VSPE, which is a good one to download

A place to discuss and exchange ideas on all types of control surfaces for PowerSDR and Thetis.
HC5DX

VSPE, which is a good one to download

Postby HC5DX » Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:36 pm

Hello all,
I have an Anan 7000DLE MKII, love it,
BUT, in order to get my Palstar AT-AUTO to follow bands/freq, I need to plug in my SR232 cable into the AT-AUTO and the other end into my computer using a USB with chip. Some told me that it's best to use a VSPE.. my question is where do I get it, which one is best to use and do I assign any port number to it, ( or does it do that by it's self?)
Thx

Anan 7000DLE MKII
OM2000A+
Mercury III
Flex 6500
ICOM 7610
I love Ham Radio
K1LSB

Re: VSPE, which is a good one to download

Postby K1LSB » Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:10 pm

I've been using K5FR's VSP Manager for years on multiple computers and Windows versions, it's always worked like a firehose for me.

It's only available from him, send him an email (he's good on QRZ).

It's important to follow the installation and user instructions faithfully.

Mark
w-u-2-o

Re: VSPE, which is a good one to download

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:04 pm

If you are connecting a tuner (or any hardware device) to the PC using RS232 serial communications and want it to communicate with Thetis, no "VSPE" is necessary. Merely assign the correct COM port in Thetis (Setup > Serial/Network/Midi/CAT > Serial).

If you need to make a connection between a piece of software that expects RS232 serial communications and Thetis, then you need virtual serial port software of some kind (aka virtual com port aka virtual serial cable, etc.). The three most popular are:

com0com
K5FR VSPM (virtual serial port manager)
Eterlogic VSPE

IMHO, Eterlogic VSPE is the most stable and capable of the three, but it does cost a little money. https://eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html

I would choose com0com second after that, and VSPM last as I've had a lot of trouble with it operating in a stable fashion. It will often leave COM ports (real or virtual) locked up thereby requiring a reboot.

Return to “Macro & MIDI Controller Software, Hardware & Scripts”