Videocard???

Post your awesome projects here for everyone to marvel at!
Aivars

Videocard???

Postby Aivars » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:26 pm

Hello! I'm on the way to build new computer, and I must suggest which GPU prefer. I'm not going to look on Radeon cards, because there are not any preferences. That left GeForce cards for CUDA usage. As from AD0ES lowest card are GTX750Ti. What could be the cheapest one to use with HPSDR without major flaw on performance?
My system will look like: AMD Ryzen 1600, 2x8gb RAM, SSD M.2 NVME. Not decided about MoBo, because there are not mITX boards on market yet.
YL2GVC 73!
Tony EI7BMB

Re: Videocard???

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:04 pm

750TI works fine for HPSDR although as far as I know only SDR Console uses CUDA core. I think the GTX 950 is good value for the price if you want to use SDR console in the future.
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:43 pm

I build my own systems primarily for online gaming. When my gaming computer can no longer keep up with the demands of new games I move it over to my ham station where it assumes the task of running all my SDR programs and then I build a new fire breathing gaming computer. The computer I am using now to run my ANAN is a system I built back in 2011. It uses a very capable (but obsolete for gaming) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti graphics card that handles OpenHPSDR mRX PS, SDR Console, SDRuno, Zeus Radio, SDR-Sharp, and CuSDR effortlessly and even 2 or more of them simultaneously. Seriously, I have not found an SDR program that challenges pretty much any low-end gaming video card. I think that a GTX 750 Ti will have absolutely no problem at all with whatever you throw at it with any SDR platform.

Rob W1AEX
"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."
Aivars

Postby Aivars » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:04 pm

I would ad small comment ;) Now CUDA cards or any other are almost useless for us, but I guess support are coming ;) Am I wrong? Otherwise I can ad absolutely cheap one at a moment ;)
YL2GVC 73!
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:22 am

Only SDR Console, which is in beta for Apache radios right now, supports CUDA, and Simon, the author, will be the first to tell you that CUDA support is by no means necessary for satisfactory performance.

In other words, don't go out of your way right now to add CUDA support to your setup.
Simon

Postby Simon » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:28 am

w-u-2-o wrote:Only SDR Console, which is in beta for Apache radios right now, supports CUDA, and Simon, the author, will be the first to tell you that CUDA support is by no means necessary for satisfactory performance.

In other words, don't go out of your way right now to add CUDA support to your setup.

There's much more to a video card than CUDA support. I use DirectX graphics, any software using DirectX or OpenGL will benefit from the acceleration provided by a graphics card.
sdr-radio.com
therealboss

Postby therealboss » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:02 am

I have a Radeon RX470, I don't think PowerSDR pushes the Graphics card at all, I think memory and CPU are more important, also a good fast HDD.

My PC is for my radio only, running PowerSDR, HRD & JT65-HF

My system is a i7-6800K CPU @ 3.80GHz
64GB Fast Ram
Samsung 850 Evo SSD
Simon

Postby Simon » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:16 am

therealboss wrote:I have a Radeon RX470, I don't think PowerSDR pushes the Graphics card at all, I think memory and CPU are more important, also a good fast HDD.

My PC is for my radio only, running PowerSDR, HRD & JT65-HF

My system is a i7-6800K CPU @ 3.80GHz
64GB Fast Ram
Samsung 850 Evo SSD

Last time I looked at the PowerSDR code it wasn't using OpenGL / DirectX, so will not make use of hardware-accelerated graphics.
sdr-radio.com
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:01 pm

Gent's: moved this thread to the PC sub-forum. See also some of the other threads in this sub-forum about what other people have built/are building.

I used a GTX 1070ti card in my current build. Last generation, but still a top performer. It seemed like a good trade-off. My system is definitely faster overall even though PowerSDR doesn't make use of that power. But the overall experience is just a lot nicer and more comfortable. My system has also been superbly stable in terms of both latency and OS performance with the latest Nvidia drivers, much more so than with my previous AMD R7 series GPU. And of course there are those CUDA cores available for future use (but not necessary right now).

Scott
Phil-VK6PH

Postby Phil-VK6PH » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:22 am

I just added a GTX1050 Ti video card so I could test Steve, AD0ES, Direct Fourier Conversion (DFC) code and Simon's support for the ANAN 8000DLE.

Works very well and at under AU$200.00 good value.

73 Phil...VK6PH

Return to “PC's & Homebrew Hardware”