Dual transverters possible?

neoklis

Dual transverters possible?

Postby neoklis » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:04 am

Hi all

I am disappointed with the state of ham radio on HF (everyone, or almost, seems to be on FT8) so I am thinking of trying my hand again with amateur radio satellites. In the past I was on them with an FT847 rig, but I now have the 7000DLE so I am wondering if dual-transverter, full duplex, transmit-receive is possible with the 7000-DLE MkII. I am using my own home-brew (simple) Linux client for the 7k so if special features are needed for this, I may just be able to write them.

Has anyone tried satellite communications with ANAN gear?

My thanks in advance for replies.
N9SSW

Re: Dual transverters possible?

Postby N9SSW » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:10 am

I am trying to figure this out myself.

Im in the market for a transverter(s) just not sure what to do\buy.... do I need one or can I use 2?

If I understand correctly the 7000 and 8000 (I have an 8000) both have two ADC's configured.

One ADC1\RX1 I believe is connected to the ant1/2/3 jacks and the other ADC is connected to the ADC2\RX2 BNC jack on the back of the radio.

I may be off base here but I am wondering if one transverter could be connected to the ant1/2/3 so239 jack(s) (as RX1) and operated with the PA disabled into Transverter #1 say the UHF XVTR and then the ADC2\RX2 BNC jack connected to Transverter #2 say the VHF transverter. using the XVTR BNC either switched between the two transverters or split with a BNC T to drive the TX on whichever of the two transverters is receiving a PTT ground from the radio based on VFO band selection. It's unfortunate there does not seem to be a lot of good info available about Apache labs radios and transverters. I have been researching this for several months and nobody seems to really provide much info that I can find... Suppose I could buy two cheap Ukranian transverters and play with it, but I am looking at Q5 Signal transverters since they have built in high power PA's but I really am afraid to spend $2000+ on two transverters and not be able to accomplish what I want to accomplish. Seems the Flex 6600 was built with this in mind and has two transverter ports and two RX1\RX2 BNC ports. I have seen youtube video of a Flex 6600 running full duplex.... If a Flex can do this an Apache Labs rig surely can pull this off somehow too right????

Nick

Return to “Transverters”