andrew,
The model number of my monitors is C27F396FHN by Samsung. I paid $149.00 each for them at Walmart. Samsung also makes the same size curved monitor with about twice the resolution for three times the price. The monitors have good resolution and are very clear with good color depth. They are great for my uses. I think they cost slightly more now. I purchased mine in early 2020.
Ruben
NB4R
KA5KKT

Postby KA5KKT » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:54 pm

Ever the contrarian, I don't seek an immersive video experience. I'm a generalist operator, but do enjoy the bells and whistles, especially diversity.

I recently got a 2k 11.6" monitor in an aluminum frame for a sub-$100 price from the Bay. It sits to the upper left of my main display. This allows me to have keep my productivity work on my main screen and Thetis isn't ever covered up on the smaller display. The 2nd screen which sits to the upper left is mostly dedicated. I use it also for Broadcast TV viewing (not much) on WinTV and for viewing Amazon Prime Video. As a bonus, it supports High Definition Color which my main monitor doesn't.

The audio side is a bit more immersive. It features an external A/V SS receiver with a full compliment of bookshelf speakers and sub-woofer. All my audio passes through Nahimic High Definition sound processing via onboard sound card.
AndrewK

Postby AndrewK » Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:55 am

Ruben, thanks for the model number.

Attached are screen shots showing the difference between the LCD and LED monitors tried so far.

In addition to the HP and Dell monitors mentioned I tried friends LG29UM67-P and Samsung SE790C , these are similar or verse than the Dell shown in the screen shot.
Clamp on ferrite's have not helped.

Andrew

LCD only.png
LCD only.png (456.26 KiB) Viewed 11367 times
LCD & LED Monitor ON.png
LCD & LED Monitor ON.png (543.7 KiB) Viewed 11367 times
AG5CK

Postby AG5CK » Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:02 pm

I can't remember his callsign but I remember a guy talking about rfi trouble from his monitors. He opened them up and found the internal power supply was 12 volts DC. He disconnected it and powered the monitors from his shack power supply.
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:38 pm

Post by AG5CK » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:02 am

I can't remember his callsign but I remember a guy talking about rfi trouble from his monitors. He opened them up and found the internal power supply was 12 volts DC. He disconnected it and powered the monitors from his shack power supply.

When I connected my two monitors I had trouble with RFI n the screen. I looked at the external power supplies and yes, they were 12 volts DC. I cut the external transformers off and connected them directly to the shack PS. No more RFI.

EDIT: I have to clarify something I said that is sort of contradicted in the nest post. I just stated I have no RFI after connecting to the shack PS. I did and still have noise on 20 meters. before the change I had noise on all bands. The change improved 20 meters, but did not eliminate the lines. Some days they are almost nonexistent. The change eliminated the RFI on all other bands.
Last edited by rbduck on Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruben
NB4R
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:48 pm

AndrewK wrote:Ruben, thanks for the model number.

Attached are screen shots showing the difference between the LCD and LED monitors tried so far.

In addition to the HP and Dell monitors mentioned I tried friends LG29UM67-P and Samsung SE790C , these are similar or verse than the Dell shown in the screen shot.
Clamp on ferrite's have not helped.

Andrew

LCD only.pngLCD & LED Monitor ON.png

Hello Andrew,

Wow big difference between the top and bottom monitor. Were these shots made close together? I pick up a good bit of noise on 20 meters also. That is the only band I see these lines on. I have seen shots of others on 20 meters and all of them contain those noise lines on 20 meters. The on you have there is the first I have seen without them.
Ruben
NB4R
AndrewK

Postby AndrewK » Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:45 pm

Hi Ruben, screen shots were taken close together, 20m and 10m seem to be the most affected.
So far between my self and a friend have tried 6 LED monitors all have the problem on 20m, this is why I ask for specific models that are clean otherwise buying anything is pure pot luck and most likely will be disappointed.

I don't really desire higher resolution for radio use but do for everything else.

Looks like it may be worth while choosing a new monitor that has an external PS for the simplicity of powering it from the radio PS if need be.

Kevin, what is the brand and model number of your monitor?

Cheers
Andrew
AndrewK

Postby AndrewK » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:23 am

UPDATE

I ended up getting a BenQ 2700U 4K monitor, very nice but unfortunately still the same problem on 20m.

Should have gone for a monitor with an external 12V power supply.
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:30 pm

AndrewK wrote:UPDATE

I ended up getting a BenQ 2700U 4K monitor, very nice but unfortunately still the same problem on 20m.

Should have gone for a monitor with an external 12V power supply.

Hi Andrew,

I'm glad to see you found a monitor. As far as those lines on 20 meters, I think I said in an earlier post, I have always had those lines. I have ferrites on every wire I can find and it has not changed them. When I first purchased the monitors I had lines on just about every band. I put a ferrite on the power between the Power Supply and the transceiver and all lines disappeared except on 20 meters. Sometimes the lines on 20 m are worse than other times. The strange thing is that I can tune to any one of those lines and there is absolutely no audible noise. They have never interfered with any reception. I've never had lines on 10 meters.

I know you have been looking for a monitor for a period of time. Enjoy and have a great time with your new monitor!
Ruben
NB4R
AndrewK

Postby AndrewK » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:20 pm

Hi Ruben, most of the time I don't need to have the new monitor on when using the radio.
A few years ago I tried giving away the old LCD monitor, I sure am glad that it did not go.

Also recently put up a 3 element 20m beam, the lines are much less noticeable when on the beam antenna.

Cheers Andrew
Martinb

Postby Martinb » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:39 am

Good day,
I have a different question as it was discussed before but it seems to be the only place were monitors are being discussed in this Forum.
in the description of the ANAN 7000 with embedded computer I fond the following remark in description "Capable of driving three full HD monitors, ideal for digital modes". The photo on the from the back side only shows one HDMI Port which than supports one of the three Monitor. how to connect the other two?

Martin
DL5DS
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:24 pm

To add more than one monitor to a CPU-equipped 7000 you would have to use USB display adapters.

The part number for the Intel NUC embedded PC that was in the first units can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2983

You can find the specs for that part number online. It is reasonable to assume any new units would use a similar embedded PC.
K8EZB

Postby K8EZB » Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:12 pm

I am using two LG 34WN80C-B 34 in. curved "Ultra Wide" (21:9 aspect ratio) hi res monitors (3440x1440) stacked vertically and treated by Win10 as a single screen. These provide lots of screen real estate and use DP connections to an Asus/Intel i5 10500 processor with Intel onboard UHD 630 graphics (2xDP, 1xHDMI, 1x VGA). Still working through optimum screen layouts. The image below shows the current layout. The upper half is used for logging and other apps which are useful but not directly related to station control; the lower half is used for the main transceiver window and four station control related apps which support remote operation. A bit busy at present but will do some work to simplify this in the fullness of time.

Rick
K8EZB

screemshot.061123.PNG
screemshot.061123.PNG (1.46 MiB) Viewed 3052 times

Return to “PC's & Homebrew Hardware”