TAPR Hermes/AN10

Post your awesome projects here for everyone to marvel at!
N5BRG

TAPR Hermes/AN10

Postby N5BRG » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:09 am

TAPR Hermes Board Bring-up

After working on it for a few days I got the TAPR Hermes board working today with Protocol 2 and Thetis v2.6.8 (11/3/19).

I had to load the firmware in the Hermes board. Had problems doing this;
Tried to load the version 10.3 code first using HPSDRProgrammer_V2_nopcap. Could not communicate with board after this.
Used Bit blaster to load the Bootloader and re-established communications with board.
Then I used HPSDRBootloader to load Firmware 10.3.
All of the above was done with Windows 10 and the Network interface set for manual 10.0.0.1 with no gateway.

Loaded Thetis into PC1, Windows 10 Pro with an intel i7 950 @ 3.07 GHz and 24 GB memory.
Using most current Version 1903 at the time. When I ran Thetis, it gives me the banner page and then the page goes away and Thetis does not execute. Thetis is not listed in active processes.

Next I loaded Thetis on PC2, a Slate Windows 10 Pro with an intel i5-6300U CPU @ 2.40GHz with 8 GB of memory. Using most current Windows distribution Version 1903. Thetis comes up and generates the FFT table and then it runs.

I was able to interface with Hermes and turn on the receiver and copy signals. Have not tried to transmit yet but I think that will work.

Next I updated the Firmware in Hermes to 10.7 and this is working fine.

I have limited the on time not to allow too much heating.

Measure current from my 12-volt power source with the following results:

Hermes running with J12 set Bootloader mode 300 mA
Hermes running in version 10.3 No Thetis 560 mA with Thetis 560 mA
Hermes running in version 10.7 No Thetis 770 mA with Thetis 840 mA

My Plans:

Install the Hermes board in a larger box and include a fan for cooling.
Install a dedicated power supply – probably 5V only.
May lift the LT1529 Regulator up vertically and add a heatsink with fins if I leave it in play.
Add a relay in the box to do T/R switching.
Add a MIDI connector and get a MIDI interface.
Add a connector to support IF interface to microwave radios.
Find the issue and get PC1 working with Thetis.
Add a dedicated networking card to PC1 and just use it with Hermes.
Add the virtual serial code and get the HRD logging working.
Add needed interface to Stepper antenna controller. Maybe just a CAT interface off
Hermes.
Add power AMP to box.

Questions:

I would welcome comments/warnings about issues I may run into using the older TAPR board.
Any comments about how to debug the problem with Thetis dropping out on PC1? Is there a debug option to turn on and a log file? Have not looked for this yet. I think the source is there so I could start to do my own debug builds but that will be a time sink.

Bob N5BRG

If this is not the best place to post this please move it or let me know.
w-u-2-o

Re: TAPR Hermes/AN10

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:42 pm

Home brew hardware topic, not firmware topic.

Return to “PC's & Homebrew Hardware”