New PC Build: now UPDATED with overclocking performance

Post your awesome projects here for everyone to marvel at!
Simon

Re: New PC Build: now UPDATED with overclocking performance

Postby Simon » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:32 am

One thing I do with new PCs is run one of the many utilities which sets the CPU to 100% load for ten minutes, this way you see how good the cooling really is.

My default for CPU cooling is water, GPU is fans but the fans always run, even if at just 25%.
sdr-radio.com
w-u-2-o

Re: New PC Build: now UPDATED with overclocking performance

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:26 pm

UPDATE:

It's now been a little over 6 months since I built my PC. Recently I started to have frequent blue screens. By the way, if you have never used Windows Reliability Monitor, this little known built-in feature of Windows is really great. There are a variety of dump file analysis tools that you can download also. These will help translate those obscure error codes into plain English.

Anyhow, the error codes on the blue screen dumps were all hardware related, which is a flare-lit tip-off that my overclocking is too aggressive. I was running at 5GHz. I backed that off to 4.8GHz and now the system has been ROCK solid for a month.

I can't believe it's time to re-apply thermal compound, but a bit of degradation in the thermal performance of the build is the only thing I can think of that might be responsible for this. I think I'll wait on this, and until and unless this starts happening again and I have to back off the clock rate further, I'm going to be lazy and not worry about it.

73!

Scott

Return to “PC's & Homebrew Hardware”