Slowing Wheel Tuning Speed

A place to discuss and exchange ideas on all types of control surfaces for PowerSDR and Thetis.
w3ub

Slowing Wheel Tuning Speed

Postby w3ub » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:33 pm

Using an Anan-7000 DLE Mk II, Thetis 2.8.11, Hercules DJControl Compact.

I have the main VFO tuning on the left wheel, but want to slow down how fast the frequency changes. The MIDI Wheel updates/step min and max settings seem to have no impact.

Is there some other way to accomplish this?

Thanks,
/Doug
w-u-2-o

Re: Slowing Wheel Tuning Speed

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:03 am

Unfortunately I am far away from my rig this week so it is difficult to provide specific advice. However, those features you say have no effect should work. Perhaps there is some bug that is preventing this in Thetis 2.8.11, I will have to check when I get back later this week. Maybe someone else could test this for us.

That said, in addition to those controls there are also MIDI commands for tune speed up and down (faster and slower). That may not be the right name for them (again I am away from my station so can't check). I have them programmed onto two buttons on my MIDI controller so that I can adjust the sensitivity of the wheel I use for tuning and they work great.

Finally, there are also MIDI commands to adjust the tune step size, or you can use the mouse to adjust it on the main console.
w3ub

Postby w3ub » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:54 pm

Thanks Scott, When you get back please share your methods of controlling the wheel speed. Perhaps I don't quite get the Min/Max options, but they don't seem to work for me. I would be interested to understand the MIDI commands that might also impact this.

I have been testing it with a fixed 500 Hz step for SSB. I want the step fixed, but I want more rotation before each step occurs.

Another thought for the developers, long term, it would be "nice" to be able to reverse the sense of a knob or slider, it would be easy to do that I think.

/Doug
k8pz

Postby k8pz » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:04 pm

Hi Doug,
Wheel sensitivity can be controlled by the 'Wheel Sensitivity High/Low Toggle' from the button command list. I have it assigned to a button below one of the tuning wheels on my DJControl. It affects both VFO wheels.
Steve ..
w3ub

Postby w3ub » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:13 pm

Ahhhh! Got it. I don't think I ever scrolled down so far and noticed all of those options at the bottom.
I would still like to understand (the engineer in me) why the MIDI updates/step control does not seem to affect things.

Thanks!
/Doug
w3ub

Postby w3ub » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:16 pm

Well, I guess I finally got it. If (and only if) you have the wheel speed toggled, then (and only then) does the Min/Max steps come into play. Very nice, just not intuitive on the setup, but works great.

Thanks again,
/Doug
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:42 pm

OK, finally made it back to the radio, but it seems you've got it sorted out, Doug, so that's great.

I will add that there is another option to control wheel sensitivity, and that is to program a couple of buttons on your MIDI controller that invoke the "Decrease wheel rotation per VFO tune step" and "Increase wheel rotation per VFO tune step" commands. With those two buttons programmed, and the toggle button programmed, you can achieve a wide range of VFO tuning speeds, not just toggle between the max and the min settings.
N4XD

Postby N4XD » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:50 pm

Same issue but not for VFO but for rit. RIT steps too far and too quickly when assigning a knob to it. Using DJ control compact.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:20 pm

N4XD wrote:Same issue but not for VFO but for rit. RIT steps too far and too quickly when assigning a knob to it. Using DJ control compact.

You get 20Hz increments per MIDI step. It is not currently adjustable. Don't know why it got implemented that way.
I2NOY

Postby I2NOY » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:09 am

I noted in my Hercules DJControl Compact that frequencies on both VFO A and B (wheels A and B on controller) are going on changing even if the wheel is steady, after a fast rotation on it.
If you turn the wheel fast and stop it suddenly, the frequency is moving for 1-2 seconds from the wheel stop.
Does tweeking the values in Min/Max steps, after having enabled the toggle button mentioned in this thread, solve this issue?
Thanks.
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:19 am

Hi,

just tested it. As soon as the wheel on the Hercules DJ compact is stopped, the frequency stops immediatly. Works as expected here.
settings:
Min 9
Max 10

73 Ernst
OE3IDE
I2NOY

Postby I2NOY » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:28 am

Thanks Ernst.
I have to control drivers at this point.
Have you installed the Hercules suite of DJ controller or only the USB driver that is automatically installed by Windows when you plug in the first time the controller USB cable?
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:40 am

I have also installed the Hercules software.

Image 4.jpg
Image 4.jpg (57.16 KiB) Viewed 5167 times
I2NOY

Postby I2NOY » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:52 am

Set one Hercules button to toggle between fast and slow rotation of wheels and Min/Max to 9 and 10.
Now wheels work as expected. :D
Many thanks Ernst!

Return to “Macro & MIDI Controller Software, Hardware & Scripts”