O/S on SSD or HDD?

Post your awesome projects here for everyone to marvel at!
NI2M

O/S on SSD or HDD?

Postby NI2M » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:00 pm

I haven't purchased a new PC for several years, but I am contemplating getting one (multi-core i7 processor) within the next few weeks. This Forum is absolutely great and I need to spend more time poking around as well for answers that can be found by doing the "leg-work" oneself rather than having you fellows provide suggestions on these issues :roll: !

Some VERY basic questions below, but I want to pose them any way.

Q1: New desk-top or workstation caliber machines boast both SSD and HDD storage media. Will the Operating System (O/S) reside on the SSD by default? I know that one can port the O/S to SSD through cloning the HDD first, but I would rather not mess with that. I would prefer the O/S is on the SSD, not HDD and I don't know if I can make this assumption.
Q2: Ethernet speed is obviously KEY to operating SDR unless one goes for the new ANAN 7000DLE Mk2 with the PC basically incorporated. What would be a "reasonable" Ethernet speed you recommend?
Q3: Number of displays that one wants to plug in is another. I see that some of the newer machines boast "dual display support", but I am not exactly sure what that means? My 'el cheapo' dual-core i5 lap-top can have the built-in display "cloned" to an external display which I am availing myself of right now, but I would likely have 3 displays operating at once with any new PC that I acquire. Does that suggest the specs say "tri-display support?"

NOTE that I rely heavily on a PC for audio processing (I use Live Professor 2, a VST Host that has worked well for me and a plethora of VST 64 bit plug-ins). The Audio/USB Interface I use features a USB 2.0 port as well which is definitely not helping so another interface that has USB 3.0 in it is the other thing that I will be purchasing. I know there are other devices that are even faster but at this stage I am not going to splurge more than I absolutely need.

Awaiting your suggestions!

Juha
- NI2M
w-u-2-o

Re: O/S on SSD or HDD?

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:02 pm

The OS goes on the SSD by default. Large capacity HDDs are so cheap they are just flashy give-aways now. If you can get a better deal on a PC without an extra HDD do that and put in a second SSD later. Or, even better, invest in a NAS for your bulk storage and back-up needs.

Ethernet speeds: it would be hard to find a new PC that does not have a GigE (1Gbit/s) NIC. That's not reasonable or unreasonable, it's just the standard. There is 10G technology available but it remains somewhat specialized. At any rate, GigE is required to interface with ANAN hardware running Protocol 2 firmware. It will not run at any other speed, the ANAN hardware interfaces are fixed at 1Gbit/s under Protocol 2. You might, however, consider dual NICs, which can be useful in some circumstances.

As for displays, IMHO more is better. I run three display, each 4K resolution. If you are buying a desktop machine you'll have slots you can put a wide variety of GPU cards in. If you are buying a laptop with USB3.0 and/or Thunderbolt interfaces so you can use an external GPU unit. Whatever GPU you buy, my recommendation is that you get one with Displayport output, and standardize on monitors that support Displayport technology. After that it's simply a matter of identifying a GPU that can run the number and type of displays you want.

You'll want USB3.0 and/or Thunderbolt for your audio devices, too.
NI2M

Postby NI2M » Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:42 pm

Hi Scott!

Thank you for your response and the very consistent support you provide!

I am looking at getting a hexa-core i7 machine. One has a 1TB SSD (no HDD at all) and the other comes with one 512GB SSD and 1TB HDD. So, the former might work if I can add another SSD later. Motherboard is a "Rother" (never heard of it, but ASUS I have heard of, but would likely hike the price-tag) and it supports the H370 Chipset. They both have several USB3.0 ports and also a USB3.1 port.

OK on Ethernet speed.

Displays:
The machines I am looking at sport the usual HDMI and VGA (one/each) ports so from what you were writing I would need to make sure that the motherboard would be compatible with adding a GPU with DisplayPort(s) to support - say - three 4K Displays. The way these rather "inexpensive" desktops seem to be configured is that they have HDMI and VGA ports. If I can a GPU at some stage would help. Again, only if the motherboard (and chipset?) would would adding the GPU, right?

The desk-top machines I am looking at have the Intel UHD 630 Graphics card in them, but I thought that the graphics processing is actually integrated into the i7 CPU.

Best!
Juha
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:30 pm

Many Intel processor do contain integrated graphics:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... ssors.html

The UHD 630 graphics processor is quite capable, but the number of monitors supported definitely varies depending upon the specific motherboard implementation:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... s-630.html

Your best results with motherboard integrated graphics will most likely be with a motherboard that provides a DisplayPort (DP) output.
NI2M

Postby NI2M » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:24 pm

Thanks Scott!

Will visit a local store that hopefully has people who can answer technical questions. I have looked at products available at on-line merchant and it doesn't provide any technical support at all which is odd. They would do better if they did. Perhaps they are are afraid of liability and don't want to assume any responsibility for giving "incorrect" information although it is "Buyer beware" in any case.

Best!
Juha
- NI2M
NI2M

Postby NI2M » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:40 am

Scott,

I stumbled on this page today, which talks about "Alt Mode" and using a USB-C Port to carry a DP signal.
https://blog.startech.com/post/tech-tal ... -alt-mode/

Best!
Juha
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:00 pm

Never heard of it.

Have heard of this:

https://windowsreport.com/usb-c-external-gpu/

Return to “PC's & Homebrew Hardware”