ANAN 200D with Transverter

g7pvs

ANAN 200D with Transverter

Postby g7pvs » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:59 pm

Hi,
I thought I'd transfer this over from the email system as I would still like to know if it is possible to get it sorted (I've removed email addresses to avoid SPAMBOTS):

Hi,
On the General tab, I selected the Ant/Filters tab, then on the Antenna tab I ticked the XVTR box next to 10m.
What I had previously expected was for only the XVTR signal to be routed through to ADC1 when I selected a XVTR frequency, I wasn't sure how selecting the XVTR box for 10m would help, but figured I'd try it anyway.
I'm unsure what benefit there could be in leaving the main antenna inputs connected to ADC1 when a XVTR input frequency is selected, but I'm still quite new to using SDR radio.
Although not ideal I figured that as RX2 is only routed to ADC2 that was what I had to use unless I wanted to unplug or use an external switch for the HF antenna every time I wanted to change over to 4m.

73 Trev (G7PVS)

On 09/04/17 13:50, [apache-labs] wrote:
>
> Hi Trev...Did you check 10m or the band you wish to use in the xvtr box in the Antenna control ??? Samuel
>

> From: "Trev"
> Sent: Sunday, April 9, 2017 8:38 AM
> Subject: [apache-labs] ANAN 200D with Transverter
>
>
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'd be grateful if it could be confirmed whether the behaviour of my
> radio/software is as it should be or if I've got some settings wrong.
>
> I'm using OpenHPSDR mRX v3.3.9 (6/15/16) and the ANAN Address detail is
> shown as :
>
> ID:Orion, ver: 4.3, (This is as supplied)
>
> I have my HF antenna connected to 'ANT 1'.
>
> I initially connected my transverter to 'XVTR RX', 'XVTR TX' and 'PTT OUT'.
>
> With these connections I added in the the xvtr settings, but when I
> selected 4m I got a mix of the input from 'ANT1' and 'XVTR RX' on the
> panadapter.
>
> I therefore changed the physical connection from 'XVTR RX' to 'RX2'.
>
> Now with RX2 enabled I can switch between 4m on VFO B and HF on VFO A
> enabling VAC1 or VAC2 for the audio. With VAC1 disabled, VAC2 enabled
> and with VFO B set to 4m the audio out is distorted, however simply
> selecting VFO B TX (top right) clears the distortion.
>
> If I then transmit using VFO B even though the PA is disabled in the
> xvtr settings I'm getting full power out of 'ANT 1' as well as the
> output from 'XVTR TX', to turn the output off I also need select 4m on
> VFO A, the frequency of transmission is on the frequency selected by VFO
> B, but the PA enabled seems to be determined by VFO A.
>
> With both VFO A and VFO B on 4m 'VFOB Band' (bottom left) shows 40m (not
> even the tranverter input band).
>
> I'm currently using the PC speaker and a mic plugged into the PC -
> although I'm not sure if it is relevant the PC is a Panasonic CF-31
> Toughbook running Windows 7 (64 bit).
>
> 73 Trev (G7PVS)
g7pvs

Re: ANAN 200D with Transverter

Postby g7pvs » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:02 am

Hi Again,

If I switch VFOA between 70MHz and 28MHz (should be the same frequency) with my HF antenna connected to ANT 1 and my transverter connected to RX2 (nothing connected to XVTR RX), with 70MHz selected although attenuated I'm still getting the 28MHz signals on VFOA.

This is with XVTR tick box selected next to 10m on antenna tab and in XVTR setup I've ticked 'XVTR RF TX' and 'Disable PA'.

On the antenna tab if I select ANT 2 for 10m, then the attenuated 28MHz signal present when 70MHz is selected almost completely disappears.

Is this what is intended to happen and if not is it common to all 200D radios?

73 Trev (G7PVS)
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:11 pm

Hi Trev , I'm also interested in this as I plan to get a 4m xtvr . Like you i'm seeing the ANT1 signal coming through when 4m is selected , thought this should be completely dead as there is nothing connected to xvtr port yet. Using Anan 100, my guess is I'm missing some setting or checkbox.
VK4OX

Postby VK4OX » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:54 am

Hello All,
This is my first ever post.

My name is Adrian and I am an avid VHF/UHF/SHF-er. I bought a new Anan 200D back in January this year, my first experience with SDR, although I have been following the technology via QEX magazine..

Prior to this, (since 1981), I have been using Japan Radio Corp NRD515 rx and NSD515 tx as my 28-30MHz IF for ALL my VHF/UHF/SHF activity. This has been fantastic gear but, sadly, it s just about worn out. My new 200D is my first new radio in over 30 years! How technology has changed.

I thought the 200D would more or less just drop into my present system, and so it has. I have four transverters that are directly driven from 28-30MHz... 70MHz, 144MHz, 145MHz and 432MHz. Each has separate rx and tx ports on the input and output. On tx, I split the 28MHz into 4 with a Minicircuits 4 way splitter and drive each transverter with about 2.5mW. Each transverter has a gain pot, so any drive level between 1mW and about 1W is manageable. On receive I use a 4 way coax switch to select each transverter rx port. The 145MHz transverter is specially built, (home made), and has eight, (8), channels of tx output, about 50mW each. This transverter drives all the higher band transverters, 1296MHz to 10368MHz. (That's as high as i go so far but there is room for more).

I was a bit concerned when I started hearing comments that the Transverter output from the 200D was only 1mW. When I split that into 4, it would not be enough to drive each transverter, however, I had no trouble adjusting the 200D transverter output to 10mW (or more). I've attached screenshots of my relevant settings. Note the PA Gain settings for the VHF bands. Gain around 50dB produce output on the transverter tx port around 1mW. Gain around 40dB produce about 10mW out. Max out is 38.8dB which produced about 13mW.

To make the 200D frequency read correctly, the frequency offset must be set assuming 28-30MHz e.g 1296-28 = 1268MHz etc. even though it is 145-147MHz on all bands above 432MHz.

I hope this may be helpful.

73, Adrian. VK4OX.

ps. An extra screenshot of how I got the 200D TVR rx input port to accept 28-30MHz from the 144MHz Transverter. Note Disable Bypass tickbox ticked and the 10m XVTR tickbox also ticked.
Attachments
Anan 200D Antennas and Filters Set Up for Transverter.png
Anan 200D Antennas and Filters Set Up for Transverter.png (589.67 KiB) Viewed 15003 times
Anan 200D Transverter Set-Up.png
Anan 200D Transverter Set-Up.png (250.8 KiB) Viewed 15031 times
Anan-200D PA Settings for Transverter Set-Up.png
Anan-200D PA Settings for Transverter Set-Up.png (118.23 KiB) Viewed 15031 times
VK4OX

Postby VK4OX » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:12 am

Hi again,
Further to my previous post, I have been experimenting with the front panel Drive Slider. With the PA Gain set to max (38.8dB) on VHF bands (PA disabled) and the Drive Slider also set to max, I can get 25mW out of the 200D "XVTR Out" port on "Tune". The Drive Slider controls the output from 25mW right down to zero. With my "normal" setting of PA Gain 39.7, the Drive Slider can control XVTR port output from zero to about 21mW, so setting the PA Gain on VHF bands to 40dB should provide 0-20mW out on the 200D XVTR port, controlled via Drive Slider on the front panel.

73, Adrian, VK4OX.
FM5GB

Postby FM5GB » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:14 pm

Hi Adrian !

I have an ANAN 200D (rev 16 PA board) and am struggling with the Power Out of the transverter "XVTR out".
During transmit I can easily increase the output power to 0 dBm and more but I am absolutely unable to disable
the 100 W PA what ever I do.
This is not surprising when I look to the PA schematics : the transmit Input is always physically connected to the PA driver
with no possibility to disconnect it. The WVTR out is simply picked up on this connection via a resistive splitter.
No matter if I check the Disable PA box in the XVTR Setup menu folder.
So when I set my XVTR output to 0 dBm I have an HF output of more than 60 W on 28 MHz from the PA into a dummy load
which is not acceptable especially when I transmit JT65 on 10 GHz

BTW the different PA revisions ( 15, 16 & 24) have all the same TX input circuitry.

So how did you solve this ?
I'm planning to disconnect this input and feed it directly to the tranverter via a coax relay. But this is quite annoying .

73s Phil FM5GB
FM5GB

Postby FM5GB » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:12 pm

Addendum

When I reinstall PowerSDRmrx & reflash protocol 1 FW things work flawlessly :
when checking PA inhibit box on Xvtr setting page there is no power output from the PA.
Returning to Thetis-FW 1.8 (protocol 2) brings the issue back.

Probably a bug in Thetis or in the protocol 2 FW.

73s Phil FM5GB

Return to “Transverters”